Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

Yes, it really is.

Though I'm starting to wonder if breaking bad will better it.

While I enjoy Breaking Bad, I really can't see how anyone would think it is on the same level as The Sopranos, or even The Wire.

Thought Mad Men was boring as hell

It's a slow burn. There were points when I was willing something to happen, particularly in season 2 I think. It gets better though, and the last season was brilliant.

I've heard it's meant to be good, but my brain just won't let me watch cartoons. I'm the same with The Simpson's and Family Guy, which I know people love.

I've never really loved other cartoons like The Simpsons, but I love Archer for some reason. The first episode is probably one of their funniest, so it's easy to get hooked on.

I've never really loved other cartoons like The Simpsons, but I love Archer for some reason. The first episode is probably one of their funniest, so it's easy to get hooked on.

I cannae do it! It's on Netflix. It would be the easiest thing in the world for me to watch it, but my brain will not allow it. I put the first episode on once and immediately started looking at the internet.

While I enjoy Breaking Bad, I really can't see how anyone would think it is on the same level as The Sopranos, or even The Wire.

I think it's quite similar in many ways. Black comedy with an anti hero protagonist who you start off rooting for but eventually see for what he is.

I haven't enjoyed a tv drama as much as breaking bad since the sopranos so its up there for me. I tried and tried to get into the wire bit found it massively over rated. Didn't help that I couldn't understand a word anyone was saying in it.

Couldn't get into Mad Men at all. :(

Archer is a strange one, I think I've enjoyed the episodes I've seen - including a full season, not sure which one - but I still don't feel compelled to watch it regularly.

My current favourites are Masterchef South Africa :lol: and American Horror Story: Asylum which is pretty messed up.

I think it's quite similar in many ways. Black comedy with an anti hero protagonist who you start off rooting for but eventually see for what he is.

I'm not so sure. I always like Tony as the protagonist, whereas I'm getting a bit sick of WW. I think the difference is that Sopranos had a stronger supporting cast than BB does. Though looking at my favourite all-time shows, Sopranos, The Wire and West Wing, they all had very strong supporting casts.

I love Breaking Bad, but it's not up there with The Wire or The Sopranos.

BB is more of a comic action caper, all about the story, every series has Walter another rung up the ladder getting more expert with a new and more serious opponent, like the bosses in a video game. It has tacked on characterisation with basil exposition references to his ex and the bloke that stole her off him along with the fortune he was due for his genius. Just the odd mention to flesh out what might be behind Walters psyche. Walter has gone from a pussy to a ruthless bad-ass and the arc of his story is not very realistic.

The Sopranos was never about what escapades they were up to, it was always about the characters. They had the same motivations from start to finish. Every episode, every dream, every visit to Melfi (where he said nothing and revealed everything) was about explaining why Big T was what he was from start to finish. No-one changed, as much as they all wanted to. Tony could have done in season 1 what he did in season 6. Which is much more real.

The Wire is much more dense than either of them. It doesn't look at any one character like Tony Soprano. It has dozens of believable characters that. They're not fleshed out, but they're not romanticised...apart from Lester maybe.

Still not sure where Boardwalk Empire will fit in on the scale. Certainly better than Breaking Bad.

Watching the ITV drama about the LA actor's agent who travels through time to open a department store in London. Quite bizarre viewing for me. I would have preferred to have watched The Paradise which was on BBC1 last year but missed that. That was an adaptation of Emile Zola's Au Bonheur des Dames which is set in Le Bon Marché in Paris. The interesting bit of this post, if you're still reading, was the BBC adaptation was set in Bainbridges in Newcastle. That's because it is widely believed that Le Bon Marché was the world's first department store. This is not true, the world's first store of that kind was Bainbridges in Newcastle which opened in 1838. Hence the inspiration for the adaptation. To be honest, I'm not recommending either of them as I've not seen the Paradise and the one with Ari Gold is a bit shite.

Finished watching the second series of Game Of Thrones and really loved it cant believe the third series is more than two month away.

I'll have to move onto either Breaking Bad, The Wire or Boadwalk Empire next as I've got the first series of each of them lined up.

Finished watching the second series of Game Of Thrones and really loved it cant believe the third series is more than two month away.

I'll have to move onto either Breaking Bad, The Wire or Boadwalk Empire next as I've got the first series of each of them lined up.

Breaking bad is the one :)

I went for that purely on the basis that I thought the episodes weren't as long and it was getting late last night and I was cattled. Watched the first episode and quite enjoyed it. I'll probably watch a bit more tonight although I need to get more of Homeland watched too as it's clogging up me V+

I love Breaking Bad, but it's not up there with The Wire or The Sopranos.

BB is more of a comic action caper, all about the story, every series has Walter another rung up the ladder getting more expert with a new and more serious opponent, like the bosses in a video game. It has tacked on characterisation with basil exposition references to his ex and the bloke that stole her off him along with the fortune he was due for his genius. Just the odd mention to flesh out what might be behind Walters psyche. Walter has gone from a pussy to a ruthless bad-ass and the arc of his story is not very realistic.

The Sopranos was never about what escapades they were up to, it was always about the characters. They had the same motivations from start to finish. Every episode, every dream, every visit to Melfi (where he said nothing and revealed everything) was about explaining why Big T was what he was from start to finish. No-one changed, as much as they all wanted to. Tony could have done in season 1 what he did in season 6. Which is much more real.

The Wire is much more dense than either of them. It doesn't look at any one character like Tony Soprano. It has dozens of believable characters that. They're not fleshed out, but they're not romanticised...apart from Lester maybe.

Still not sure where Boardwalk Empire will fit in on the scale. Certainly better than Breaking Bad.

Not sure its quite as black and white as that. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer so he knew he was going to die and perhaps lost a bit of fear as he went further and further into the drug world. I quite like how its evolved although he is losing the humanity touch in the latest serious.