Ben Arfa

ChezGiven

You think we offered him the most money? On what basis? What information are you using to form that quite startling opinion?

Dont tell Leazes we are offering better financial terms than CL clubs around Europe.

I can't honestly think of any other reason to turn down Milan and Werder Bremen...was there anyone else?..Liverpool?..hate saying it, but they're all more attractive than us at the moment.And didnt his agent say that they were told to find a new club (i.e. us) and he wasn't allowed to go because Milan wanted to pay cash now rather than a loan? It all points to us offering the most dosh for me.

We're paying some players 50k+ a week. No player coming in is reportedly on more than 25k. But Mike Ashley could also say the moon is made of green cheese and it would be about as truthful coming from that fuckers gob.

Based on nowt then. Fair enough.

That bold bit makes no sense either, L'OM wanted to sell him outright and not loan him to us. It was reported in the french press that firm offers to buy him were on the table. It seems other clubs were in for him but he had his heart set on coming to us.

No one knows for sure but nothing i've read since the end of July has suggested we were offering massive wages and thats why he was coming to us. I could equally put forward the view that he has been a life-long fan and has always dreamed of playing for NUFC. In fact that (daft) opinion is actually supported by the fact that he is with us.

As you say, we don't know for sure, but for me money motivates some players more than the glory of champions league football. Or as mentioned the likes of Milan and Bremen passed and he came back to us with his tale between his legs last week.

Well if you want to look at it that way then there is nothing to prove you arent right (just seems less likely to me) but i take the point about modern footballers in general.

My optimistic view is that he wanted a team where he could shine, a sporting challenge in a new league to escape the constant media attention in France and the non-stop debate over his actions on and off the pitch. I also want to believe that we are profiting from the Shepherd era where this club was elevated to the top tier of European football, we signed Ginola and Robert, we established connections with great European clubs and the reputation of our support is known amongst people who Ben Arfa is known to have discussed the move with (Cantona) and those who live in Marseilles in the summer (Beye, Cisse). Thats mostly pure speculation from me, apart from the Cantona bit.

I think he has looked at us and seen a fit. Whether he can live up to his reputation (as a gifted footballer) with us remains to be seen.

Interesting angle reg Beye and Cisse and another thing, to French players of this type the ambience of a club is as important as its stature, a starlet like Bafra thrives on the right kind of supporter and the right kind of passion which is what we almost alone in the PL are all about. I've travelled around Europe a fair bit in the last ten years and people are very happy to talk about Newcastle as much as say a Liverpool, we are still carrying that certain aura that excites certain kinds of players. I think he has looked at us and fancies running the midfield, I might add I would rahter have him than Nasri who is similar, but not as gifted.

On the comments page on Le Figaro today some were saying far better than Nasri. Also was interesting seeing their comments about us, some bad but some very good with one lad criticising the 'descendents' of Newcastle (critics) saying that our downfall was due to the stupid owner and we are one of the few clubs with the ability to break into the top 4. Bit over the top but as you say, shows the lingering reputation of the club (which we have the previous board to thank for).

A few people on here need to let go of their emotional baggage and enjoy the fact that we've brought in a mad/bad/crazy/creative bit of gallic flair. Its going to be fun.

Agreed.

He's certainly more gifted than Nasri, but perhaps lacking a bit on application. Wenger doesn't throw many words around and his comment on Bafra (Maradonnaesque) speaks volumes. He really has everything that his postion/s require and properly supported withing the club and made to feel wanted and taken to heart by the supporters ( I have no doubts about that) we really have ourselves that rare thing: a magician.

wow. Another Tony Green, now that would be nice.

Fitting then he'll debue against Blackpool. :icon_lol:

but he's on loan, meaning he will fuck off ;)

I'm very positive unless an insane offer comes in we can keep him for a few seasons and hopefully he'll enjoy it so much he'll also WANT to stay. Anyway can we enjoy this for a few months? ;)

Just adding to the quote pyramid.

abit immature that like i would say :icon_lol:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think we offered him the most money? On what basis? What information are you using to form that quite startling opinion?

Dont tell Leazes we are offering better financial terms than CL clubs around Europe.

I can't honestly think of any other reason to turn down Milan and Werder Bremen...was there anyone else?..Liverpool?..hate saying it, but they're all more attractive than us at the moment.And didnt his agent say that they were told to find a new club (i.e. us) and he wasn't allowed to go because Milan wanted to pay cash now rather than a loan? It all points to us offering the most dosh for me.

We're paying some players 50k+ a week. No player coming in is reportedly on more than 25k. But Mike Ashley could also say the moon is made of green cheese and it would be about as truthful coming from that fuckers gob.

Based on nowt then. Fair enough.

That bold bit makes no sense either, L'OM wanted to sell him outright and not loan him to us. It was reported in the french press that firm offers to buy him were on the table. It seems other clubs were in for him but he had his heart set on coming to us.

No one knows for sure but nothing i've read since the end of July has suggested we were offering massive wages and thats why he was coming to us. I could equally put forward the view that he has been a life-long fan and has always dreamed of playing for NUFC. In fact that (daft) opinion is actually supported by the fact that he is with us.

As you say, we don't know for sure, but for me money motivates some players more than the glory of champions league football. Or as mentioned the likes of Milan and Bremen passed and he came back to us with his tale between his legs last week.

Well if you want to look at it that way then there is nothing to prove you arent right (just seems less likely to me) but i take the point about modern footballers in general.

My optimistic view is that he wanted a team where he could shine, a sporting challenge in a new league to escape the constant media attention in France and the non-stop debate over his actions on and off the pitch. I also want to believe that we are profiting from the Shepherd era where this club was elevated to the top tier of European football, we signed Ginola and Robert, we established connections with great European clubs and the reputation of our support is known amongst people who Ben Arfa is known to have discussed the move with (Cantona) and those who live in Marseilles in the summer (Beye, Cisse). Thats mostly pure speculation from me, apart from the Cantona bit.

I think he has looked at us and seen a fit. Whether he can live up to his reputation (as a gifted footballer) with us remains to be seen.

Interesting angle reg Beye and Cisse and another thing, to French players of this type the ambience of a club is as important as its stature, a starlet like Bafra thrives on the right kind of supporter and the right kind of passion which is what we almost alone in the PL are all about. I've travelled around Europe a fair bit in the last ten years and people are very happy to talk about Newcastle as much as say a Liverpool, we are still carrying that certain aura that excites certain kinds of players. I think he has looked at us and fancies running the midfield, I might add I would rahter have him than Nasri who is similar, but not as gifted.

On the comments page on Le Figaro today some were saying far better than Nasri. Also was interesting seeing their comments about us, some bad but some very good with one lad criticising the 'descendents' of Newcastle (critics) saying that our downfall was due to the stupid owner and we are one of the few clubs with the ability to break into the top 4. Bit over the top but as you say, shows the lingering reputation of the club (which we have the previous board to thank for).

A few people on here need to let go of their emotional baggage and enjoy the fact that we've brought in a mad/bad/crazy/creative bit of gallic flair. Its going to be fun.

Agreed.

He's certainly more gifted than Nasri, but perhaps lacking a bit on application. Wenger doesn't throw many words around and his comment on Bafra (Maradonnaesque) speaks volumes. He really has everything that his postion/s require and properly supported withing the club and made to feel wanted and taken to heart by the supporters ( I have no doubts about that) we really have ourselves that rare thing: a magician.

wow. Another Tony Green, now that would be nice.

Fitting then he'll debue against Blackpool. :icon_lol:

but he's on loan, meaning he will fuck off ;)

I'm very positive unless an insane offer comes in we can keep him for a few seasons and hopefully he'll enjoy it so much he'll also WANT to stay. Anyway can we enjoy this for a few months? ;)

Just adding to the quote pyramid.

abit immature that like i would say :icon_lol:

I concur. :icon_lol:

Obviously the key will be to make him feel loved and appreciated. He's plainly high maintenance and the club has a massive responsibility to get him onboard properly and make sure he settles and feels at home. Let's hope they don't fumble the ball.

He didn't turn down Milan, they are bidding for Robinho. Werder Bremen have too many quality mf's and they couldn't guarantee him a first team place, which is what I belive what CH has. I also believe he single mindedly wanted to come here. He is a bit mad. :jesuswept:

Very possibly mad, but i think there is quite a bit of thought applied in what he's done. he knows necastle utd don't have any star players ( and really, trust me we do not). its down to how he applies himself. he has the talent and if we can get the best out of him over the next few months we will be safe (and he would be our star man). I just hope he doesn't cop a strop.

agree with you can, he's come here for adulation, an extension of his celebrity culture identity.

That is a dangerous two way street, let's hope he doesn't get run over.

Nonsense. He's come here for guaranteed first team football.

agree with you can, he's come here for adulation, an extension of his celebrity culture identity.

Hope you're right parky. We'll see what he's like after the first couple of strops.

Hope you're right parky. We'll see what he's like after the first couple of strops.

He'll be decent initially, i've no doubt about that as he will have everything to prove. Honeymoon period and all that.

Its what happens mid-december onwards that will be the test.

I hope the team welcome him and have a barbecue or something to bond because he will kick off if Barton or someone gives him a load of flack. Hopefully Nolan as lead professional or whatever he is will help integrate him into the team. I just hope our cloggers don't get jealous of his football ability and cause resentment in the ranks. They're going to have to acknowledge he is the most gifted player in the squad and support him.

I hope the team welcome him and have a barbecue or something to bond because he will kick off if Barton or someone gives him a load of flack. Hopefully Nolan as lead professional or whatever he is will help integrate him into the team. I just hope our cloggers don't get jealous of his football ability and cause resentment in the ranks. They're going to have to acknowledge he is the most gifted player in the squad and support him.

I'll reserve judgment until I see him play.

Solano used to hold barbecues and play his trumpet and stuff, could do with that sort of team building exercise now to welcome a foreign player who is by all accounts a bit of a nutcase. Don't want to set him off or it could fuck the season up. Just don't let Campbell come to the barbecue with his lass (there'll be nothing left for anyone) and make sure Carroll and Barton have Ribena in plastic glasses.

This is my main worry. Though win bonuses shouls alleviate that. :jesuswept: