Interest in Beckford?

wykikitoon

I am not sure if he will be a top player but his pace is good and his desire to score goals is good. At any level of football a player like that who wants to get behind defenders and has such pace is a good outlet and worth a punt. He def has a few attributes that we lack where we rely far too much on Guittierez. Find it hard to believe that people would not take him and accept he is better than Ameobi and Carroll or getting Harewood on loan again.

Echoes of a certain Andrew Cole who in 1993 brought characteristics to an already successful side which were evidently missing at the time (i.e. pace & clinical finishing).

IIRC some questioned the signing of Cole saying it was a lot of money for a player who was largely unproven at our level and had failed at the level above us. Yet signing for us proved to be the making of him and suddenly the world sat up and took noticed agreeing we'd got him at a snip.

Write off Beckford at your peril IMO. He'll either be in the Premiership next season or a top-end Championship club. And if he proves successful, we'll be absolutely kicking ourselves.....

Agreed but I just can't see it happening, besides we've not exactly missed out on him due to some fans not wanting him, hes not here now because mike ashley is too cheap to shell out for someone from a league one club for a promotion push to the PL

Which is exactly the position we'd have been in back in the SJH days had a certain Mr Keegan not given his testicles a gentle squeeze :)

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure if he will be a top player but his pace is good and his desire to score goals is good. At any level of football a player like that who wants to get behind defenders and has such pace is a good outlet and worth a punt. He def has a few attributes that we lack where we rely far too much on Guittierez. Find it hard to believe that people would not take him and accept he is better than Ameobi and Carroll or getting Harewood on loan again.

Echoes of a certain Andrew Cole who in 1993 brought characteristics to an already successful side which were evidently missing at the time (i.e. pace & clinical finishing).

IIRC some questioned the signing of Cole saying it was a lot of money for a player who was largely unproven at our level and had failed at the level above us. Yet signing for us proved to be the making of him and suddenly the world sat up and took noticed agreeing we'd got him at a snip.

Write off Beckford at your peril IMO. He'll either be in the Premiership next season or a top-end Championship club. And if he proves successful, we'll be absolutely kicking ourselves.....

Cole was alot younger and inexperienced with the potential to develop into the player Keegan made him, and was playing in the same division as us. Beckford is much older and less likely to develop as much as Cole did, and is scoring goals a division below for a team that by and large are rolling people over making life easy for him.

Not saying he definitely won't do the business in the prem, but i think at best he'll do ok there, but i'd be absolutely stunned if he came close to matching Coles goal scoring exploits!

I'd not have been unhappy if we had got him this window mind as he would definitely have helped our promotion bid and if he wasn't too expensive it wouldn't have been a big gable if he didn't work out in the prem, but he isn't Andy Cole.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Cole was alot younger and inexperienced with the potential to develop into the player Keegan made him, and was playing in the same division as us. Beckford is much older and less likely to develop as much as Cole did, and is scoring goals a division below for a team that by and large are rolling people over making life easy for him.

Not saying he definitely won't do the business in the prem, but i think at best he'll do ok there, but i'd be absolutely stunned if he came close to matching Coles goal scoring exploits!

I'd not have been unhappy if we had got him this window mind as he would definitely have helped our promotion bid and if he wasn't too expensive it wouldn't have been a big gable if he didn't work out in the prem, but he isn't Andy Cole.

More Norris Cole than Andy Cole.

true. Leeds fans have told me he needs lots of chances but in my book 20 + goals and the belief and desire in yourself to keep getting them speaks for itself along with the attributes I've mentioned already in particular the pace and getting behind defenders which I like a lot in any player.

In fact, Andy Cole lacked a good first touch too but he was lightening quick and when you watched him he was always moving before others in the box and reacting first. Mick Quinn was actually one of the most dead eye finishers I have seen play for the toon but he lacked the pace and mobility to be a top player. Not too many of them are the complete article thats the way it goes.

true. Leeds fans have told me he needs lots of chances but in my book 20 + goals and the belief and desire in yourself to keep getting them speaks for itself along with the attributes I've mentioned already in particular the pace and getting behind defenders which I like a lot in any player.

In fact, Andy Cole lacked a good first touch too but he was lightening quick and when you watched him he was always moving before others in the box and reacting first. Mick Quinn was actually one of the most dead eye finishers I have seen play for the toon but he lacked the pace and mobility to be a top player. Not too many of them are the complete article thats the way it goes.

Andy Cole should have given half his pay to Beardsley at Newcastle.

He never got close to the rate of goals he scored alongside Beardsley at any other club.

He never got close to the rate of goals he scored alongside Beardsley at any other club.

and Rob Lee

and Rob Lee

Someone mentioned Hughton's kid the other day, but Rob Lee's kid Oliver is 18 and just getting in the reserves at West ham.

Get him up here on the cheap and he'll be an instant favourite.

Mmm, the prospect of signing a modern day Pedro or even Rob Lee for that matter would be great.

His younger son Elliot is on the books at West Ham too. Should be about 15 now.

Imagine two Rob Lee's in the middle.

;)

Mmm, the prospect of signing a modern day Pedro or even Rob Lee for that matter would be great.

His younger son Elliot is on the books at West Ham too. Should be about 15 now.

Imagine two Rob Lee's in the middle.

;)

I was going to say I wondered why he sent him there and not to our academy, then I thought about the standard of players West Hammer have turned out from theirs as opposed to ours in the past. ;)

• 4 months later...
Everton sign former Leeds striker Jermaine Beckford

Everton have signed Jermaine Beckford on a four-year deal after the striker's contract at Leeds was cancelled early.

The 26-year-old had been linked with a number of clubs after his 31 goals helped Leeds gain promotion to the Championship in the 2009/10 season.

He put in a transfer request in January but when a £1.5m bid from Newcastle was rejected soon after, he came off the list before linked to Everton.

"I want to test myself at the highest level," said Beckford.

And the forward indicated that the influence of Toffees manager David Moyes played a major part in his decision to move to Goodison Park.

"I've been impressed a lot by him [Moyes]," stated Beckford. "He seems like the type of guy who will sit down and tell you where you're going wrong, what you're doing right and what you might need to work on.

"It is a club I can learn from and it can help me develop into a better player. Fingers crossed, I can be really involved in taking this club where it wants to be."

Beckford, who began his career as a youngster at Chelsea, joined Leeds from non-League Wealdstone in March 2006 but initially struggled for first-team football and was loaned out to Carlisle and Scunthorpe during the 2006/07 campaign.

However, when the Yorkshire club were relegated from the Championship to League One, Beckford became a first-choice up front, notching 20 goals.

The Londoner followed that up with a huge 34-goal haul in 2008/09 before he bounced back from the disappointment of losing a play-off semi-final to Millwall with a near repeat goal tally this year.

And although one of those 31 goals came at Old Trafford - the winning strike in the 1-0 FA Cup third round victory against Manchester United in January - Beckford expects the step up in class to the Premier League to be a major challenge.

"I am excited by it," he added "It's going to be a test, I know that, but I am looking forward to it."

Must mean Boyd is on his way. No way Big Mike would let us miss out on two free transfers in one window.

So Leeds rejected some money from us to flog him in January but let him go for free in June.

He didn't contribute much in the second half of the season iirc?

Must mean Boyd is on his way. No way Big Mike would let us miss out on two free transfers in one window.

So Leeds rejected some money from us to flog him in January but let him go for free in June.

He didn't contribute much in the second half of the season iirc?

I think beckford rejected us and Everton did not need to pay the money when they could get him on a free.

I was joking in my first post though.

And Re:Yak, has he done much since he got back from his injury?

Lets hope Hughton doesn't make a move for yakubu. A double pronged attack of a fat nigerian with a useless nigerian won't keep us up.

The Yak's goal scoring record in the Premiership is quite good tbf. Although he seems to be one of those players that goes on a run and can't stop scoring, then he can't find the net for 20 games.

Lets hope Hughton doesn't make a move for yakubu. A double pronged attack of a fat nigerian with a useless nigerian won't keep us up.

The Yak's goal scoring record in the Premiership is quite good tbf. Although he seems to be one of those players that goes on a run and can't stop scoring, then he can't find the net for 20 games.

one of the highest scoring foreigners in the history of the PL if I remember correctly, but he's had his injuries now and is probably only on the downward spiral to mediocrity, so we'll almost certainly sign him.

one of the highest scoring foreigners in the history of the PL if I remember correctly, but he's had his injuries now and is probably only on the downward spiral to mediocrity, so we'll almost certainly sign him.

Not really. He's got 78 goals, that still leaves him ten short of the top 25 premiership goalscorers, which includes 7 foreigners, the last of which is Solsjkaeer with 91.

Agree, he might well be a handy player for Everton but we certainly need someone with experience that he doens't have. If we did get him I'm sure Hughton would have him as the only new forward.

Guest alex
Would have been a better signing than Best anyway.

That's the daft thing, I know it was quite a lot of money for someone with half a season left on their contract but the way to look at it should've been getting someone similar in the summer would cost a fair bit and we paid more for Best than Leeds wanted. I know he's got a bit of baggage and he's not exactly the complete player but we're not going to get anyone better.