Interest in Beckford?

wykikitoon

Good news, Wiki, he may costy even more

NEWCASTLE United may have to up their bid again to capture Jermaine Beckford – according to Leeds boss Simon Grayson.

The calm figure of Grayson today told United: “We are in full control of the situation” as Leeds continued their game of hardball over the long, drawn-out transfer saga of the wantaway Londoner.

Grayson said today: “What is the right price?

“I am not going to go into that because I do not want to do our business in public.

“We do not have to accept his transfer request, we will do what is right – and if that means keeping him we will do that.

“We have to get the right man to replace him to keep what we are doing on track.

“Jermaine is a good player, but he has a price on his head.

“You do have to take into consideration he wants to leave, but we will take our chance and dictate what we want do.”

Beckford faces an anxious wait to see if he has been axed from Grayson’s starting line-up to face Wycombe Wanderers tomorrow.

The Chronicle understands there is unlikely to be any major progress on the Beckford deal over the weekend.

Leeds are content to play for time with Newcastle, who now have a free weekend to mull over transfer targets after the trip to Reading was postponed.

Leeds’ League One clash with Wycombe is one of the fixtures this weekend to survive the big freeze.

However, less than a week after being crowned the king of Old Trafford, Beckford could find himself out in the cold and benched for the meeting with the Chairboys.

For not only has Beckford’s agent Nick Rubery, who also looks after Nile Ranger, forced Leeds’ hand by making his transfer request public, but the 26-year-old striker has made it clear he wants a move to St James’ Park – and this has increased irritation levels at Elland Road.

Again, Chris Hughton – who publicly declared a fresh interest in long-term target Beckford in the Chronicle on December 29 – expressed his admiration for Beckford in his weekly news briefing ahead of the Reading game before it was cancelled.

A furious Grayson added: “There are too many scenarios which could happen, but while he is here, he is a Leeds United player and he will be considered for selection.

“If he plays tomorrow I expect him to do that and continue what he has been doing.

“You have to give him credit because there has been a lot of speculation since last summer.

“He was on the transfer list, then he was off it, but he has got his head down and scored 20 goals this season.

“On Sunday he showed on a fantastic stage what he can do – the people behind him and the whole squad showed that too and I don’t want that getting lost in all this.

“He has scored five goals in three games now, and there is no reason why that will not continue.

“It is not ideal it has come out. We wanted to keep it in house and if we received an offer for him that we considered to be acceptable then we’d consider it. But we’ve said that all along.

“It was put out into the public domain by whoever, and that’s disappointing.

“I’m not like that – I try to do my business in house and keep it under wraps.

“Everyone is aware of his scenario now and, if anything, it highlights his position more.

“The scenario hasn’t changed. Jermaine will only leave if we get the right price for him.”

Meanwhile, Hughton has dismissed reports today that he is interested in signing Preston North End defender Sean St Ledger.

Hughton said: “There is nothing in that one.”

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is greedy, moans at players and throws his dummy out when Grayson takes him off!

Comparable with a certain Andrew Cole when he was on our books. :icon_lol:

IMO strikers (I differentiate them from 'forwards') need, by definition to be greedy. It's their role to jump on any ball and try to stick it in the net.

And what's wrong with a player having the hump about being substituted? Nowt wrong with a bit of passion.

There is greedy and wasting chances time after time like he does.

There isnt ANYTHING wrong at all with passion but effing and geffing at the gaffer when youre being taken off is wrong.

Hang on a second, he's scored 20 goals this season and you're claiming he's wasted chance after chance? Yet you say he's lazy? It doesn't add up man! ;)

Nobody reads my posts do they?

Leeds United create a fucking SHEDLOAD of chances per match because they have a midfield thats better than the rest of the gash in the league.

If Beckford gets 8 chances per game he will score. Yet he is only scoring 1 of them.

As you go up the leagues the chances will get less with the better opposition unless you improve your chances with better crosses, passes etc.

So the conversion from League One to Chumpionship is even bigger. So say we give him 3 of them chances I cant see him scoring ANY.

No I've read your posts in this thread and you claimed he was lazy. But then you say he's wasting chance after chance so he's evidently doing something?

From what I can gather you're putting Leeds on a par with NUFC and Beckford on a par with Shola and Harewood by suggesting he's lazy.

Neither Ameobi or Goomba has scored goals for fun in a league their club is running away with yet Beckford has.

BTW I don't consider a scoring rate of 1 in 8 chances as bad. The best strikers in a league will only average at best a goal every other game.

It's not a choice between Beckford and A.N. Other, it's a choice between Beckford and nee bugger.

I still think we will show an interest in Boyd if we don't get Beckford as its looking like the penny pinchers in charge are trying to get those coming to the end of the their contracts in on the cheap. We done the same with Kilgallon and with that looking like a failed effort I wouldn't be surprised for them to look at Gary Caldwell for the same reason.

It's not a choice between Beckford and A.N. Other, it's a choice between Beckford and nee bugger. For that reason I'll take him.

I see it as a fairly risk free investment. If he arrives and doesn't score then we haven't spunked Owenesque amounts of money on a striker, if he arrives and he scores in the Championship then the money we earn from promotion will justify his fee and if he arrives and he scores in the Championship and Premiership then we've got a bargain. Fact of the matter is he's a natural goalscorer - something we don't have at the club currently. Carroll is a big man, Ranger is still too raw, Lovenkrands is capable of going missing from games and Shola is, well...Shola.

I don't know why Wykiki is getting so annoyed about it. Did he fuck your lass or something? ;)

My problem with him is that I (like most others) are unconvinced as to whether he will cut it in the PL. Yes he might be decent in the Championship but if we go up this season and Hughton goes to Ashley and asks him for a new striker then Ashley could well turn round and say, 'well what about that fella we bought in January? We don't need another one'. Then we're fucked next season.

What I don't understand is that the Leeds fans are saying he has established legend status at the club and they all rate him. However by wanting out, he has betrayed them. Take a look at their forum. As a result, I can't comprehend why wyki is saying he is so shiet.

Edited by Attain

Is greedy, moans at players and throws his dummy out when Grayson takes him off!

Comparable with a certain Andrew Cole when he was on our books. ;)

IMO strikers (I differentiate them from 'forwards') need, by definition to be greedy. It's their role to jump on any ball and try to stick it in the net.

And what's wrong with a player having the hump about being substituted? Nowt wrong with a bit of passion.

my thoughts exactly.

What I don't understand is that the Leeds fans are saying he has established legend status at the club and they all rate him. However by wanting out, he has betrayed them.

Cantona, Ferdinand, Smith, Kewell to name but a few all fit into that same category ;)

I hope we jut leave our offer on the table and say nought more. Leeds are desperate to sell him now before he goes for nothing, despite what they say. It's 1.5 million for less than 6 months of having the player.

Leeds = Chancers.

fuck that beckford man, bring in boyd..

I agree...

Beckford wasnt too long ago playing non-league football, if he was anygood as a youngun he would of been with a professional team...He has got lucky!

Theres no doubt he has SOME ability but tht abilty is magnified just because he has pace....1.5mil tops...take it or fuck off bates!

Boyd on the other hand is a much more complete striker so id much rather we spent a couple of mil more and got him instead...doubt it will happen, for it to actually happen would require a molecule of ambition and common sense!

Oh and WBA are going for Matty Fryatt..........

Leeds = Chancers.

fuck that beckford man, bring in boyd..

I agree...

Beckford wasnt too long ago playing non-league football, if he was anygood as a youngun he would of been with a professional team...He has got lucky!

Theres no doubt he has SOME ability but tht abilty is magnified just because he has pace....1.5mil tops...take it or fuck off bates!

Boyd on the other hand is a much more complete striker so id much rather we spent a couple of mil more and got him instead...doubt it will happen, for it to actually happen would require a molecule of ambition and common sense!

Oh and WBA are going for Matty Fryatt..........

I agree with the sentiment but it's a bit far saying the got lucky, he practicaly scored a goal a game last season and has 20 by new year this season ;)

I se Grayson thinks he can go on to bigger things than us.

“I am sure if he is still here on February 1, he will then keep performing well until the end of the season because, if he does that, he might get a free transfer to an even bigger club than the one he was going to join in the window.”

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/foo..._land_Beckford/?

I presume he means Wolves or Wigan. Stupid cunt.

It's a very strange transfer this to say the least. A lot of Leeds fans are saying he's not that good, most are desperate for him to stay, and state he's at the biggest club he'll ever play for ;) , while a lot of our fans myself included don't think he's good enough for a club like us. I certainly don't, he is not even the top scorer in division three, and we are interested in him. In 15 years we've went from breaking world transfer records to signing strikers from Barcelona and Inter Milan, to courting Division Three players from non entity clubs. If that doesn't encapsulates the demise of this club then I don't know what does.

Well you lot have certainly tried your damnest to try and emulate us. Even down to nicking our manager :icon_lol:

Imitation, it certainly flatters us Eh!!

I for one, hope he ends up with you. Two million quid..... <_<:angry::) Go on, pay it. PLEASE.

Remember he's free soon. :icon_lol:

Edited by sprouticus

;) indeed.

I'm amazed You have not tapped up Grayson yet. He has to be one of the best managers outside the premiership.

What about Robert Snodgrass? He's not bad either. Maybe young Aidy White if you are lacking a bit of pace at the back.

The possibilities are endless.

The thought of Chopra coming back as our saviour to get us into the pl is absolutely depressing.

Getting Chopra back would be a piss-poor option. He's custom made for the Championship. In the Premier League he'd be about as useful as Mido at a Weight Watchers meeting. Plus his price is ridiculously inflated.

I actually thought a possible solution would be Harewood going to Leeds with Beckford coming here. The problem being Harewood isn't our player and I couldn't see him dropping down another league (or Leeds paying his wages) but it's been mentioned on the Beeb's gossip column today (albeit via The Sun) that Leeds might go for Harewood as an option on loan if Beckford does leave.

Edited by alex