The Twitter Thread

peasepud

Aye I take no pleasure from someone getting attacked in the street, which is how it's being described.

When the victim is someone who has previously attacked people in the street in a similar fashion I get a lot of pleasure out of knowing he now knows how it feels.

When the victim is someone who has previously attacked people in the street in a similar fashion I get a lot of pleasure out of knowing he now knows how it feels.

What was the nature of the attack? All I've heard/seen is that twitter is awash with that picture of Joey Barton topless and being restrained by his missus/Police and rumours that 2 blokes have been arrested.

I've heard nothing else

the_dilsh I am up and ready for Vegas baby going to be hench!!

Why is this shitty cathword playing for us? It's not enough that he's shit, but the dilsh??? hench??? Fuck off.

:lol: I was just about to ask who it was thinking it was some 16 year old youth keeper with patter like that, only to click the link and see it's Rob Elliot what a fucking cockend.

:lol: I was just about to ask who it was thinking it was some 16 year old youth keeper with patter like that, only to click the link and see it's Rob Elliot what a fucking cockend.

Robert Elliot@the_dilsh

Right busy day of gym haircuts,suit buyi g plus clothes for Vegas,lunch,long walk for daisy,garden cricket and seeing@Dangerharrison

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Harry Redknapp goes from the fans' England choice to a man reduced to offering tips on Twitter

In consolation goal terms, this one looks like the metaphorical version of the 96th-minute deflected fluke that reduces the deficit to 1-9. Small wonder, then, that Harry Redknapp marked his appointment as Betfair’s Euro 2012 expert tipster on Thursday with the exuberance of Mario Balotelli celebrating a meaningless tap-in.

Harry-Redknapp_AI_2242040b.jpg

Sick as a parrot: Harry Redknapp could be in Krakow. Instead he is taking abuse on Twitter. Photo: ACTION IMAGES

matthew-norman_1695695j.jpg

By Matthew Norman

7:15AM BST 08 Jun 2012

comments.gifComments

“I’m over the moon to be bringing my views to Betfair customers,” went Harry’s statement, but from the picture posted before an introductory Q&A session on Twitter, psittacosis – parrot fever to you and me – seemed the apter post-match cliché.

There sat Harry vainly trying to smile, and failing, as he held a piece of cheap A4 bearing the felt-tipped inducement “#AskArry with @BetfairSports”.

You didn’t require a speech bubble to read the thought behind the hangdog features. “How did I end up here with this b----- silly bit of paper,” it went, “when I was supposed to be in Krakow working on the England team-sheet?”

On Feb 8, when a jury of his peers sent him from Southwark Crown Court without a stain on his character, this same Betfair made him a prohibitive odds-on chance for the England post.

Not since Greville Starkey misrode El Gran Senor in the Derby, or Mike Tyson had his lights put out by James Douglas in Tokyo, has any dead cert come so spectacularly unstuck. The decline has been as precipitous as it is hard to explain.

Three days after he was cleared, his Spurs team welcomed him home to White Hart Lane with a 5-0 demolition of Newcastle United to go nine points clear of fourth-placed Arsenal. The only reason he could possibly reject the England job, so it appeared, was for the rival temptation of the Champions League.

Four months after the acquittal, he may be in two minds as to whether a spell in jug would have been preferable to all the public humiliation. Tottenham’s shameful implosion allowed a freakish series of events to deny them the Champions League spot, of course, while the Football Association contemptuously overlooked him in favour of a journeyman contemporary.

Now the Spurs chairman, Daniel Levy, adds to the grief by making Harry sweat over an extension to a contract with only a year to run. Mr Levy, who has a Cambridge first in land economy, may yet be so economical with his resources that Harry departs.

There is even a rumour about him going off to earn a quick fortune in Qatar. Although, in accord with the Don Revie doctrine it is only good form to chase petrodollars after a stint as England manager, he could be excused the breach of etiquette in light of his chairman’s apparent lack of faith. If no taxes are easy to love, this Levy has always struck me, as perhaps he strikes Harry, as one to avoid.

And so it was that Harry, discarded by country and disregarded by club, submitted to another assault on his dignity. The questions on Twitter were not, by and large, bathed in kindness. Some touched on the financial acuity of his dog, Rosie, while others were too libellous to be touched on here.

At times, it was unclear how seriously the Twitterati were taking this PR exercise. Someone asked whether he feels that “Dutch girls should be punished for having big boobs”; someone else whether he agrees that he is a ringer for Deputy Dawg.

A few people even mentioned football, one correspondent inviting him to explain what he’d do differently, should he take the Tardis back to January, “to maintain Spurs’ title (or at the least third-place) challenge?”

He didn’t answer that (he answered very few), and understandably so because, albeit unwittingly, this was the cruellest question of all.

Who would be so unfeeling as to remind a chap of all the golden possibilities that lay ahead a few short months ago, but which by some brutal reverse alchemy so quickly turned to lead?

Poor Arry :lol:

Weldy ‏@weldy1980

But most Irish players play because they werent good enuff to play for England or refused to play for NI. And the 'fans', foreign n'all

Weldy talking a lot of sense on twitter this morning.

Maybe not. But there are still plenty who are. Personally I think that if you're born in NI then you should play for NI.

But it's hard to support them. Take a look at the fans who travelled to Amsterdam for their last match.

northern-ireland-fans-700.jpg

Every flag hung over the end is either a Union Jack, the Royal Standard or mentions God Save the Queen or 'Scarva Loyal'. If you don't think that there's still a problem with NI fans then you're simply ignorant. Maybe they should concentrate a little more on supporting their team rather than banging on about the Union.

Edited by ewerk

Maybe not. But there are still plenty who are. Personally I think that if you're born in NI then you should play for NI.

But it's hard to support them. Take a look at the fans who travelled to Amsterdam for their last match.

northern-ireland-fans-700.jpg

Every flag hung over the end is either a Union Jack, the Royal Standard or mentions God Save the Queen or 'Scarva Loyal'. If you don't think that there's still a problem with NI fans then you're simply ignorant. Maybe they should concentrate a little more on supporting their team rather than banging on about the Union.

Hmmm Paddy McCourt has no problem playing for Northern Ireland, from a Republican family from the dodgiest place on these islands County Derry. England has bigoted supporters too, so does Scotland, and most definitely so does the Republic of Ireland.

As I said, fair play to Paddy McCourt for making an effort, just as Neill Lennon and many others have. It's a pity that the bigoted element of the support won't reciprocate it by no longer bringing Union Jacks to the games. They've a fucking cheek on them to tell us to support their country when most of them aren't even waving their country's flag.

And as for your mate not being a bigot, he's already stated that he's supporting anyone who plays the Republic. Not bigoted at all...

As I said, fair play to Paddy McCourt for making an effort, just as Neill Lennon and many others have. It's a pity that the bigoted element of the support won't reciprocate it by no longer bringing Union Jacks to the games. They've a fucking cheek on them to tell us to support their country when most of them aren't even waving their country's flag.

And as for your mate not being a bigot, he's already stated that he's supporting anyone who plays the Republic. Not bigoted at all...

There is loads of Northern Ireland flags in there. I can only see two Union Jacks. I don't think that's bigoted to be honest. They're Northern Ireland's main rival. Is it bigoted for Scotland to want England to lose? Bitter aye, but not bigoted.

You're not naive enough to honestly believe that. Look at the way your mate is going on about ROI, it's bigotry. He has no problem supporting England but yet wants the Republic to lose every game. And for the record, there's one English born player in the starting XI.

[stevie] look now, Im not Irish, and I don't go there, but just like when I told that blackburn fan I know more about his club than he does and that kean would keep them up I am right about this [/stevie]

You're not naive enough to honestly believe that. Look at the way your mate is going on about ROI, it's bigotry. He has no problem supporting England but yet wants the Republic to lose every game. And for the record, there's one English born player in the starting XI.

He certainly doesn't support England, and laughs when we're shite. How do you know definitively what his starting eleven is? In a squad of 23 players. Six English, two Northern Irish, and one Scottish. Unbelievable that.