Duff vows to stay put

scotty84

Apparently Jonas said he wants to stay too.

YES, he will be good, I actually rate him when he's playing in the right postition.

He is great at running with the ball, he just needs to learn how and WHEN to pass the bloody thing...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the terms of employment change significantly an employer reserves the right to re-negotiate contacts. If the employee is not in agreement, he is free to seek employment elsewhere.

Whilst we might not have it written specifically into each contract, I'm pretty certain that general employment law will back this one up.

I keep seeing all this talk of pay cuts.

If there is no relegation clauses in their contracts does anyone really believe that any of the players will take a voluntary pay cut? No chance..

Am not that up on labour law but a company can change the contract of its employees if it suffers a significant changes in its circumstances. Otherwise how would companies be allowed to make redundancies? Employment law accounts for these things i believe.

Done quite a bit of employment law myself, cant see them being able to enforce a wage reduction on someone unless the individual agrees to this. What some companies do to reduce the wage bill are things such as a 4 day week as long as the T.U agrees to this, not really relevant to NUFC. With reference to the redundancies there are two main circumstances they can be enforced; business closeure and a diminished requirement for work of a particular kind, once again not really relevant to NUFC.

There's a diminished requirement for premiership footballers :lol:

Is there not a third criteria, which has been going on all around us for the last 6 months? Major companies are not closing, their revenues are being reduced and since labour is a major cost, they reduce the wage bill through redundancies. We just laid off 800 last year, with head count reductions coming from across the company. Our business model hasnt really changed, we still do all the same type of work, just with less people.

You'd obviously ask them nicely first but am sure there must be a way of adjusting a contract if that contract threatened the ongoing survival of the company?

There could be an arguement that certain players could be made redundant however one of the key things to consider is that an employer can not make an employee redundant and then replace them straight away, it is obvious that if we were to get rid of these players they would need replaced. This kind of protects employees as it stops the employer just getting rid of them 'easily'. If the club were to seriously consider getting rid of certain players (employees) they could do worse than to look at the 6 potentially fair ways to dismiss someone, the one most relevant here would be 'Capability' as there is a strong arguement several of the players are no longer able to carry out their duties to a required standard, however this required the club to follow a disciplinary procedure so could take a little while. All of this is trivial as i cant see the club going down this path.

As for adjusting the contract if it threatened the survival of the company, its a difficult one. Im not expert on this but im not certain this is an option, i think the organisation would have to ask the employee very nicely or persuade them its the best way e.g Toyota couldnt afford their wage levels in the current climate so negotiated with the workforce (Trade Union) that it was in their long term interests to accept a 4 day working week for a fixed period.

It doesn't matter if the likes of Duff will be "good in the Championship". You simply can't afford to have average players on contracts of £70,000 p/w in that division.

It doesn't matter if the likes of Duff will be "good in the Championship". You simply can't afford to have average players on contracts of £70,000 p/w in that division.

All these useless cunts are trying to hang onto the gravy train the leeches. Out.

Hanging onto Jonas would be a good sign. I'm not entirely sure what his wages are like, but he's a regular Argentinian international. I also think he can be suited to English football with the right coaching. Like Duff/Butt/Tayls, his attitude has been right, and himself and Enrique(along with Beye Bassong) would be great to keep hold of.

Hanging onto Jonas would be a good sign. I'm not entirely sure what his wages are like, but he's a regular Argentinian international. I also think he can be suited to English football with the right coaching. Like Duff/Butt/Tayls, his attitude has been right, and himself and Enrique(along with Beye Bassong) would be great to keep hold of.

Out.

I think he will be good for the Championship, I mean we can still get and keep some good players, Sheff Utd bought Beattie when they went down, fair enough he isn't Prem quality now, but he's most certinaly a top goal scorer in the Championship.

I can still see us attracting players, just not big names.

We don't now, nor have we ever, needed "big names", we've needed the right players.

The real success stories at Newcastle United were not bought for their name, they were bought for their talent. Given, Lee, etc.

Shearer and Beardsley and the like are amongst the few players whose skill matches their hype (or in Peters case outstrips it).

"big names" are who got us into this mess. I'd be delighted if we fielded 11 men I'd never heard of as long as tey do the business on the pitch and don't embarrass us off it.

I think he will be good for the Championship, I mean we can still get and keep some good players, Sheff Utd bought Beattie when they went down, fair enough he isn't Prem quality now, but he's most certinaly a top goal scorer in the Championship.

We don't now, nor have we ever, needed "big names", we've needed the right players.

The real success stories at Newcastle United were not bought for their name, they were bought for their talent. Given, Lee, etc.

Shearer and Beardsley and the like are amongst the few players whose skill matches their hype (or in Peters case outstrips it).

"big names" are who got us into this mess. I'd be delighted if we fielded 11 men I'd never heard of as long as tey do the business on the pitch and don't embarrass us off it.

Clean slate. A great opportunity to rediscover football with passion and integrity.

Clean slate. A great opportunity to rediscover football with passion and integrity.

:lol:

All these useless cunts are trying to hang onto the gravy train the leeches. Out.

This. In my experience these bastards also make their pledges of loyalty for personal reasons, either because they're busy arranging transfers but don't want to lose their "loyalty" bonuses or because they don't want the fans on their back in the street. Personally I'd like to see the back of him, that "Newcastle are too big a club for the Championship" is exactly the sort of billy big player bollocks that we can do without and which got us relegated in the first place.

Carrying on paying a player £70K a week is just a recipe for disaster, we've not the revenue to cover it.

Stan Collymore said something I actually agreed with today. Recons Owen should sign up for another year at 20% of his previous wage and pay back the club for the money it invested in him. Somehow I don't think Owen see's it that way.

Carrying on paying a player £70K a week is just a recipe for disaster, we've not the revenue to cover it.

Stan Collymore said something I actually agreed with today. Recons Owen should sign up for another year at 20% of his previous wage and pay back the club for the money it invested in him. Somehow I don't think Owen see's it that way.

Would this be the Stan Collymore who always put himself before all the clubs he paid for? Did he repay any of his wages whilst he was off work receiving stress counselling? Does he think he was good value for the transfer fee clubs like Liverpool paid for him? Staggering hypocrisy imo.

I can see his point but personally I think it would be better all round if we see the back of Owen. We don't need the aggro, hassle and press attention and Owen doesn't want to play for us.

One of the few players who played his heart out during the final games of the season - and despite playing in completely the wrong position.

Yep. If everyone else on the pitch put in the effort that he did I don't think we'd be where we are. I'm keen to keep a hold of him. If he was to go, there's absolutely no guarantee that they would replace him, so I'll stick with the bird in the hand principle.

Nowt wrong with going public and asking any big money players professing to be staying 'out of loyalty' to take a voluntary (massive) wage cut. They don't have any financial commitments to service such as mortgages etc. so the normal arguments don't apply.

Wouldnt have any legal status of course but might cut through some bullshit/make people uncomfortable enough to just fuck off.

£70k man ffs :lol:

I bet the accountants are glad Duff is being 'loyal' and staying on £70,000 per week. Duff can be a bit of a bollock, as his badge kissing at Ewood Park can testify.

He has realised no-one would give him silly wages and likes counting his money. Shame as I was at his debut against Leicester, and he was hungry and fearless even as a 17/18 year old.

if he cuts his wages he'd be worth keeping as a CCC player but otherwise he'll still be the same useless 70k a week "winger" with no pace

I thought Duff might have been one of the players who wasnt trying, but recently i've decided he just doesnt have the ability he once had. Should make left back his new position. However, paying a left back £70 per week is a joke.

• 2 weeks later...
MICK McCarthy will ask the Wolves board to sanction a move for Ireland star Damien Duff - Evening Herald

NEWCASTLE winger Damien Duff could be leaving the relegated side over the summer, with Wolves a potential bidder.

Following the clubs relegation the whole squad and of course the club have been put up for sale and according to reports in the Evening Herald, Mick McCarthy's relationship with Damien Duff could persuade the Irishman to come to Molineux.

Play-Off winners Burnley are also reportedly interested in taking Duff from Newcastle, but the Irish newspaper believes that Wolves are the favourites.

Vital Wolves Comment: What a superb signing this would be. It is just the type of name that will capture the imagination of the fans. Fingers crossed that this one is true! But I doubt it.

Shit source, but still if there is any truth in it..

:aye: