Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be argued that by letting the minor nations play in a pre-qualification group amongst themselves that it is more beneficial for their own development than getting humped by average teams like Ireland.

I think that's where the mindset ends up, at least. But then a qualification round would be more in keeping with the Champions League approach to exclusivity and I'm more of an "unseeded European Cup" kind of guy, so y'knaa.

It's worth it if it produces moments like the quick goal in the 8-1 in 93 or whenever it was which is still one of my favourite comedy football moments ever.

So maybe a proper knock out competition? Worth it if a smaller footballing nation, not minnows but, say, salmon knock out the sharks of Germany and Spain?

Problem is, that what UEFA & FIFA want are the biggest teams playing on the biggest stage to get the biggest audiences buying the biggest brands for the biggest price.

Not much motivation when the "prize" for winning your pre-qualification group is to go and get humped by average teams like Ireland anyway, though.

Unless consistently doing well in the smaller tournament allows them to properly fund a footballing authority that improves the standard of facilities, coaching and players? Which finally grants them promotion into the higher tier?

Not much motivation when the "prize" for winning your pre-qualification group is to go and get humped by average teams like Ireland anyway, though.

Yeah but it gives them a chance to play against teams more their own level and an opportunity to learn how to play their own game rather than spending most matches with their backs to the wall.

A lot of the appeal for smaller countries is getting to play against the big boys, though, particularly when you know you're never going to be that good. Just look at the interviews with the San Marino and Andorra players ahead of the England games in recent years. Telling them "right, the biggest team you get to play is Kazakhstan and maybe in ten years from now you might be good enough to play Montenegro, but don't worry, you're definitely not second-class citizens or anything" is a bit rough.

Maybe a setup like the European Team Championships in athletics would be an idea - have the current qualification system, so the smaller teams still get to play the larger ones at some point, but then at the same time as the regular Euros you hold several smaller tournaments at the lower levels too with the qualification determining which bracket you end up in.

Maybe a setup like the European Team Championships in athletics would be an idea - have the current qualification system, so the smaller teams still get to play the larger ones at some point, but then at the same time as the regular Euros you hold several smaller tournaments at the lower levels too with the qualification determining which bracket you end up in.

Would that get the the attention (and therefore the only important thing; money) that they need to progress beyond simply being pointless exercises the bigger nations have to run through? What are they getting from the playing the likes of Spain and England, that they don't get from playing, say, Croatia or Greece? It's like essembee getting into a philosophical debate with Plato or a Lamppost; it doesn't matter which, because he's still embarrassingly out matched.

It's like essembee getting into a philosophical debate with Plato or a Lamppost; it doesn't matter which, because he's still embarrassingly out matched.

He's not even playing the same game, it'd be like Liechtenstein sending its Paralympic swimming team out to face Germany.

It's worth it if it produces moments like the quick goal in the 8-1 in 93 or whenever it was which is still one of my favourite comedy football moments ever.

:D Classic moment that. Ironically it took all of the tension out of the situation as reality struck home that England weren't going to be at the World Cup (even if the goal itself had no actual impact on that).

A lot of the appeal for smaller countries is getting to play against the big boys, though, particularly when you know you're never going to be that good. Just look at the interviews with the San Marino and Andorra players ahead of the England games in recent years. Telling them "right, the biggest team you get to play is Kazakhstan and maybe in ten years from now you might be good enough to play Montenegro, but don't worry, you're definitely not second-class citizens or anything" is a bit rough.

Letting them have their shot at the big teams is all very nice but they should be there on merit, it is a competitive sport afterall.

Having so many teams bloating the qualifiers and then the tournament itself is getting a bit school sports day with a professional sport.

I do agree the expansion of the end tournament itself is daft - 16 rather than 8 teams makes sense given the increase in the number of UEFA member states, but 24 is taking it too far. Still think pre-qualification is a flawed concept though. You either accept the geopolitical setup as it is or you don't bother playing international football at all (considering how arbitrary nationality is in the first place when you think about it).

The group stages of the finals themselves will be daft too, with four out of the six third placed teams going through to the last sixteen knock-out phase.

Unless consistently doing well in the smaller tournament allows them to properly fund a footballing authority that improves the standard of facilities, coaching and players? Which finally grants them promotion into the higher tier?

Would funding a proper football authority help the likes of San Marino anyway? They just don't have the numbers to get enough talent. It's possible that they might produce one star player once in a while but when the rest of the team are comparable to North Shields it's not going to help them much when they come up against countries the size of England or Germany.

The PFA supports oil seed rape

Football is ran by absolute idiots. Either that or they sit around a table and intentionally think about what is the worst possible decision they could make on a daily basis. That is why I wasn't surprised to see that convicted rapist Ched Evans was in the PFA's League 1 team of the year.

article_70a87a331d19db69_1334947293_9j-4

Evans has 35 goals in 42 games for Sheffield United and clearly should be in the League 1 team of the year based on his footballing performances. However, maybe I'm old-fashioned but I don't think that anyone who has been sentenced to five years in prison for rape should receive an award.

Chief executive Gordon Taylor said that if the PFA had decided to withdraw Evans from the team, it would have caused a storm as it was fellow professionals who voted and it would be manipulating the vote. Footballers are not the brightest but they still understand that rape is bad. Well I think they do, I could list the 100s of footballers who have been accused but I would get in trouble. Alternatively you could join in on our facebook page and make your "accused XI".

Anyway, there is absolutely no way this would have caused the "storm" he was predicting. Like anyone really gives a shit about the League 1 team of the year. If it wasn't for this story I wouldn't have even known there was one. Someone called Rhoys Wiggins is in the team, is Rhoys really a name? He sounds like a mix between a gangster rapper and Mr Bean.

The PFA are happy to keep Evans in the team because it was a professional decision and not a moral one, showing they have the morals of a Nazi general. Evans is going to appeal his sentence and this is something they are also mindful of, as am I. If he appeals successfully, I will have to go and delete every comment where I have called him a rapist and I'm just too lazy to do that.

Sheffield United might give his old job back.

http://t.co/TcZ7MaZbXq

Served bugger all time and is unrepentant? I wouldn't let him out out the cones.

I can understand peoples problem with it but hes served the time he was required to by law and anyone who has done that has the right to return to work, If a private company wants to employ him that's up to them.