Manchester U v Newcastle United.

Park Life

Greetings from Canada. I hope most of you will be able to understand my English. :icon_lol:

May I just say that even last season I had the Premiership in mind whilst watching our boys win the Championship. At no point last season did I think our midfield were good enough for the Premiership. Perhaps Guthrie in a rotation, and if you need to use Smith and Barton, then as deep cover. Most of our goals last season came via the air, rarely was anything created by keeping the ball on the deck. So other than this Arfa talk, I'm quite shocked that this midfield would stay in tact going into the new season.

That being said, I'm true Toon and will be cheering our boys on to fight to stay up.

All the best from the Toronto Toon contingent! :icon_lol:

:lol:

I see what you did there. You used complicated html to edit, or highlight some words in my post. You sneaky debil you.

:icon_lol:

:):lol::icon_lol:

Anyway.. did ayone else notice the fat man behind the england coach baldini?

aye, it was mentioned earlier

hopefully FMA will take the sky view of that being a game we were utterly mullered beyond anything that has ever happened before and be encouraged to get on with some signings

that however will require a larger leap than ghosts being proven real

Pretty pathetic knowing that we'd be shocked with a signing of over £5m

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We 100% need too.

We had nothing on the bench to change the game at this level. I know we were missing Loven and Guthrie, but we're crying out air players who aren't Shola.

tbh Id have rather seen Vuckic gambled on instead of one of xisco or shola, unknown quantity coming into effect

Greetings from Canada. I hope most of you will be able to understand my English. :icon_lol:

May I just say that even last season I had the Premiership in mind whilst watching our boys win the Championship. At no point last season did I think our midfield were good enough for the Premiership. Perhaps Guthrie in a rotation, and if you need to use Smith and Barton, then as deep cover. Most of our goals last season came via the air, rarely was anything created by keeping the ball on the deck. So other than this Arfa talk, I'm quite shocked that this midfield would stay in tact going into the new season.

That being said, I'm true Toon and will be cheering our boys on to fight to stay up.

All the best from the Toronto Toon contingent! :icon_lol:

I see what you did there. You used complicated html to edit, or highlight some words in my post. You sneaky debil you.

:icon_lol:

:):lol::icon_lol:

Anyway.. did ayone else notice the fat man behind the england coach baldini?

aye, it was mentioned earlier

hopefully FMA will take the sky view of that being a game we were utterly mullered beyond anything that has ever happened before and be encouraged to get on with some signings

that however will require a larger leap than ghosts being proven real

Pretty pathetic knowing that we'd be shocked with a signing of over £5m

its the state we're in now though isnt it

no point harping on about signings or teams of old when talking about this season, doesnt change the here and now

I was quite impressed with us tonight. I've seen us with all-star super trophy-signing line-ups take worse beatings than that at Old Trafford. Particularly impressed with the way we didn't crumble after than second goal went in. I think we'll be ok this year.

The boy Perch looks a shocking buy though.

Left the pub at FT so thankfully missed the sky jizzfest. I actually quite enjoyed the lack of hype from the CC coverage, now we're back in the prem we have to put up with it again....

:lol: at the 'he's as fit as ever' comment.

Thought the performance was encouraging. Perch looks to be beating leon best for hughtons worse signing though. I worry about having nolan in the side at all, but i was very happy with carrols effort. Williamson also did a lot better than expected. Our passing is awful though. Pretty much noone had a good passing game. Its also worrying how enrique and coloccini still thinks we're in the championship and tries to play themselves out from the cornerflag. They need to remember what its like to thump it into the crowd.

A fair few have said they thought Routy played well. I thought he wasn't great though. I agree about the movement infront of him, but his crossing was garbage and final has was poor in general.

Agree, he did some excellent things, looked spritely on the ball but failed to deliver anything despite getting into dangerous positions. After beating his man, which he does far more often than not, he needs to be looking for passing options drawing another man making the pass and then breaking into space. Instead he continues with the ball trying to beat another player, and so on. It would help if he had someone in central midfield who can spray a pass accurately, but first things first he has to actually get the ball to them. He and Jonas are two frustrating players.

I was quite annoyed with Enrique towards the end where he held onto the ball and made a silly attempted pass back to Coloccini. Should have never turned back goalwards. Clearly a very good player who pretty much nullified Valencia, but needs to appreciate that it's not the Championship anymore.

I was stuck in a pub with Man U fans and they were raving about Carroll.

Perch is sub-standard. I'd rather play raylor. Smith played a lot better than expected.

Hopefully Enriique just had a bad game as I hope the PL isnt too much of step for him.

Perch is sub-standard. I'd rather play raylor. Smith played a lot better than expected.

In his defense there was a LOT of space down our right for them to exploit. He was pulled in too narrow a lot of the time though, contributing to that. Needs to close the space on the right out better but needs more communication from our central defenders.

Hopefully Enriique just had a bad game as I hope the PL isnt too much of step for him.

Despite him not having a great game he still effectively shut down Valencia. PL definitely not too much of a step for him, but there's only so much a left back can do.

In his defense there was a LOT of space down our right for them to exploit. He was pulled in too narrow a lot of the time though, contributing to that. Needs to close the space on the right out better but needs more communication from our central defenders.

Despite him not having a great game he still effectively shut down Valencia. PL definitely not too much of a step for him, but there's only so much a left back can do.

I don't think you can blame the CBs for is ineptness. I think he is a league out of his depth. Possibly 2. I hope i'm wrong.

Enrique looked a shadow of the player last year. We were playing one of the best teams in the world so I wont cast judgment too much.

We need a creative player in the center of midfield, or to play instead of Nolan behind striker when 451. Carroll wins a lot of the ball, but playing direct doesn't work with a lone striker. I really worry that he cannot provide us with the goals we need this season. Definately need a new striker. I just think that when we play 451, we shud have a pacey striker instead and play to feet and along the deck. Carroll will work when 442, and there's someone running onto it. Ben Arfa will be perfect to come in for Nolan, bringing creativity. Barton/smith/Nolan all have similar traits, in that tonight they stuck the challeges in, got behind the ball. But all lack the attacking mentality on the break.

I can't say I remember Valencia putting in a good cross, so I think its fair to say Jose did an ok job, fair enough he wasn't near what he reached last season but tonight was a massive step up. Unfortunate for the goal. Agree with the comments re: Perch, but that was his first Premier League game and it was at Old Trafford, so he gets the benefit of the doubt for now.

Just like Holden, I was stuck in a pub full of Man United idiots - and I mean idiots, one in particular thinking any player who did anything wrong was an absolute cunt and the worst player on the pitch, to being amazing after a successful pass - and one or two seemed to think Carroll really owned Evans and Vidic in the air. He was just far too isolated, having to chase his own flick-ons because Nolan hasn't got the legs to cover the centre circle let alone box to box.

There were some encouraging signs tonight. Our quick one touch passing was good at times. And the defence wasn't that bad for most parts. The real test is our first home game because we need to pick up points at home this season.

Edited by IrishMag

I don't think you can blame the CBs for is ineptness. I think he is a league out of his depth. Possibly 2. I hope i'm wrong.

Enrique looked a shadow of the player last year. We were playing one of the best teams in the world so I wont cast judgment too much.

I agree Perch looks out of his depth, but was just saying that he wasn't helped by having such a large area to cover, or the fact that yeah, we were playing Manure.

Hardly think Enrique looked a shadow of last year, didn't look the world beater but that's to be expected with the dramatic gulf between the leagues. More than held his own, with the exception of his silly attempt to play the ball out from the back instead of clearing it or sending it down the line. Basically he's the least of my worries.

I was stuck in a pub with Man U fans and they were raving about Carroll.

Thought he did well against Valencia. Am sure Nani was down that flank a couple of times too.

As much as you want to criticise Perch, those two are nails opposition for a premier league debut.

A fair few have said they thought Routy played well. I thought he wasn't great though. I agree about the movement infront of him, but his crossing was garbage and final has was poor in general.

Agree, he did some excellent things, looked spritely on the ball but failed to deliver anything despite getting into dangerous positions. After beating his man, which he does far more often than not, he needs to be looking for passing options drawing another man making the pass and then breaking into space. Instead he continues with the ball trying to beat another player, and so on. It would help if he had someone in central midfield who can spray a pass accurately, but first things first he has to actually get the ball to them. He and Jonas are two frustrating players.

I was quite annoyed with Enrique towards the end where he held onto the ball and made a silly attempted pass back to Coloccini. Should have never turned back goalwards. Clearly a very good player who pretty much nullified Valencia, but needs to appreciate that it's not the Championship anymore.

Routledge is just an average player. I said this when we signed him.

Colloccini is also an average premiership central defender, at best, and thats being kind.

Enrique though - was very disappointed. He is much better than he showed today.

Problem with the team is as some of us saw last season, which was pretty obvious in actual fact. We lack quality, pace, movement and passing in too many forward areas. You can't leave your striker isolated like we did tonight, and Nolan just does not have the legs to get forward and support him quickly enough.

Its going to be a long hard season. Investment was needed, and wasn't provided.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
James Perch

Really got stuck in at right-back as he refused to be cowed by United's dominance.

I don't want to be too critical of the lad but he has the potential to be worse than Fumaca in my view. Talk about rabbit in the headlights, he was embarrassing in my view, everything the Forest fans said is true.

We knew this season was going to be a struggle, we'll realise how much when Hughton is rejoicing over a draw with Villa next week :lol:

I was quite impressed with us tonight. I've seen us with all-star super trophy-signing line-ups take worse beatings than that at Old Trafford. Particularly impressed with the way we didn't crumble after than second goal went in. I think we'll be ok this year.

I thought we'd look reasonable tonight but still let in a few, and so it came to pass.

Even when we had a decent side I never fancied us down here but what a sorry state when we can rejoice in having a couple of attempts. Do we need to go over the obvious flaws? Hughton must know them but what can he do in his position? We might well stay up. Wow-wee! :lol: