4 million bid for Duff

Scottish Mag

:mellow:

Get shot of him. Absolutely finished as a winger. Too weak to play in the middle or in the hole. Id rather try a younger lad there or else just stick Guthrie out there for the time being.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand why people would want to sell him for the money side of things, 65k a week off the wage bill inparticular, but without a doubt Duff is currently the most creative player in our team and it could be suicide getting rid of him.

That would leave us with one senior winger which is Jonas... and we all know how fucking shite he is.

I say keep Duff, unless replacements are brought in to fill the gap.

Duff has always looked better against weaker opposition (unsurprisingly) and I really think he could do a good job in the Championship.

On the other hand it would be a lot of money off the wage bill and £4m in, the only doubt would be with what happens the transfer fee.

Will selling any of our players help the club? It looks like Ashley is going to be footing the bill regardless and the money brought in won't be spent on new players so is there any benefit to us in selling?

Edited by ewerk

Actually one of the few that seems to give a shit

Agreed. He's also one of our 'better'players. And lets face it we all know that £4Mil will just go into Ashley's pocket. This ain't good.

Edited by duo

Just a thought actually, hasn't Ashley said he will put £40m in to support the club if he stays for another year? this will undoubtedly included Duffs wages as well. It won't make any difference to him whether we will see him or not.

Saying that Ashley isn't going to turn down £4m so :mellow:

By the way is there any news on who the club is yet? or are they still "un-named"

Every time we sell a player though our squad just gets weaker and weaker. I know thats likely good business, but only if we replaced him surely? We need so many players its unreal.

In regard to the on-going drama in the Toon, surely getting rid of mediocre high-wage players may sound like a good business idea at the moment but how will it affect the sale of the Club aspect.

When Ashley first put the Club up for sale didn't we have Owen, Viduka, Martins, Lovenkrands, Edgar, Cacapa, Beye, Bassong,and Given? Now they are all gone leaving the team somewhat weaker which can hardly be a selling point.

If Duff, Enrique, Jonas, and Colo also leave it will certainly lower the wage bill but will also lower the Clubs prospects of success and that is hardly a selling point.

The longer this drama goes on the the selling price can only be lessened. The absence of a manager is ludicrous at best, any new owner could get rid of any manager already in place just as Ashley did with Allardyce. I think the absence of a manager is purely a save money issue.

Ashley and his cohorts are doing all the wrong things to make the sale of the Club seem attrctive to prospective buyers. I could write a novel about the stupidity of Ashley and his business associates. If he sells Duff he may make a few bob and lower the wage bill but he will also decrease the value of the Club in regard to experienced players.

Every time we sell a player though our squad just gets weaker and weaker. I know thats likely good business, but only if we replaced him surely? We need so many players its unreal.

In regard to the on-going drama in the Toon, surely getting rid of mediocre high-wage players may sound like a good business idea at the moment but how will it affect the sale of the Club aspect.

When Ashley first put the Club up for sale didn't we have Owen, Viduka, Martins, Lovenkrands, Edgar, Cacapa, Beye, Bassong,and Given? Now they are all gone leaving the team somewhat weaker which can hardly be a selling point.

If Duff, Enrique, Jonas, and Colo also leave it will certainly lower the wage bill but will also lower the Clubs prospects of success and that is hardly a selling point.

The longer this drama goes on the the selling price can only be lessened. The absence of a manager is ludicrous at best, any new owner could get rid of any manager already in place just as Ashley did with Allardyce. I think the absence of a manager is purely a save money issue.

Ashley and his cohorts are doing all the wrong things to make the sale of the Club seem attrctive to prospective buyers. I could write a novel about the stupidity of Ashley and his business associates. If he sells Duff he may make a few bob and lower the wage bill but he will also decrease the value of the Club in regard to experienced players.

"100 million for St James' Park and I'll throw the Academy and Training Grounds in for free"

"What about the players???!!!?"

"errr................"

if we were assembling a squad for the championship, i'd say it was a good move. as it stands, players are going but none are coming, nor is a manager and the end of the transfer window is looming.

Mjones.jpg

Hard to say no to it if it's 4 million, however won't Duff also have to agree to personal terms? I can't see Bolton or Fulham paying 60k for him, so he may elect to reject any offers?

He was poor in the first half against West Brom, but improved a great deal in the second half (including his quality first time finish). He's much better IMO when he doesn't spend too much time of the ball, needs to move it on/cross it in quickly before the defense has a chance to settle. He played ok for the Republic of Ireland (against Australia) yesterday. Interestingly he also played on the right for them (he was a substituted at the half).

How much have we made then? I've not seen confirmed fees.

Martins £9m

Bassong £9m

Beye £2m

Duff £4m

£24m total.

Quarter of the clubs value gone already.

Assuming this is the book value of these players, to my mind the value of the club would only diminish if the club doesn't get any of the cash. Otherwise you've just swapped assets of $24m for cash/debtors of $24m. Plus you've removed the high cost of their wages.

Of course it depends on who (if anybody) you get in to replace them. If Dean Windass came in for Martins and Kevin Muscat came in for Duff for instance, as a purchaser you might think the club is worse off just because your squad was significantly weaker. I know I bloody would.

How much have we made then? I've not seen confirmed fees.

Martins £9m

Bassong £9m

Beye £2m

Duff £4m

£24m total.

Quarter of the clubs value gone already.

Assuming this is the book value of these players, to my mind the value of the club would only diminish if the club doesn't get any of the cash. Otherwise you've just swapped assets of $24m for cash/debtors of $24m. Plus you've removed the high cost of their wages.

What I assume is that it'll come off the loan from Barclays rather than Ashley, so maintaining (or slightly increasing) the clubs value. However, the question is what that loan was used for in the first place.

We've had 2 years of fat fuck telling us the club has no debts and the books are balanced, then all of a sudden we're relegated and there's a £40m Barclayloan and a mortgage outstanding. We've bought no players, and we've received a parachute payment to cover immediate costs, so what was the loan for?

My guess is, they estimated the maximum squad value, borrowed it to pay off some Ashley debt immediately and are now in the process of recouping it on behalf of the club who "have to sell to survive".

The club won't be sold with £24m in the bank to invest. It'll be with significant debt and without a first team squad.

BBC:

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson is hopeful of signing Damien Duff after offering Newcastle £4m to buy the winger.

Republic of Ireland international Duff, 30, has been at St James' Park since joining from Chelsea for £5m in 2006.

"The clubs are talking and I hope the deal goes through," Hodgson said. "He is a player that interests us."

Meanwhile, veteran goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, 36, has signed a new one-year contract extension with Fulham to keep him at the club until 2011.

Duff, who grabbed Newcastle's equaliser in their opening-day draw with West Brom last week, has scored six goals in 86 games for the Magpies.

He spent three years in west London with Chelsea between 2003 and 2006 after making his name at Blackburn.

Duff worked under Hodgson as a teenager at Ewood Park and, according to the Cottagers boss, is keen to return to the capital.

"Damien and I go back a long way from when we worked together at Blackburn," added Hodgson. "He wants to come back to west London."

"Damien had injury problems at Chelsea and has done well at Newcastle given the turmoil there.

"Every time he's played for Ireland he's consistently been one of their best performers.

"We know what we'd be getting with Damien - he's an experienced and quality player."

But Hodgson's bid to sign former Newcastle striker Mark Viduka is over after the 33-year-old Australian decided to call time on his career in England.

"I wanted to know if he wanted to continue playing in the Premier League," Hodgson explained. "But by the end of our discussion it was pretty clear he'd made his decision to leave it behind and start a new life."

Meanwhile, BBC Radio 5 live has learned that David O'Leary is no longer in contention for the vacant manager's job at Newcastle.

The 51-year-old former Leeds United and Aston Villa manager was linked with the Magpies earlier this week, when it was thought owner Mike Ashley had decided the club was no longer for sale.

Fuck it, just sell the whole first team. Just play with the u19s or something. Maybe get a couple more loan players, shit, maybe even get some fans to play in a "live the dream" weekly competition?!

Ive gone past apathy, anger & bemusement and am currently hovering around disgust.

Absolute joke. Was first to come out and say he wants to stay as he scored the goal which relegated us ( altho the whole season relegated us ) one of the players who could make a difference. No chance of going up this season if this carries on.

Fuck it, just sell the whole first team. Just play with the u19s or something. Maybe get a couple more loan players, shit, maybe even get some fans to play in a "live the dream" weekly competition?!

Ive gone past apathy, anger & bemusement and am currently hovering around disgust.

Fans pay Assley to play in the team...... don't say things like that where he may hear. :blink:

Has to go for that kind of money,

but he wont be replaced no doubt

Seems a bit cheap to me, we need Duff far more than we need £4million.

The problem is there's no manager so bringing players in wont really happen unless they're on loan. Why a manager has still not been appointed is beyond me, Ashley has had ALL summer to bring one in. I'll probably get shot down in flames for this but surely even Kinnear is a better bet than a caretaker manager - the club needs stability and a permanent manager would bring some.

If Ashley ever sells, Kinnear can be replaced.