JonTheMag

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carroll MOM on Sky... deserved it imo.

Yup, he was mine aswell.

2 good saves by Harper and a solid performance by Jose too like.

Was getting twitchy with all this suicide defending mind.

Edited by 1892

Saturdays Fixtures

Blackpool v Scunthorpe, 15:00

Crystal Palace v Middlesbrough, 15:00

Derby v Coventry (Friday night)

Leicester v West Brom, 15:00

Newcastle v Peterborough, 15:00

Nottm Forest v Bristol City, 15:00

Plymouth v Doncaster, 15:00

Reading v Ipswich, 15:00

Sheff Wed v QPR, 15:00

Swansea v Cardiff, 12:45

Watford v Preston, 15:00

Leicester vs West Brom will be interesting plus anything can happen in the Welsh derby. Hopefully the players will have a chip on their shoulder in regards to Peterborough and work on extending our lead.

3 points, 2 to Harper. Enrique MOTM in the outfield, though I wish he'd occassionally have a crack at goal. Carroll was also a stand-out depsite being constantly molested by the eventual match winner Morgan.

Harper - 9 when called on to make a save he was there. Not perfect, but close enough.

Simpson - 6.5 decent, didn't have a great deal to do. Often got the ball in poor positions a lot of the time it wasn't his fault.

Coloccini - 7 Did well in what was a physical match. Made some key tackles, and even broke forward impressively to earn a corner.

Kadar - 6.5 overall was decent, a few times didn't clear when he should have. Likes to be on the ball a little too much for a defender (even though he looked half decent on the ball a few times he should be looking to pass the ball out rather than run it)

Enrique - 9.5 never beaten in defense, rarely stopped breaking forward. Earned a swag of corners for us.

Raylor - 6.5 decent and versatile, copped an unfair yellow, but thankfully missed out on one when it was due later.

Butt - 6 wasn't heavily involved, but still made some key tackles and interceptions.

Smith - 6 see Butt.

Jonas - 6 copped some overly critical appraisals on here. Have a decent game, and looked more committed than he has in the past (eg. screaming back to make a sliding tackle)

Nolan - 6.5 a little lost moving between midfield and up front. A few times he had the ball in space, but clearly didn't have the pace or support to do much with it.

Carroll - 8 Physical presence thoughout the match. Looked sharp in attack, kept good control of the ball but needed someone to work with.

Subs:

Ranger - 7 again looked very good at hold up play, not on for long but did well to pickup the pace of the game straight away. Should have been on earlier from mine.

Harewood - 1 don't understand why he is being played. A great ball down the middle for him to run on to, and he wasted it hopelessly.

What was dangerous was the amount of balls that we let get sent into the box. Very nearly cost us the match. Need to close down players out wide to at least apply pressure to their crosses. This was particarly evident when Ryan Taylor was called back into defense when Simpson went off, and when Jonas departed for Harewood. We lost two wide midfield option for central players. Ranger coming on made sense, but it should not have been Simpson coming off unless he had taken a knock. The Harewood substitution made absolutely no sense.

Not pretty, but ground out a 1-0 win which i'll happilly take.

As people have said Harper and Enrique stood out with Carroll also putting in a decent shift, but good to see us back to getting a clean sheet, with Saylor still yet to return.

Carroll was class tonight, that bit of skill near the end when he took two out the game. If someone like Keegan was in charge, a good motivator and confidence builder, he could a long way. He's definitely a confidence player but all younguns are. I couldnt help but think Ryan Taylor got interviewed before him, cos Carroll is so dense though.

Jonas head is gone, his head isn't here anymore, Roma 5m yes please. Everyone who see Harper's save will say "unbelievable" etc... if it goes in your slating him, good save but put ye cocks back in.

Two out of three ain't bad predictions wise. Other than that, I think Stevies assesment is bob on iyam. Harper did well but as much of it was woeful Shef Utd finishing as it was expert 'keeping

What annoyed me about Harper was after each Sheffield attack he just booted it as far away as possible for another Sheffield player to pick up and start another wave of attack.

We should have just shown some composure, held possession and slowly built up our play. We were just inviting pressure at an already tense moment.

What annoyed me about Harper was after each Sheffield attack he just booted it as far away as possible for another Sheffield player to pick up and start another wave of attack.

We should have just shown some composure, held possession and slowly built up our play. We were just inviting pressure at an already tense moment.

Also the fact our defence and midfield was standing flat on our 18 yard box instead pushing up did't help.

When we press, especially from the front, there isn't an opposition in this league that can cope but it's like we do it for 15 minutes at the start of the second half and then ease off. They're professional footballers for fuck sake, they should be ale to do it for a full game.

Also the fact our defence and midfield was standing flat on our 18 yard box instead pushing up did't help.

When we press, especially from the front, there isn't an opposition in this league that can cope but it's like we do it for 15 minutes at the start of the second half and then ease off. They're professional footballers for fuck sake, they should be ale to do it for a full game.

Yep, I think part of this was the fact that Hughton had taken off Simpson and Jonas. So we had three strikers (whose idea of defending is probably clattering their bodies around in the box) Smith, Butt and Nolan patrolling the central areas and nobody covering the men out wide. That's precisely where they were sending ball after ball into our box from, and although it wasn't pretty they nearly scored as a result of one of them. Put that down to poor substitution decisions. Jonas is an easy sub for Hughton but IMO he should not have come off as he was still defending outwide till the very end and was putting in effort despite. I'm also not sure why Simpson came off (knock?). Getting Ranger on was a good idea, though it should not have been for Simpson.

Edited by OzToonFan

Kevin Wankwell's interview after the game oh dear. Don't get me wrong it was a scrappy game, and largely it was a very ordinary Newcastle performance, but the 20 minutes after half time showed the biggest dominant period of the game for either side, and that was Newcastle's. The rest was "nip and tuck" with Sheffield desperate and pumping long balls in there, so for him to say they were by far and way the better side shows what a nob he is. He's a smug tosser, I don't know what it is but you get a lot of them in that area from Watford and Enfield north to Bedfordshire, never met anyone from those areas who aint a cunt. I have a feeling they will keep losing, Ched Evans is woeful in my view, Carroll has a better chance than him and he didn't cost us £3m, and in a Peasepud style prediction I think he'll be sacked by Christmas, to be replaced by Neil Warnock again.

Not sure why Harewood came on. Hughton got lucky there.

Agree, it was a bizarre and frankly awful decision. I think bringing Ranger on was very sensible as it helped relieve the pressure on the back four. But bringing Harewood on to play on the right was crazy.

It got the 3 points so we shouldn't really complain.

Sheff Utd were always going to be all out hustle and hurry us and we just needed to dig in deep.

I didnt mind starting with 4-5-1 but you need Guti to offer width. He just kept cutting in all of the time and making it even more congested.

Edited by Holden McGroin

I've noticed a pattern in the away games I've seen - overall we look like the "better" team in terms of player quality which has worked out but games have turned on missed chances for the other team - Cardiff, Ipswich and Sheff U all missed good ones whereas Forest and Scunthorpe scored.

Whether you put that down to blind luck or a lack of consistent opposition quality (which is why we lost all the similar games last year) its something I don't think will last all year as a positive balance.

The defence looks like its done well but I still theres work to be done. We also need to be creating a lot more chances which is down to lack of guile.