Newcastle United vs Middlesbrough

Tom

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2-0, lovely 3 points, brilliant win, but a less than brilliant performence. We are grinding out the points but we are not showing any improvement in the way we play and that's hard to understand given the quality and experience we have in the squad.

Despite the goal Harewood was shite.

Despite the goal Ameobe wasn't much better.

Despite the 2 goals we were pretty toothless in attack.

Jonas' forward movement of the ball in the first half could be attributed to the number of free kicks he was awarded.

Defence was quite solid and Colo had a decent game.

Another 3 points but 90 minutes with one moment of football (Guthrie's cross) makes me despair for the future.

I think there were some good interchanges but they were in fits and starts. We still need a central midfielder who can pick a pass and find space.

Colo had Lita in his pocket all game and while their front two received better service, our back four handled them comfortably. Not sure f Harewood and Shola can work together as a unit, but if they're scoring does it matter in this league? Guthrie cannot play on the wing. Butt is finished.

I reckon we should grab some loan kids and sell some of the fringe players. I know this means we'll remain as thins squad as we have now, but surely there'll be a couple of teams willing to spend money to survive a drop or clinch a promotion?

Another 3 points but 90 minutes with one moment of football (Guthrie's cross) makes me despair for the future.

Im still trying to come to terms with just how shite this league is, it beggars belief, we've just played a team which at the start of the season were predicted to finish higher than us. We pissed over them while still managing to show sustained periods of total shitness.

Boro? Should have stuck with Southgate, they were dismal, insignificant is too meaningful a word for just how little they and their toss fans interest me.

Strachan is a tactical genius isn't he, Enrique is our best player (possibly the divisions best player) and his game plan seemed to be to continually attack us down the left flank, i don't think the smogs got the ball to the right side of the pitch once in the first half hour!

As for us, we didn't play great football but won yet again with the defence impressing and Colo clear man of the match for me. Guthrie chipped in with another assist which he has a knack of but we have no width on the right at all as he's always inside, luckilly Guti and Jose on the left were on form.

The strikers were both pretty poor, winning nothing in the air (not helped by some of Harpers kicks, but they should have won some), off the pace and yet both got a goal!

Harewood worries me in that he just doesn't seem like he's ever ready/aware, he's always caught out when the ball arrives and shows poor control or hasn't anticipated a ball so doesn't run into the space and for such a big guy he wins little in the air. He's knocked in a few goals at this level so it wouldn't be the end of the world if we kept him on loan longer if nobody else were available, but really he just doesn't look the part as a footballer.

Good crowd today but not the best atmosphere.

I felt we were quite boring in the first half and we didn't play great, just constantly lumping balls down the pitch hoping for Shola or Harewood to get a flick on, Guthrie seemed to be almost invisible on the wing although he improved in the second half. Despite a few scares I felt that the defence were class today, particularly Collocini.

Good result but I can't say I think much of Boro or their fans. With Nottingham Forest doing well and West Brom still to play we needed the points today.

It's a shame (from what people are saying) that we seem to be a long ball team. You can't fault the 3 points but I thought Hughton was supposed to be a coach? If we get back to the prem we might be required to play football at some point....

It's a shame (from what people are saying) that we seem to be a long ball team. You can't fault the 3 points but I thought Hughton was supposed to be a coach? If we get back to the prem we might be required to play football at some point....

well tbf, i think we managed about 6 mins of football. its a start i suppose.............

:(

Good result although the performance was pretty pants. Collo was definately motm closely followed by Enrique who really does look a class above at this level. thought Simpson, Nolan and both strikers were canny poor even though both Shola and Harewood got a goal.

it wasnt pretty but its still 3pts so........... <_<:yahoo::lol:

Can anyone provide a link to Llambias' program notes?

Ta

" Hello Jawdys,

Derek here, we did have 2 bids, but they didn't have any money.

See, I'm not a lying puppet. Honest.

Love me pleeease. "

save you the bother of a click HF.

Enrique and Jonas really linked well and played some nice football.

Collo played like they were under 8's.

Nolan showed why he's not much use when dropped into midfield.

Guthrie's cross was great. I'm not sure if it was a tactical thing for him to drop inside all the time(freeing up Nolan to push on?), but it really stopped us from exploiting thm down the wing.

The long balls were frustrating-I think Shola won one in the 1st half, a beautiful flick, but Harewood either didn't expect him to win it or didn't read it correctly, either way it was poor.

The free kick we scored from was well worked and I think we had tried something similar a few minutes beforehand-nice to see things like that are worked on in training.

Also, even on tv-the ball boys annoyed me. :(

Can anyone provide a link to Llambias' program notes?

Ta

" Hello Jawdys,

Derek here, we did have 2 bids, but they didn't have any money.

See, I'm not a lying puppet. Honest.

Love me pleeease. "

save you the bother of a click HF.

I'm sure he said the bids were there but were pulled following due dilligence....and he made out this was a fault on behalf of the bidders. I thought when reading it that the more reasoned conclusion would be that the asking price Ashley placed on the package was unreasonable.

I'm sure he said the bids were there but were pulled following due dilligence....and he made out this was a fault on behalf of the bidders. I thought when reading it that the more reasoned conclusion would be that the asking price Ashley placed on the package was unreasonable.

The way I read it from The Guardian was that they showed the funds were available in order to enter due diligence but once that had finished, they couldn't then produce the funds - sounds like the usual shite to me.

I dont see how we can ever believe a single word uttered out of the club following their own admission of repeated lies for PR. How sad is that?

Enrique and Jonas really linked well and played some nice football.

Collo played like they were under 8's.

Nolan showed why he's not much use when dropped into midfield.

Guthrie's cross was great. I'm not sure if it was a tactical thing for him to drop inside all the time(freeing up Nolan to push on?), but it really stopped us from exploiting thm down the wing.

The long balls were frustrating-I think Shola won one in the 1st half, a beautiful flick, but Harewood either didn't expect him to win it or didn't read it correctly, either way it was poor.

The free kick we scored from was well worked and I think we had tried something similar a few minutes beforehand-nice to see things like that are worked on in training.

Also, even on tv-the ball boys annoyed me. <_<

That is as accurate a description of his performance as we could read anywhere. :lol:

Got as far as N.Shields metro station, when it went tits up! £17 in a taxi to the game. Merry Christmas.

I love the long ball game :( (that's me continually having to watch the ball being hoofed 100ft in the air)

We crucified them but the result is far from convincing. The first goal shouldn't have stood and Taylor's handball obviously should have resulted in a penalty. Refereeing was absolutely abysmal.

On a different day this would have been a 1-1 draw and the attitude of some on here would have been far different.

We need to turn the screw massively if we go up and want to stay up.