Shane Ferguson tearing apart international opposition

Christmas Tree

Based on time on the field Obertan has a better record for providing assists....and Shola comes third...

Obertan - 134 minutes per assist

Marveaux - 163

Ameobi - 344

Ferguson - 346

Let's start those 4.

Only stats that matter against QPR are goals.

And given we would have people on the field who can create, I'd be quite happy for those four to start. (Assuming HBA is as knackered as people say).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, why is every thread full of shitting ourselves over relegation. Its not going to happen .

The only way we'd NEED A WIN against QPR is if we were 2 points behind wigan ffs.

Edited by scoobos

Seriously, why is every thread full of shitting ourselves over relegation. Its not going to happen .

The only way we'd NEED A WIN against QPR is if we were 2 points behind wigan ffs.

Quite normal behaviour from fans if a fourth bottom team with two games to go and the team below has a nasty habit of getting good results at the end of a season. Add to that our absolute fire form and its quite understandable.

The euphoria I will feel if we escape will be quite something. I might e en shed a tear.

• 1 month later...

Shane Ferguson says breaking into Newcastle United’s first team is his main priority this season – but Birmingham City boss Lee Clark is still waiting in the wings to give him regular action.

The Northern Ireland international spent last term on loan at the second city club, and Clark admitted to the Chronicle he was keen to take the left-sided player back in the next few weeks on another temporary switch.

However, Toon boss Alan Pardew wants to have a thorough look at Ferguson during the club’s pre-season programme, and the Derry lad is likely to play against Motherwell on July 16.

Ferguson said: “It definitely is a big year for me, as I’m coming to that age now where I just want to play a lot of games and hopefully I can this year.

“Obviously my main objective is to try and get into the Newcastle team. I played a good few games last season up until Christmas before I went out on loan to Birmingham City and I just want to get back to that again and hopefully I can in the coming years.”

Pardew will hold discussions with Ferguson on his return to United’s HQ on July 1 when the player will return for fitness assessment.

The United chief is a keen admirer of Ferguson and the 21-year-old said: “I just have to wait and see when I go back to pre-season in a few weeks’ time and see what the plans are.

“I think there have been talks already about me maybe going out on loan again. I see a few things in the papers as well about that.

“It was great to go out on loan last year and play a lot of games for a few months.”

But Ferguson also has an excellent rapport with Clark and added: “I scored a goal and had a few assists, and as I said it was great to just go out and play games.

“I really enjoyed it my time at Birmingham.

“Because he (Lee Clark) was my reserve coach at Newcastle that was one of the main reasons why I decided to sign for Birmingham.

“I knew what he was all about – he’s a great manager and it worked really well when I went down there.

“If we bring in a couple more players then I wouldn’t mind going out on loan, to be honest, just to get more game time.

“It would be great to get a full season under my belt.

“Going out and meeting the new lads at Birmingham and living in a new city was a great experience.”

If we don't sign a quality winger he will/should get more games tbf. There isn't much competitions out wide and with Ben Arfa out for 75% of every seasons I would rather see Ferguson or Sammy out there than Jonas!

Jonas won't have 20 proper assists or goals to his name in all his time here.I've said this before,if he gets a game because he helps the left back defend,we need a left back who can defend and a left sided midfield player who can create/score

Edited by essembeeofsunderland

Jonas won't have 20 proper assists or goals to his name in all his time here.I've said this before,if he gets a game because he helps the left back defend,we need a left back who can defend and a left sided midfield player who can create/score

22 assists, 10 goals

pcpXcLT.gif

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

If only you researched our own players as much as you do news on Sunderland

If only you researched our own players as much as you do news on Sunderland

Mind, Jonas on 22 assists after 5 full seasons, including one in the Championship, is quite poor. 10 goals is eqaully as poor.

He basically contributes towards 6-7 goals a season. That is not good enough for a player who plays week in, week out.

His work rate is admirable but he offers little going forward. Constantly checks back and when he manages to get a cross in, it is often poor. He is a blue chip player under Pardew, so can't see anyone else regularly getting in on the left wing ahead of him.

Wolves wait in the wings for Newcastle United young gun :(

Newcastle United could be facing a big decision when it comes to the future of Shane Ferguson.

Technically-gifted Ferguson has impressed United fans in his brief appearances for the Magpies, but his path to the first team could be blocked by left-sided players such as Davide Santon, Massadio Haidara, Jonas and Sylvain Marveaux this season.

The Chronicle understands that Wolverhampton Wanderers are keen on the 21-year-old and while a loan bid remains a possibility, the Molineux club may even make a cash bid for his services and push for a permanent move.

Wolves may have been relegated to League One last term, yet under new boss Kenny Jackett they are determined to make an instant return to the Championship.

Ordinarily playing in the third tier would not be an attraction for the Derry lad.

However, given Wolves still have that big club appeal, draw in big crowds and are the clear favourites to win League One next term, it could be an offer Ferguson has to take into consideration.

Only preliminary enquiries have been made so far between representatives of the two parties.

But if Wolves were to come up with the right fee – with Ferguson valued at £1.5million – the player could be plying his trade elsewhere next term.

Ferguson’s initial aim was to fight for his place at United.

He will be 22 this month, and having worked his way through the Academy, his dream is to play regularly with the Magpies. However, it was 12 months ago that Alan Pardew challenged him to show he could cut it in the first team, and although he did chip in with 14 appearances in all competitions with three assists, Ferguson was farmed out on loan at Birmingham City, with the United boss eager for him to play regular football.

Lee Clark’s Blues also want Ferguson for a second season on loan and with three years left on his contract at his parent club Newcastle, the Championship – and the fact the Northern Ireland star has a great rapport with the Geordie – could be a more tempting proposition if he wasn’t guaranteed regular action with the Magpies.

Jackett, who has told five first-team stars to train away from his first-team group, is pushing to give Wolves a new look.

He said: “It will be a new team with new dynamics and new dynamics to the dressing room. I think we need that after the last two seasons.” Ferguson has also been told by his international manager Michael O'Neill that he has reached the age where he must be playing regular football if he wants to add to his eight Northern Ireland caps.

The ex-Newcastle striker says: “He's at an age now where he needs to play.

“From his point of view he just wants to continue playing.

“When he goes back to Newcastle he'll hope to be making inroads into the first team again. If not then he'll probably look at his options with regards to going out on loan and playing elsewhere.”

Injuries at club level and a political tug of war between the Republic of Ireland and the north have cost Ferguson a lot of game time in recent years and the player does not need reminding how big the coming campaign is for him.

The possibility of the odd League Cup appearance in the first half of the new season may not be enough to feed his appetite to play on the first team stage.

Was he playing left back while he was on loan ? He is clearly a winger if anything.

He played left back and left wing and created goals and scored one. Very useful to have around IMO.

As for Santon and Haidara I think they have yet to prove themselves by any stretch. That's not say they won't but Haidara is young and only new and Santon was terrible a lot last season gifting quite a few goals in the process.

Yet Santon is younger than Ferguson has already proven himself at top level football whereas Shane hasn't.

Still love how old this thread is like.

:D

I love threads like this where the numptys show up and talk shite.

"He's too lightweight" --- So whats Jonas.

"He's too lightweight" --- Played out of his skin against Chelsea got one assist and won a corner for another goal.

"He's too lightweight" --- He did all of this from a left back position.

He is currently being asked to play left wing for the reserves......I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Jonas has never been good enough for the prem. Not first time round and certainly not this time around. Lua Lua should be in ahead of him but Hughton fucked that one up.

We have no one else who can naturally play in Jonas position. The fact thats he's already proved himself against the Big Boys makes it a no brainer.

And the man love for Jonas by some on here is simply shocking. Bit of luck though we'll replace him in the window.

Comments on Shanes Chelsea performance

From Hughton "Shane Ferguson floats between left-back and left-wing.’’ And shone."

From Henry Winter "When Ferguson, Newcastle’s excellent young left-back, lifted in a 26th-minute cross, Chelsea’s defence froze.

From Beardsley "PETER BEARDSLEY believes the emergence of Shane Ferguson has been one of the big pluses so far this season for him as Newcastle United’s reserve-team manager.

Its time for Shanes World.

Oh dear.

Yet Santon is younger than Ferguson has already proven himself at top level football whereas Shane hasn't.

Still love how old this thread is like.

Not to back and forth like, but no way has Santon proved himself with us. At times looked a bit flash going forward but mostly poor end product, poor defending and constantly getting caught out of possession.

Personally I would look for a solid 26/27 proven left back so we can also retire the excuse that Jonas needs to be in the team to protect the left back,

Not to back and forth like, but no way has Santon proved himself with us. At times looked a bit flash going forward but mostly poor end product, poor defending and constantly getting caught out of possession.

Personally I would look for a solid 26/27 proven left back so we can also retire the excuse that Jonas needs to be in the team to protect the left back,

He has and he's also proven himself at Champions League level too. He was one of our better performers for the first half of last season and he faded dramatically as he clearly needed a rest but due to our lack of squad depth he couldn't get this. Also you have to remember that last season most of our team performed well under our expectations, so I'm not sure how throwing Ferguson into the team would solve this.

Do you not remember when Ferguson was given his chance last season in the league at home (West Ham or Swansea?) and he produced absolutely nothing. Your hyperbole surrounding him is worrying.

He has and he's also proven himself at Champions League level too. He was one of our better performers for the first half of last season and he faded dramatically as he clearly needed a rest but due to our lack of squad depth he couldn't get this. Also you have to remember that last season most of our team performed well under our expectations, so I'm not sure how throwing Ferguson into the team would solve this.

Do you not remember when Ferguson was given his chance last season in the league at home (West Ham or Swansea?) and he produced absolutely nothing. Your hyperbole surrounding him is worrying.

I didn't say he should be thrown into the team, quite the opposite actually :)

However I do remember last season him getting 3 assists in a row.

As for Santon we'll see. Even when he was in his early season "good form" I think he flattered to deceive. Looked good at times going forward but little came of it.