Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

22 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

Really? I wasn’t impressed. Aside from the last Indiana Jones film, it’s the worst Spielberg film I’ve seen. It felt to me like a kid’s film. The acting was absolutely dreadful, the main character particularly so. I normally like Ben Mendelsohn but he was so wooden in this. 

Mind you, I thought ‘Avatar’ was a load of old toss so I probably shouldn’t have watched this in the first place.

Saw ‘You Were Never Really Here’ last week. It was pretty dark but Joaquin Pheonix is brilliant.

I think everyone with anything more evolved than a functioning limbic system agrees with you on Avatar.

It’s defintely a kid’s film. I don’t think it pretended otherwise, albeit with plenty of pop culture references for people who grew up in the 80s.

I thought it was great. An old school feel-good, sci-fi family adventure with all the Spielberg touches you’d expect. He still does this genre better than anyone else. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

41 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

I wouldn’t worry mate. It was hugely successful, we’re the wierd ones, not you.

I like a good popcorn flick, of which Cameron and Spielberg, still, are masters.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I liked avatar too :blush:

I'm just teasing...sort of.:razz:  

90% of what I watch these days are mediocre horror movies and I love them, so I'm in no position to judge anyone.

I went to see Ready Player One yesterday and I pretty much echo Gloomy's opinion.  There was a fuck in it at one point which I thought was strange given the rest of it was very much aimed at a young audience I thought.  The 80's stuff (particularly referencing stuff like The Breakfast Club and Ferris Beuller) might be a bit too much for younger people but there's enough else going on for it not to matter too much I'd guess.

We went to see it at the imax at the Silverlink and that was a real revelation.  Adjustable seats and trays for your nachos/popcorn is great.  Any time I go to see a long film I'll be trying to go and see it there.  The comfort level is miles better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Been watching Anthony Bourdain's "The Layover", his craic is decent like :lol:

Aye, I like his programmes, he’s canny funny

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Aye, I like his programmes, he’s canny funny

Unlike most chef's he doesn't take himself too seriously, some of the shit he comes out with is superb.

Edited by Anorthernsoul
  • Like 1

I really like his Parts Unknown series.  It's similar to Rick Stein's long weekend programs but goes more into the culture and politics of the places he visits.  For someone like me who pays far less attention to what's going on in the world than I should, it's quite informative as well offering up some great looking food.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, strawb said:

Eating nachos at the cinema should be a crime punishable by firing squad, see also hotdogs and them ice blast things.

I think nachos are ok as long as you finish them before the film gets going.  Can't really see the problem with hotdogs or ice blasts (apart from being disgusting).  Basically as long as you're not making a noise I couldn't really give a fuck.  I get much more pissed off with people going to the toilet five minutes into a film or before the end.  I mean I realise sometime you just have to go but surely you can wait a couple of minutes or have gone before you went in.

54 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I really like his Parts Unknown series.  It's similar to Rick Stein's long weekend programs but goes more into the culture and politics of the places he visits.  For someone like me who pays far less attention to what's going on in the world than I should, it's quite informative as well offering up some great looking food.

Planned to watch this next, definitely will now.

I've heard lots of good things about Bourdain but have always avoided it because I'm the most boring eater on the planet.

Would Parts Unknown still be worth a gander for me? For the culture and politics and that.  

There's no cooking in it they way that Stein does but there's always a fair portion of the episode devoted to going to places and eating the local food.  But in the episode that he did in Detroit he spent a fair bit of time looking at how that city has been crumbling since the motor trade moved out.  Similarly one of the last ones I watched focused on how a small town near Boston was struggling with prescription med's.  It's not all about America, he goes all around the world.  An episode he did in France was much more food focused, as was one in Spain.

The first one was Myanma I think and there's obviously a fair bit of politics in that one.  You'll probably be able to see straight away from that one whether it's worth the bother for you.  

2 hours ago, David Kelly said:

I think nachos are ok as long as you finish them before the film gets going.  Can't really see the problem with hotdogs or ice blasts (apart from being disgusting).  Basically as long as you're not making a noise I couldn't really give a fuck.  I get much more pissed off with people going to the toilet five minutes into a film or before the end.  I mean I realise sometime you just have to go but surely you can wait a couple of minutes or have gone before you went in.

It just seems like people go to the cinema to eat.

Specifc hate for nachos is the noise people make eating them, the hotdogs fucking honk and people make a slurpy noise finishing off those ice blast things. 

Always reminded me of that Warcraft South Park and the middle aged fat bloke with crisps down his top