Spain win 2010 WORLD CUP.

Park Life

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If every game ends in a 1-1 draw - who goes through?

Coefficients would be the decider.

Ah right. Used to be the drawing of lots anyway. To be honest, I think even drawing lots is fairer.

I think they draw lots.

Brings back memories of Italia '90 and specifically England's group F. Results went as follows:

England 1-1 Republic of Ireland

Netherlands 1-1 Egypt

England 0-0 Netherlands

Republic of Ireland 0-0 Egypt

That mean that if the final two group games both finished as a draw with the same score, all 4 teams would finish with identical stats and the agree method to sort it out was to draw lots. Final results:

England 1-0 Eqypt

Republic of Ireland 1-1 Netherlands

Result was that England won the group, Republic of Ireland and Netherlands qualified and Egypt went home. Thank god the Egyptians never equalised against us. Went close IIRC.

Lots had to be drawn to decide which of the Republic of Ireland or Netherlands finished 2nd in the group. Ireland won it.

ITV has announced the sacking of its World Cup pundit Robbie Earle after discovering he had passed scores of tickets to a third party in breach of Fifa rules, which were then said to be used by a Dutch beer company for an ambush marketing effort.

ITV, which has already suffered a welter of negative publicity after 1.5m viewers missed England's opening goal against the USA due to a technical issue with its high definition channel, said Earle's contract had been terminated "with immediate effect".

"Following claims by Fifa that official 2010 World Cup tickets may have been used for ambush marketing, ITV has reviewed its entire ticket allocation for the tournament," said ITV in a statement.

"Immediate investigations indicated that a block of ITV tickets would appear to have been used for unauthorised purposes during the Holland v Denmark match," it added.

"Further enquiries have revealed that a substantial number of tickets allocated to Robbie Earle for family and friends have been passed to a third party in breach of Fifa rules."

It is understood that more than 50 tickets allocated to Earle ended up in the hands of the marketing company said to have orchestrated the ambush marketing effort on behalf of the beer brand Bavaria via a third party.

Thirty-six women in orange mini dresses were ejected from Soccer City during yesterday's match when Fifa officials decreed they were part of an organised ambush marketing scheme. They were questioned for several hours until after the match had finished. Bavaria denied the women had any links to its campaign.

Although ITV's coverage of England's draw with the USA peaked at more than 20m viewers, the post-match coverage was dominated by the error at Technicolor's London transmission centre that meant 1.5m viewers missed Steven Gerrard's opening goal.

It is not believed that Earle will be replaced by a new pundit but that his absence will be covered by the existing team.

The Daily Mail quoted a spokesman for Earle's agent as saying there was no comment at this stage.

Ah right. Used to be the drawing of lots anyway. To be honest, I think even drawing lots is fairer.

Like to point out I'm not 100% sure. :)

Like to point out I'm not 100% sure. :)

Wiki says lots also. However I'm sure I've heard the above...

LATEST: World Cup pundit Robbie Earle axed by ITV after tickets used 'for unauthorised purposes'

:)

Thank fuck for that.

Now to get shot of the rest of them

christ I hope the Brazilians and Spanish produce something good in their first games

Bar the Germany game this has been utter pish!

Good for what reason though? Because the Aussies got a leathering? I didn't think it was a particularly good match tbh - entertaining that there was a lot of goals but it was more a case of the Australians being shit than the Germans being any good.

christ I hope the Brazilians and Spanish produce something good in their first games

Good for what reason though? Because the Aussies got a leathering? I didn't think it was a particularly good match tbh - entertaining that there was a lot of goals but it was more a case of the Australians being shit than the Germans being any good.

never satisfied eh :) germany played well and scored some good goals as well as playing good football, it was a good game to watch

they didnt win because australia were bad or down to ten men, they were battering them all ends up before cahill got sent off and if a team plays well then the opposition usually look poor in comparison anyway

I agree, I enjoyed the Argentina match more. Although, they hammered Nigeria in the first half, they picked up their game in the last thirty minutes and I thought they could've possibly snatched a draw.

Edited by Acid

Germany took the piss tbh, can't simply chalk it up as the Australian's being shit. You see countless games where top opposition make heavy weather of beating poor sides. It was only a spanking because they played as well as they did.

I agree, I enjoyed the Argentina match more. Although, they hammered Nigeria in the first half, they picked up their game in the last thirty minutes and I thought they could've possibly snatched a draw.

Agreed. Argentina and Germany = best 2 teams so far, quite easily in fact.

The opposition doesn't matter, there has been lots of "poor" opposition that hasn't been well beaten, see the amount of people who thought that England would easily beat the yanks for example.

Argentina and Germany won against inferior teams, and they outplayed both their opposition in both games. Argentina are owed a few goals somewhere, they should also have won by 4 or 5.