Noel Gallagher quits Oasis

ewerk

Noel Gallagher "quitting Oasis"

In the past, relations between the two brothers have been tempestuous

Noel Gallagher has announced he is quitting rock band Oasis because he can no longer work with his brother Liam.

Noel, the founding member of the band, made the statement on the band's website. He said a series of rows with his brother led to the decision.

The guitarist said: "It's with some sadness and great relief to tell you that I quit Oasis tonight.

"People will write and say what they like, but I simply could not go on working with Liam a day longer."

"Apologies to all the people who bought tickets for the shows in Paris, Konstanz and Milan," he added.

'Gutted'

Earlier it was announced the band had cancelled their second gig in the space of a week because of "an altercation within the band".

They had been expected to play the Rock en Seine festival in Paris, but fans at the concert were told by the support band that Oasis would not be performing.

Many of the crowd thought it was a joke - until screens at either side of the stage showed the message "as a result of an altercation within the band, the Oasis gig has been cancelled".

Oasis fans used Twitter to respond to the news that lead guitarist Noel had quit.

'Worst day ever'

PsychedelicAdam posted: "Noel Gallagher leaves Oasis? Gutted, no more Oasis then I guess, they were one of my favourite bands."

Wolvolass said: "I feel sick, sooo many good memories and gigs seeing Oasis over the years."

MattGriffin added: "This is the worst day ever."

On Sunday the band had also cancelled their headline slot at the V Festival in Essex after Liam was diagnosed with viral laryngitis.

They performed in Stafford on Saturday but the singer was advised by doctors not to perform again.

First three albums where fucking awesome in my humble but shite opinion, can't say I'm gutted, but gutted I never saw them live at their pomp.

Haven't had a good album since their second one. If they'd done this years ago people might have thought they were missing something, but by now people know that they're basically a bit rubbish.

There's a good chance there'll be a u turn on this anyway.

Guest Stevie
First three albums where fucking awesome in my humble but shite opinion, can't say I'm gutted, but gutted I never saw them live at their pomp.

The third album became popular to abuse, even Noel did, but I think it was tremendous personally and I agree the first three were class. They should've chucked it in 1997 after that third album, they've had some decent singles since, but nothing to match what they had previously.

I guarantee 100% they will be back together and this is a very thinly veiled publicity stunt. Noel is a complete cock anyway a fucking lawnmoor wouldn't be able to trim his eyebrows sufficiently, I hope he gets the reception he deserves if he comes back to Newcastle after his comments in May the manc cunt.

Good.

'94-'96 they were absolutely at the height of their powers, captured the moment and produced two of my favourite albums of all-time.

Since then, nothing of any significance. Clearly the hunger to write good tunes ebbs when you move from a Manchester housing estate to a mansion in London with a giant pile of cocaine on the table. The drop in quality is so vast that my third favourite Oasis album is the one with the B-sides from the first two.

If Noel carries this through, which I think he should, I reckon he could do a really good acoustic solo album.

Oasis to me disbanded in '99 when 'Bonehead' & McGuigan left within a couple of weeks of each other. All that left was the Gallaghers who by that point believed far too much in their own hype.

Noel is a gifted songwriter and should have concentrated on making music for others years ago. Liam can sing but I don't think he's anything that special.

2nd Album will always be the best for me - was an album which always felt like one track in it's own right which IMO is the mark of a brilliant album. There's been flashes of brilliance here and there since with the odd decent single but nothing quite like what they had back then.

All happened too late IMO.

Just wait till the money gets a bit tighter. :lol:

If you see him/hear his solo acoustic stuff he's very very good. Oasis have been going through the motions for well over 10 years. I think they'll soldier on but get woefully worse, while I look forward to Noels solo stuff.

The third album became popular to abuse, even Noel did, but I think it was tremendous personally and I agree the first three were class.

Aye, Be Here Now was fantastic. A little bit overblown perhaps, due to them being coked up, but still really good.

For me, Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants was the nadir, and after that they improved again, although they've never hit the heights of their first two albums again.

I've seen them live 5 or 6 times and they are a brilliant live act.

I think what'll happen now is there'll be a break, Noel will do some solo stuff. Oasis might continue without him for a while, but at some point, I'd bet he goes back.

They never reached the heights of their first 3 albums (but few bands do), but I thought their recent stuff wasn't bad to be honest. They were great live (assuming you got the 'good' liam) and I've listened to the stuff Noel & Gem did live together and that was canny too.

They are one of my favorite bands, but they came with a lot of baggage. I'd be interested to hear Noel solo/Noel & Gem.

Was always on the cards though. Lian can't handle the fact his brother has all the talent. Meenz's lyrical quote is a case in point.