The iPad thread

ChezGiven

Scott, the iPhone5 comes out in September, when's the equivalent Android phone released?

Wrong thread dumbass... iPhone or Android thread if you please ;)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott, the iPhone5 comes out in September, when's the equivalent Android phone released?

There's already Android phones out that will be better than it tbh - the HTC Sensation for example. Apple are playing catchup, adding in features that have been available for years and trying to claim them as groundbreaking. They look great, and they market themselves really well, and the iPod functionality is better than most of the music software available for Android, but in terms of what you can do with it, the iPhone is way behind Android.

If you are the first mover in the market, there is always the disadvantage that your R&D costs to bring the product innovation to market makes it hard to add the new features of copycats. Copycats spend nothing on either development or importantly commercial testing and research. They dont spend anything until they try to improve the product. Both for the iPhone and the iPad, Apple have innovated a product segment and then used a commercial model which requires a more locked down system for developers, who are the ones who give Android the edge on that. With iTunes they brought the music industry along on the basis of their synchronisation process. Now with the iPad they have done the same with the Cloud. This will allow the iPad to be more like a PC as you dont need to sync to a PC to get all your music on there. Once you dont need to sync to a computer with a tablet, the tablet becomes truly standalone. At that point, the PC truly is dead. The music industry were key to getting the Cloud truly workable as you can upload any music you want (illegally ripped etc) for $25, so its all your music not just bought stuff. A one-off chance for the industry to recuperate the millions lost to filesharing tbh. Google couldnt do this, it took Apples innovative business to do this. Music industry insiders said that they thought they hated doing business with Apple until they tried to do business with Google and Amazon. Apple are the industry leader as they have a stronger strategy and innovative the actual product segments, not the features segments.

Good purchase Jonny anyway.

I'm talking about stuff like media messaging, video calls, the fact that web browsing on an apple device is a limited experience, etc. They weren't innovating any of this, they were just drip feeding functionality and they are still playing catchup.

Not to mention the fact that you are hogtied to itunes and its rules. If I'm at work and a podcast I like is released, I can download it there and then over 3g. I can't with an iphone. I can't just go to a website and download stuff directly to my phone to store there.

This whole cloud thing is a waste of time anyway, until networks sort their lives out with their data usage plans.

I'm talking about stuff like media messaging, video calls, the fact that web browsing on an apple device is a limited experience, etc. They weren't innovating any of this, they were just drip feeding functionality and they are still playing catchup.

Thats what i was saying, they didnt innovate the features they innovated the product. The iPhone was a game-changer and the one that costs millions and years to develop. An investment not undertaken by the innovative copycats. Am just repeating myself there.

Not to mention the fact that you are hogtied to itunes and its rules. If I'm at work and a podcast I like is released, I can download it there and then over 3g. I can't with an iphone. I can't just go to a website and download stuff directly to my phone to store there.

I know, thats how you do a deal with the music industry. What Google cant do.

This whole cloud thing is a waste of time anyway, until networks sort their lives out with their data usage plans.

Google, Amazon and Apple all think the same, its the future of a non-PC world. PC market declined for the first time this last quarter.

Edited by ChezGiven

Apple pulled an awesome trick charging the prices they do. I have a better phone on £22pm for 18months than iphone users paying £35pm for 2 years, and they honestly believe they are getting the better deal!

Have borrowed the iPad2 from work for the last week - eagerly anticipated and was like a kid on xmas morning when I finally got hold of it but I've got to say I'm massive underwhelmed by it.

It's quick and all that a slick interface but it offers me fuck all that I haven't already got with either my laptop or my smart phone. Despite it being generally played down, the lack of flash is massively inhibiting for me as the majority of sites I look at use it in one way or another - net result is I've been using my laptop and the ipad is sitting in the box because I can't be fucked to move from one device to another. Yes I know Apple are countering it by selling the idea of HTML5 but we're not there yet.

And the week before I had the Motorola Xoom. Clunky interface by comparison and considerably heavier but offered much more freedom to the user experience. If I had to choose between them at this moment in time, I'd choose the Xoom - purely on the fact that it isn't tied down.

In reality I'd choose neither at the moment.

I use my iPad all the time now. The lap top barely gets opened. I can take my lap top in to a customer and have all my price lists (pdf), excel docs, presentations etc on there. No need to open up a clunky lap top and wait for it to boot up.

I've then got a folder full of kids books I read to them on a night and some kids games. The books are interactive and the bairns love them. When I went on holiday recently I stuck 8 episodes of pepper pig on the ipad for the kids. Never has a flight been so peaceful :o

Each to their own, but I wouldn't replace it like.

I use my iPad all the time now. The lap top barely gets opened. I can take my lap top in to a customer and have all my price lists (pdf), excel docs, presentations etc on there. No need to open up a clunky lap top and wait for it to boot up.

I've then got a folder full of kids books I read to them on a night and some kids games. The books are interactive and the bairns love them. When I went on holiday recently I stuck 8 episodes of pepper pig on the ipad for the kids. Never has a flight been so peaceful :o

Each to their own, but I wouldn't replace it like.

I think that more or less sums it up to me. I can see it as an advantage to those who have application to use it as you outline JawD, just from a personal POV I don't think it offers me anything.

A guy at work is into Marvel comics and he says it's superb for viewing them on it.

I think it obviously has its place but alongside current hardware, not instead of it.

Haven't bought a gadget in a while and have got an urge to get an iPad, especially as that new Sky thing is coming out where you can watch it on two devices for free. (Though I don't know how it differs to Sky anywhere or whatever it's called)

• 3 weeks later...
theres decent alternatives out there not just apple

That new Asus tablet has gotten brilliant reviews

I have one of those - there's an issue with the power supply (had to replace mine with a cheap universal one) but otherwise it's great.

Android always reminds me of fake apple, i've had an android phone and it all seemed to just try mimic the iphone but try to be as distinguishable as possible to avoid aplle complaining. Look at taht samsung galaxy 2! Bloody hell, and Android fanboys seem to be worse than apple ones, and because theirs less of them they think they're a more superior group of humans. Wouldn't get anything other than an iPad, would prefer an iPhone but can't afford one so may get another Android phone when my contract is up, it's nice not being a fanboy of either, you can switch between

Android always reminds me of fake apple, i've had an android phone and it all seemed to just try mimic the iphone but try to be as distinguishable as possible to avoid aplle complaining. Look at taht samsung galaxy 2! Bloody hell, and Android fanboys seem to be worse than apple ones, and because theirs less of them they think they're a more superior group of humans. Wouldn't get anything other than an iPad, would prefer an iPhone but can't afford one so may get another Android phone when my contract is up, it's nice not being a fanboy of either, you can switch between

Not sure if serious.

That's the only reason I want one - not arsed about games. Would quite enjoy just sitting on the couch. The reading looks good too I suppose!

Apparently you could alternately sit on your couch with a laptop on your, er, lap too.

;)

I feel the same about Apple as I do about Liverpool. Extremely successful and you have to respect some of the things they've achieved, but I'll never get on with them. Never owned a single Apple product, never plan to.

theres decent alternatives out there not just apple

That new Asus tablet has gotten brilliant reviews

which asus tablet is that you sure that htc flyer looks good to quite like android devices