What mood are you in and why?

catmag

Just realised I've snapped at 3 people in the past 3 or 4 days - some kind of male menopause I think:

1. Saturday - finally snapped at a poor assistant in the co-op with the classic "Would you like a bag?" Me: "I'm standing here in a t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms, I've just bought about 10 things - what do you think I'm going to do with them - balance them on my head? - had to apologise which I hate.

2. Yesterday - somehow misunderstood the dentist into thinking he was asking me to make another appointment just to get x-rays so told him that after taking a half day off he was doing them there and then - had to apologise which I hate.

3. Today - took a call from a recruitment agent who it became obvious didn't have anything and was just looking for leads - asking me who I'd interviewed with etc - told him to either start talking roles or get off the line - he hung up - very satisfying.

Lots of ups and downs last few days.

Happy around 6 am yesterday, though Carroll would be staying. Steady decline into depression from 3 pm onwards to the night. Happy today, got accepted for an internship in London, and now back to sad again, after finding out atdhe.net was seized by the government and now Ill have to go somewhere else to watch streams :D

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
Just realised I've snapped at 3 people in the past 3 or 4 days - some kind of male menopause I think:

1. Saturday - finally snapped at a poor assistant in the co-op with the classic "Would you like a bag?" Me: "I'm standing here in a t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms, I've just bought about 10 things - what do you think I'm going to do with them - balance them on my head? - had to apologise which I hate.

2. Yesterday - somehow misunderstood the dentist into thinking he was asking me to make another appointment just to get x-rays so told him that after taking a half day off he was doing them there and then - had to apologise which I hate.

3. Today - took a call from a recruitment agent who it became obvious didn't have anything and was just looking for leads - asking me who I'd interviewed with etc - told him to either start talking roles or get off the line - he hung up - very satisfying.

Oh dear. Just oh dear. Without doubt he was ringing you to help you, perhaps do a canvass on you based on your skills, if you had've spoken to me in a snooty manner, I would've told you to fuck off. They are there to help you.

My throat is killing me

My overtime in work has been cancelled

I'm off for nearly 2 weeks from thursday so going to look for a new job

I need to book something so I've got something to look forward to

Oh dear. Just oh dear. Without doubt he was ringing you to help you, perhaps do a canvass on you based on your skills, if you had've spoken to me in a snooty manner, I would've told you to fuck off. They are there to help you.

To be fair Stevie, some of them are just salesmen arseholes. I've spoken to plenty in my time, and had them try to tell me I should take jobs I didn't want cos "I don't think you're really in a position to be choosy". All cos the prick wanted his commission.

There's bad uns as well as good uns.

To be fair Stevie, some of them are just salesmen arseholes. I've spoken to plenty in my time, and had them try to tell me I should take jobs I didn't want cos "I don't think you're really in a position to be choosy". All cos the prick wanted his commission.

Well that's not how I operate, I have candidates from three years ago ring me up just for a chat about life/football or whatever. It's shit that mugs get us a bad name. You have to build rapport. I've got one candidate in the toon who I meet for a pint and would class him as a mate now, even though he's a heed the baal, shags 50 different women a year - was last shaggin a mackem who he dumped in Gran Canaria. You meet some quality candidates in this game, it also strengthens the generic idea of what people are like from different areas, and the stereotypes are very often true.

Well that's not how I operate, I have candidates from three years ago ring me up just for a chat about life/football or whatever. It's shit that mugs get us a bad name. You have to build rapport. I've got one candidate in the toon who I meet for a pint and would class him as a mate now, even though he's a heed the baal, shags 50 different women a year - was last shaggin a mackem who he dumped in Gran Canaria. You meet some quality candidates in this game, it also strengthens the generic idea of what people are like from different areas, and the stereotypes are very often true.

I've spoken to quite a few over the last couple of months and think I've got a feel for the lay of the land - some of them have been a different class when it comes to professionalism and genuine interest in helping you but this bloke blatantly had nowt.

He started by saying he had lots of opportunities in Essex (probably based on my address) - one look at my CV would tell anyone that are a miniscule number of companies outside of the City or London that would satisfy my experience and skillset and expected salary.

He then started asking if he could contact my references - in banking references are asked for after the contract has been signed as a formality and would never be even considered at the CV submission stage - what he was after was names.

He then asked me who I'd interviewed with and I said that was confidential. He said he didn't want to put me forward for stuff I'd already applied for which I said was fair enough but if he could send me some specs even without mentioning the clients names I'd be able to tell him if I'd seen them before. That's when he hung up.

Do you think I was fair in my assessment?

I've spoken to quite a few over the last couple of months and think I've got a feel for the lay of the land - some of them have been a different class when it comes to professionalism and genuine interest in helping you but this bloke blatantly had nowt.

He started by saying he had lots of opportunities in Essex (probably based on my address) - one look at my CV would tell anyone that are a miniscule number of companies outside of the City or London that would satisfy my experience and skillset and expected salary.

He then started asking if he could contact my references - in banking references are asked for after the contract has been signed as a formality and would never be even considered at the CV submission stage - what he was after was names.

He then asked me who I'd interviewed with and I said that was confidential. He said he didn't want to put me forward for stuff I'd already applied for which I said was fair enough but if he could send me some specs even without mentioning the clients names I'd be able to tell him if I'd seen them before. That's when he hung up.

Do you think I was fair in my assessment?

What I don't understand is when you ask a candidate where they've interviewed, if that role is dead to them, why they don't reveal who the client is. What good is it going to do them? as soon as they do that my interest in them dies.

That kid did sound a mug though, I just generally ask people out right for names of people - 99 times out of 100 they're fine. Biggest wankers are brummies, generic Southern people excluding London and Essex are wanks too, best by a mile in terms of approachability are geordies and weegies.

What I don't understand is when you ask a candidate where they've interviewed, if that role is dead to them, why they don't reveal who the client is. What good is it going to do them? as soon as they do that my interest in them dies.

That kid did sound a mug though, I just generally ask people out right for names of people - 99 times out of 100 they're fine. Biggest wankers are brummies, generic Southern people excluding London and Essex are wanks too, best by a mile in terms of approachability are geordies and weegies.

I wouldn't have minded naming the ones I've been rejeceted from but not the ones in progress.

If you assume as I did that he was fishing then getting 3 or 4 companies names that are recruiting makes sense - again not realising that a lot of the big firms have preferred agencies as suppliers.

Don't know how you do things Stevie but my biggest complaint is the ones who butter you up then put your CV in for something then you never hear from them again. If its been rejected then fair enough - just send me a standard email which will take ten seconds.

Edited by NJS

Tbh they're great if they've got something decent to offer you and they're a nuisance if they haven't-that's the bottom line-and in fairness to them a lot of the time they're not going to necessarily know one way or another whether the thing will hold any appeal for you until they've asked the right questions and got to know you a bit. So it's a two way street.

The line's crossed when they're persistant that you should go for something you're not showing any enthusiasm for (who would want to send someone to a client who clearly didnt want to be there-what does that say about them as an agent?). And I don't think I'd go quite as far as to say they're 'here to help you' as it's not that type of industry. It's solely about commissions rather than any benevolent interest in a persons career progression at the end of the day so it'd be a bit daft to lose sight of that.

That said, some of the most impressive and knowledgeable people (in terms of the industry sector) I've spoken to have been in recruitment. Some of them have been more professional than the sector they serve. The genuinely bad ones are few and far between I reckon and I've a sneaking suspicion they don't last long because I've never been troubled by the same one twice. I'm sure Stevie's the opposite of that because you can sense his frustration at the bad one's being the ones that people remember.

I don't mind playing the game with an "all cards on the table" approach which recognises they're in it for the money and as I said some have been great.

Aye, that's it for me like. I find myself far more amenable if the conversation never strays from that point. If they go on a big sell about how great a client firm is or what quality of work they can offer there that I cant do in my current role it makes me think they must assume I'm some sort of idiot who can't make those assessments for myself, or that I wouldn't have already applied to them myself directly if that's what interested me about them. Any patter about career enhancement etc Jesus....do I imagine them to be sat there fretting away after I've taken the job hoping that my career is in fact being enhanced to the maximum? :D Fuck off, it's about their fee and nothing else-which is 100% fine-but let's have it straight so we can talk straight.

Nervous. Vicars due in 8 minutes. Will he see me for the non believer I am?

I think there's an undercurrent of hypocrisy on both sides on those occasions - they must know a lot of people don't

Fuck off, it's about their fee and nothing else-which is 100% fine-but let's have it straight so we can talk straight.

I spoke to one who was honest enough to say pretty early on in the conversation "If I do get you a job what's the name of the person I need to speak to about getting them a replacement".

Nervous. Vicars due in 8 minutes. Will he see me for the non believer I am?

I think there's an undercurrent of hypocrisy on both sides on those occasions - they must know a lot of people don't

A lot of vicars don't tbf. I'd be honest anyway.

Hungowa today like, but in a canny mood. It's years and years since I felt as content as I do now, the next 12 months are ganna be mint in so many different ways, there's actually a few things went wrong in January but when you start putting things in to perspective, in the bigger picture, everything is going well - 2011 is ganna mint year :razz: and I think 2012 could be even better.

You on the pills?

NUFC will soon have you crashing down to earth, make no mistake.

:D The pills? Nar, just lots of things going right for me, especially money wise. You know what Tecato regarding NUFC, I'm immune to it now, honestly I am, I just think aye whatever. Seen worse days than these, far, far, far worse. In fact to tell you the truth I think this season is my 7th or 8th favourite ever.

I've been overpaid by about 300 quid today as well, in a dilemma whether to pipe down or tell them.

Fuck off, it's about their fee and nothing else-which is 100% fine-but let's have it straight so we can talk straight.

I spoke to one who was honest enough to say pretty early on in the conversation "If I do get you a job what's the name of the person I need to speak to about getting them a replacement".

Well that's not on, but never lose sight of the fact we're in it for the money, I take it you think we should just be some sort of charity service?

Well that's not on, but never lose sight of the fact we're in it for the money, I take it you think we should just be some sort of charity service?

Didn't have a problem with that one Stevie or as I said an honest approach that knows that money is the bottom line - its the ones who dig for info without providing any signs of available roles that I don't like.