She's back

Matt

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/ma...rroll-newcastle

Steven Taylor is understood to feel badly betrayed by Newcastle United and now believes he has no future at the club. The former England Under-21 centre-half had his jaw broken in an alleged altercation with a team-mate, striker Andy Carroll last Sunday. Taylor, who spent two nights in hospital and required surgery, has been dismayed by the support Carroll is receiving both from within St James' Park and from Newcastle's supporters.

It seems Chris Hughton, Newcastle's manager – who resolutely refuses to comment on the incident – accepts the two Geordies can no longer work together and has decided the centre-forward is the player he wants to keep.

Carroll, currently on bail following an alleged nightclub assault and facing a crown court appearance on an actual bodily harm charge at the end of next month, was controversially selected to play at Doncaster last Tuesday night.

After Carroll scored the winner, Hughton – who rarely singles out players – praised his contribution. By Thursday night Carroll was photographed out on the town in Manchester at a rap concert, sporting bandages on both hands.

Back home in Newcastle Taylor was feeding through a straw and turning down requests to photograph his newly wired jaw. Those close to the player, arguably Newcastle's best defender, do not buy the view that he provoked Carroll in what is thought to have been an argument over a woman.

Carroll is thought to be part of a powerful dressing-room clique that Taylor has never really fitted into. Kevin Nolan is a key figure inside St James' Park and, significantly, the midfielder now shares an agent with Carroll. Taylor, meanwhile, was perhaps always too close to Hughton's predecessor Alan Shearer for the former Tottenham coach's liking. Taylor has only 14 months left on his contract and Newcastle are unhappy about the prospect of him leaving on a Bosman transfer in the summer of 2011. Selling him now would give them the chance to avoid doing so.

With a return to the Premier League now almost within touching distance, Hughton – whose side are at home to Nottingham Forest tomorrow night in a key Championship promotion clash – does not want either to disturb the dressing room's political power balance or risk jeopardising results by dropping a striker currently on a hot scoring streak.

Even so Carroll's continued involvement appears a thoroughly depressing victory for pragmatism over principles and Hughton has surely been diminished by the entire sorry affair.

Newcastle's manager won a UN commendation for anti-apartheid campaigning but as Carroll waved insouciantly to fans at Doncaster it seemed Hughton had suddenly lost sight of the bigger picture.

After doing brilliantly to keep Newcastle top of the table this season, he now looks weak and it is not impossible that this affair could yet spark a chain of events that may lead to him being replaced by a manager such as Mark Hughes or Steve McClaren next season.

Certainly in some uncannily prophetic comments a few weeks ago, Shearer spelt out a message his successor as Newcastle's manager should have been making plain. "Andy has a lot of talent but he needs to improve in almost every area," said Shearer. "There are also one or two things going on off the pitch he has to sort out. When you're in his position you can't keep making mistakes."

It is only thanks to Taylor's desire not to damage his home-town team's promotion bid that he declined to take part in the police investigation into the incident.

Meanwhile Hughton's handling of the affair raises questions as to whether Newcastle really have the right manager for the long term.

Hughton's job is to get us promoted. If we'd have had 3 decent strikers on our books then Carroll would have been dropped. We did not have those options.

The 'big picture' that our Mackem scribe alludes to is securing promotion. We won't be back into the Premier League on high virtue. Nothing else matters.

If Steven Taylor wants to leave because we didn't do something that would have cost us 2 points, well off you go. When it comes to the crunch, it's about going up. No-one is going to remember in 10 years time that there was a dressing room dust-up, all they'll remember is the 'P' next to the league record.

Hughton surprised everyone in retaining Carroll for Tuesday, and it paid off. He took a tough decision in the public spotlight (something humdrum regional sports journalists rarely are called on to do). And despite the initial controversy, it's actually been less of a story than it could have been, mainly due to Hughton's blanking of media discussion. 'Surely diminished'? Not a chance.

And quite how this whole affair could lead to the manager's eventual replacement for Steve McLaren is beyond me. I'd love to know exactly what this mystical 'chain of events' in Louise's head actually is.

Edited by Matt

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of Carroll's for the simple fact this isn't the first time he has been in the headlines for negative reasons. Good player or not it makes the club look bad. In my opinion Taylor is our best defender and i think the club need to sort this situation out, Taylor is someone who has shown on the pitch that he loves the club and you only have see when he scores how much it means to him. Hopefully the situation can be sorted and they can both work together but my opinion would be that Taylor should stay. I repeat MY Opinion

I think she's got it right that one of the two will likely need to leave. Seems like it's Taylor for a number of reasons, but that's up to Hughton. As for Hughton being diminished that's rubbish imo, and what it's got to do with anti-apartheid or the UN is beyond me. All clubs act pragmatically and we're no different, so it's a bit silly to suggest otherwise.

I'm not a fan of Carroll's for the simple fact this isn't the first time he has been in the headlines for negative reasons. Good player or not it makes the club look bad. In my opinion Taylor is our best defender and i think the club need to sort this situation out, Taylor is someone who has shown on the pitch that he loves the club and you only have see when he scores how much it means to him. Hopefully the situation can be sorted and they can both work together but my opinion would be that Taylor should stay. I repeat MY Opinion

Personally I don't care if he goes as he never seemed quite good enough for the PL to me. Plus there were always rumours of him trying to engineer a move away. The key question is whether we replace him adequately if he goes......

I'll have another look at this article tomorrow, but on first reading it looks like one of the worst she has written. It comes across as an attempt at causing trouble at NUFC, especially with the comments of Hughton being 'weak' and the dressing room clique.

Despite the rights and wrongs of the article, it is yet another exceedingly poor journalistic effort.

For me if we're looking at one of them having to go then we need a striker more than a defender right now and I suspect Taylor's value to potential suitors is going to be much higher than Carroll's. If there's a dressing room 'clique' (which I doubt there is) then I'd rather keep it in place for the good of the club than risk dividing the squad again.

I'll have another look at this article tomorrow, but on first reading it looks like one of the worst she has written. It comes across as an attempt at causing trouble at NUFC, especially with the comments of Hughton being 'weak' and the dressing room clique.

Despite the rights and wrongs of the article, it is yet another exceedingly poor journalistic effort.

She's probably been briefed by Taylor's Dad

If there's a dressing room 'clique' (which I doubt there is)

really

I thought it was reasonably well accepted that smith Nolan etc have a big say in proceedings but since lt says so why don't we all disagree now eh?

lmFao. Emphasis on 'F'. I want to be back in the PL as much as everyone else. But it is disgusting the way that Taylor's been treated. I love the way opinions change amongst the fans soooo quickly. Taylor has been a solid player for us for the past few years, showed faith, loyalty, especially in the summer. No-ones had a bad word to say against him. Now this has happened, and Carroll happens to be scoring loads in the fizzy pop league (which he wont do next year), and everyone backs the long haired prick and now starts the anti-taylor chat. "Oh, I never liked him" etc. Well first time these kind of comments have come out. People need to open their eyes, Carroll NEEDS to go in the summer, and I hope thats part of Chris Hughtons plan. Keep him sweet and scoring. once promoted, sell him.

Please Chris, make the right choice!!

lmFao. Emphasis on 'F'. I want to be back in the PL as much as everyone else. But it is disgusting the way that Taylor's been treated. I love the way opinions change amongst the fans soooo quickly. Taylor has been a solid player for us for the past few years, showed faith, loyalty, especially in the summer. No-ones had a bad word to say against him. Now this has happened, and Carroll happens to be scoring loads in the fizzy pop league (which he wont do next year), and everyone backs the long haired prick and now starts the anti-taylor chat. "Oh, I never liked him" etc. Well first time these kind of comments have come out. People need to open their eyes, Carroll NEEDS to go in the summer, and I hope thats part of Chris Hughtons plan. Keep him sweet and scoring. once promoted, sell him.

Didn't he try to get a move to Everton last summer? I can honestly say I've never really warmed to Taylor: the 'been shot' play-acting; the look at me pointing faux-organising; the last man off the pitch clapping cliche. All a bit cringeworthy imo.

Didn't he try to get a move to Everton last summer? I can honestly say I've never really warmed to Taylor: the 'been shot' play-acting; the look at me pointing faux-organising; the last man off the pitch clapping cliche. All a bit cringeworthy imo.

you've forgotten the running on to the pitch straight to the fans and giving them a clenched fist salute but apart from that your critque of him is spot on ;)

he'll never play for us again, but wants some sympathy. so it looks like his old man has been feeding old Roy Keane knickers a pile of shite..ho hum.

For all i dont condone what carroll did and its not professional at all but surely the three parties can act professionally and sort this out for fuck sake.

Hughton sits down with Taylor and Carroll clear the air, shakes hands and get the fuck on with things.....why do people have to blow things out of proportion?

I see both as lads who love this club, lads who want to play for this club with a passion, lads who have alot of potential and are of great importance to us next year and season there-after.

It seriously would be bad for the club if either left and i certainly hope it doesnt come to that!

Edited by Geordie Lad...

he'll never play for us again, but wants some sympathy. so it looks like his old man has been feeding old Roy Keane knickers a pile of shite..ho hum.

That's the way I see it. I'd care more if he was a top defender, but he isn't and probably never will be.

Steven Taylor is understood to feel badly betrayed by Newcastle United and now believes he has no future at the club. The former England Under-21 centre-half had his jaw broken in an alleged altercation with a team-mate, striker Andy Carroll last Sunday. Taylor, who spent two nights in hospital and required surgery, has been dismayed by the support Carroll is receiving both from within St James' Park and from Newcastle's supporters.

It seems Chris Hughton, Newcastle's manager – who resolutely refuses to comment on the incident – accepts the two Geordies can no longer work together and has decided the centre-forward is the player he wants to keep.

Carroll, currently on bail following an alleged nightclub assault and facing a crown court appearance on an actual bodily harm charge at the end of next month, was controversially selected to play at Doncaster last Tuesday night.

After Carroll scored the winner, Hughton – who rarely singles out players – praised his contribution. By Thursday night Carroll was photographed out on the town in Manchester at a rap concert, sporting bandages on both hands.

Back home in Newcastle Taylor was feeding through a straw and turning down requests to photograph his newly wired jaw. Those close to the player, arguably Newcastle's best defender, do not buy the view that he provoked Carroll in what is thought to have been an argument over a woman.

Carroll is thought to be part of a powerful dressing-room clique that Taylor has never really fitted into. Kevin Nolan is a key figure inside St James' Park and, significantly, the midfielder now shares an agent with Carroll. Taylor, meanwhile, was perhaps always too close to Hughton's predecessor Alan Shearer for the former Tottenham coach's liking. Taylor has only 14 months left on his contract and Newcastle are unhappy about the prospect of him leaving on a Bosman transfer in the summer of 2011. Selling him now would give them the chance to avoid doing so.

With a return to the Premier League now almost within touching distance, Hughton – whose side are at home to Nottingham Forest tomorrow night in a key Championship promotion clash – does not want either to disturb the dressing room's political power balance or risk jeopardising results by dropping a striker currently on a hot scoring streak.

Even so Carroll's continued involvement appears a thoroughly depressing victory for pragmatism over principles and Hughton has surely been diminished by the entire sorry affair.

Newcastle's manager won a UN commendation for anti-apartheid campaigning but as Carroll waved insouciantly to fans at Doncaster it seemed Hughton had suddenly lost sight of the bigger picture.

After doing brilliantly to keep Newcastle top of the table this season, he now looks weak and it is not impossible that this affair could yet spark a chain of events that may lead to him being replaced by a manager such as Mark Hughes or Steve McClaren next season.

Certainly in some uncannily prophetic comments a few weeks ago, Shearer spelt out a message his successor as Newcastle's manager should have been making plain. "Andy has a lot of talent but he needs to improve in almost every area," said Shearer. "There are also one or two things going on off the pitch he has to sort out. When you're in his position you can't keep making mistakes."

It is only thanks to Taylor's desire not to damage his home-town team's promotion bid that he declined to take part in the police investigation into the incident.

Meanwhile Hughton's handling of the affair raises questions as to whether Newcastle really have the right manager for the long term.

Hughton's job is to get us promoted. If we'd have had 3 decent strikers on our books then Carroll would have been dropped. We did not have those options.

The 'big picture' that our Mackem scribe alludes to is securing promotion. We won't be back into the Premier League on high virtue. Nothing else matters.

If Steven Taylor wants to leave because we didn't do something that would have cost us 2 points, well off you go. When it comes to the crunch, it's about going up. No-one is going to remember in 10 years time that there was a dressing room dust-up, all they'll remember is the 'P' next to the league record.

Hughton surprised everyone in retaining Carroll for Tuesday, and it paid off. He took a tough decision in the public spotlight (something humdrum regional sports journalists rarely are called on to do). And despite the initial controversy, it's actually been less of a story than it could have been, mainly due to Hughton's blanking of media discussion. 'Surely diminished'? Not a chance.

And quite how this whole affair could lead to the manager's eventual replacement for Steve McLaren is beyond me. I'd love to know exactly what this mystical 'chain of events' in Louise's head actually is.

Reeks of Brian McNally's (or whatever the cocknose's surname is) demanding that the club handled the situation wrongly by saying nowt and not handing them any headlines. This way means there is slightly more chance of it being sorted ou in house,

One of those occasions where the journalist totally backs the wrong pony. Why she thinks she is onto a winner with this is very strange.

Totally agree with the bit in bold.

As someone alluded too a few days ago, it looks like Taylors dad has been on the phone.

I really couldnt care if we keep both, either or none. Ive always found Taylor funny and harmless and I dont like thugs, which Carrol definitely seems to be.

Hopefully we can replace both in the summer.

One of those occasions where the journalist totally backs the wrong pony. Why she thinks she is onto a winner with this is very strange.

Totally agree with the bit in bold.

As someone alluded too a few days ago, it looks like Taylors dad has been on the phone.

I really couldnt care if we keep both, either or none. Ive always found Taylor funny and harmless and I dont like thugs, which Carrol definitely seems to be.

Hopefully we can replace both in the summer.

Not easy to replace them both though. Home grown and cost the club nowt. Both being young and English, how much would it cost to replace them like for like? Unnecessary burden on the summer transfer funds and plans.

Shocking bit of opportunism there. Hughton has managed the situation well and this is just disgraceful shit-stirring.

This.

Love how she made Hughton's playing of Carroll (despite not having any decent fit alternatives) into a sinister choice by Hughton to piss off Taylor. What it was, was good management and a decision that ultimately secured us 2 additional poi ts on the table and will no doubt help everyone to realise that the most important thing is the performance on the pitch.

Shocking bit of opportunism there. Hughton has managed the situation well and this is just disgraceful shit-stirring.

This.

Love how she made Hughton's playing of Carroll (despite not having any decent fit alternatives) into a sinister choice by Hughton to piss off Taylor. What it was, was good management and a decision that ultimately secured us 2 additional poi ts on the table and will no doubt help everyone to realise that the most important thing is the performance on the pitch.

Completely. Shite article. I bet at work she is the type to bitch about people behind their back and stir up shite.

The worst case scenario I suppose is that Taylor is shipped out, then later in the summer the club accept a bid from the likes of Stoke for Carroll and we end up losing the both of them.

If you could actually trust the club investing the money in better players it would be a win-win scenario tbh.

Has anyone ever seen an article where she slates/criticizes Niall Quinn or SAFC in general? (Obviously a daft question when her dream man, Roy Keane was there.)

Has she commented on Niall Quinn sending out club Representatives to hunt down pubs/clubs in Wearside who have foreign tv stations showing premier matches? Has she commented on Quinn saying he won't tell Ellis Short to spend any more money if the crowds don't start to get any better? She is the North-East representative of her paper is she not? Or maybe she realises her editor won't take kindly to her wasting his time by giving him a SAFC story? Or perhaps she has an aptitude for anti-NUFC stories which she hasn't got for her own club?

Shit article by the woman who came up with the ludicrous 'Islamaphobic' bollocks. It's almost funny, to be fair.

ok so we go up to the premier league without our best defender (sic). Taylors always been out for himself and has proved to bee a poor mans JT without even a bit of that chelsea nobheads talent. we'd get 5-6 mill for him. ship him out.

Carrol is nowhere near good enough for the premier league. he'll get found out. who'd want a pisshead championship level twat at their club....