Mike Williamson Signs.

smoggeordie

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NEWCASTLE boss Chris Hughton has hailed the “Championship pedigree” of Portsmouth defender Mike Williamson as he closes in on his second signing of the January transfer window.

Williamson was negotiating personal terms with United last night after the club had a £1m offer accepted and a deal could even be pushed through this afternoon for a player who has been a long-term Hughton target.

United were also considering a bid for Sheffield Wednesday’s young defender Mark Beevers but moved quickly for Williamson after becoming aware of interest from his former club Watford. Williamson is understood to be keen on a move to United after a long period of inactivity at Fratton Park, where he is yet to make his debut. His lack of first-team appearances is believed to relate to payments cash-strapped Portsmouth would be due to pay if he played.

Hughton told The Journal last night he was keen for the deal to be completed as soon as possible – raising the possibility of a midweek debut against Crystal Palace for the 26-year-old former Wycombe defender.

“There has been an offer made which has been accepted and at the moment we’re just working on the lad’s terms,” the United manager said. “It’s a deal that I hope goes through as soon as possible. I’m not sure whether it’s finalised but it looks as if it is quite close at the moment.

“He’s a player with good pedigree who is used to this division. He did very, very well at Watford and I have known about him for a while.

“We were interested in him before he went to Portsmouth but his games have been limited there, so this is a good opportunity for the club and for the player too. He’s a good age which gives him experience and he’ll be good competition in an area that we have always said we needed to strengthen.”

The move for Williamson brings Hughton closer to the four additions he hoped to make in the transfer window, but may not spell the end of his interest in Nottingham Forest’s versatile James Perch.

United’s manager said yesterday that the defender is still in his thinking, despite the club having a £1.75m bid, described as “derisory” by Forest boss Billy Davies, knocked back this week.

“We have in our mind the areas we need to cover and Perch is one in our thinking that can play in a number of positions so that’s something we’ll assess,” he said.

“At the moment he’s a Forest player and if it’s their desire he’ll stay a Forest player so we’ll continue to assess that.”

During a Press conference dominated by transfer speculation, Hughton ruled out a move for Aston Villa defender Curtis Davies and suggested he would not be plundering Arsenal and the Premier League’s big four for young loan players when the transfer window shuts.

With a deal for Williamson close to completion, Hughton will now turn his sights to bringing in a forward to compete with Peter Løvenkrands, Shola Ameobi, Andy Carroll and Nile Ranger. That man still looks to be Marlon Harewood, although the Magpies boss does have other targets.

He emphasised yesterday the need to recruit carefully in the January transfer window and not “panic buy”.

“It’s vitally important that there’s a balance between not panicking and not just brining in players for the sake of it, but we know we have to bring players in to give us enough numbers to cope.

“We’ve coped very well so far but we really haven’t had too many injuries. We can still use the loan system that clubs in our positions have used very well.”

Meant to be having a medical now. Fairly happy with this. Proven at this level and if its only a million or something its not the end of the world. We need cover at CB and this will provide it as long as no one else leaves of course.

I have to say, its nice to see a nufc manager actually thinking about his signings carefully instead of just splurging cash left right and centre, al la Guillit, Souness et all.

I reckon this lad will be canny. I've only heard bits and bobs about him but its all good.

I don't know much about this lad but if he cost Pompey £3m in September and we're getting him for £1m then I can only assume they're grabbing whatever money they can for a non-first teamer when they're in the financial shit themselves. Worth a punt for the price.

He's class. Far better than Kilgallon. Assured on the ball, strong in the air, reads the game.......oh, it's not that Mike Williamson. Never heard of him.

Beggars can't be choosers. I don't think anyone is earmarked for leaving, just because this guy is coming in.

And 'discussing terms', as Hughton says, probably means the offer is it's approx. £15000/week tops now, and a rise if we get to the 'promised land', as Simpson's deal was/is. It's up to Mick Willy to decide if it's 'enough'.

We probably don't need another striker unless he's loaded with pace. Christ, I'll take anyone with a bit of pace at the minute if I'm honest.

Pace? What would we want with pace?

We probably don't need another striker unless he's loaded with pace. Christ, I'll take anyone with a bit of pace at the minute if I'm honest.

He's a CB. Aint he? Or are you talking about Harewood/a.n. other ??

Aye, on about the strikers bit but I just forgot to quote the article :wank:

If he's as good as he was rated at Watford then he will be a perfectly adaquate signing for cover at least. As long as this doesn't mean the end of Colo or Taylor then I am all for it.

And the Curtis Davies thing was always going to be ridiculous. If he goes anywhere he is going to want to be guaranteed a starting place and we have absolutely no reason to change our starting centre halfs, our success so far this season has been based on our back four.

18.11 Portsmouth defender Mike Williamson's move to Newcastle has been delayed,

Sky Sports News understands.

that’ll be the personal terms we’ve offered him then.

Portsmouth accepted a bid of £1 million forgetting that his sell on clause means they'd owe Watford £1.2 million :wank:

18.11 Portsmouth defender Mike Williamson's move to Newcastle has been delayed,

Sky Sports News understands.

that’ll be the personal terms we’ve offered him then.

Portsmouth accepted a bid of £1 million forgetting that his sell on clause means they'd owe Watford £1.2 million :wank:

Seriously?

We've agreed a fee of £900k. However clauses in his contract mean that Watford are due to £1.2mil if he is sold.

They have realised this at the 11th hour and obviously have pulled the plug until they get the shortfall.