Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russell Slade introduced in Cardiff. Vincent Tan takes another swipe.

"After all, Cardiff gave a chance to a mediocre manager from Watford and he took the Club to the Premier League. I did however give him a lot of money to spend for that in fact, too much money.

5044868000_605fafc986_o.gif

“I always had a bit of hassle against Newcastle. I’d been sent off twice up there. I’d had my battles with (Alan) Shearer and Rob Lee,” he writes.

“I always thought they were an arrogant bunch, for a club that had won f*** all. We always got decent results at St James’ Park; it wasn’t a bad place to play. But as for the Toon Army, the Geordies and the hostile reception – I never fell for all that crap.”

While he is dismissive about Newcastle in his book, Keane is more fulsome about the Tyne-Wear derbies that he managed in.

And he rates the 2008 win – Sunderland’s first on home soil for 30 years – as the high-point of his time at the Stadium of Light.

“It was the first time we’d beaten Newcastle at home in thirty-odd years. It was electric – the tension. (Djibril) Cisse scored, and Kieran (Richardson). The level of player we had now had gone up since I’d come to the club. We played really well. I think it was my happiest day at Sunderland.”

Keane’s insight into a St James’ Park derby in 2008 is also interesting. The Black Cats lost and Keane felt there were “mind games” at play.

“We were a goal down after four minutes – a Michael Owen header,” he said.

“There were mind games going on before the match. The police got us there three hours before kick off – players got bored, testosterone levels are high; it’s too long to wait. Jonny (Evans) and Phil Bardsley were injured, so didn’t play. They were a big loss.”

Sometimes I see a player doing well and think "god I wish we'd signed him when he was available" like Sigurdsson this season and tonight.

Then I realise that it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

South Shields has double the population of San Marino. It puts it into perspective how terrible the 5-0

Always makes me laugh whenever England beat a minnow; no matter the score, they won't come out of it with praise. They comfortably beat a team 5-0 and barely needed to get out of first gear, but it wasn't 10-0. Of course, if they did put double figures past them, well, it's only San Marino so it means nowt.

This is exactly why there should be a qualifying round for the smaller nations like San Marino and Gibraltar etc.

I don't see the point of a qualifying round when the "winner" will still get smashed by all the other teams in whatever group they end up in. Either let everyone in or don't let smaller nations play at all.

South Shields has double the population of San Marino. It puts it into perspective how terrible the 5-0

Think Fish has a point re: the damned if you do, damned if you don't argument about the scoreline, but the performance in the first half in particular by England was shit considering the opposition (even allowing for their tactics). The qualifying for this tournament is a joke as well. It's something like 23 teams (plus the hosts) out of 50-odd will make it to the finals. I think the best 3rd place team gets through then the others meet each other in playoffs or something like that. :lol:

Edited by Alex

I don't see the point of a qualifying round when the "winner" will still get smashed by all the other teams in whatever group they end up in. Either let everyone in or don't let smaller nations play at all.

I'd set it up like the Europa/Champions League set up; the winner of the Europa League now gets a CL spot.

I know what you're saying about the teams getting humped, but they'd be getting humped by Spain instead of Ireland. Should the argument be against them being in competitions with the "big teams" at all?

Think Fish has a point re: the damned if you do, damned if you don't argument about the scoreline, but the performance in the first half in particular by England was shit considering the opposition (even allowing for their tactics). The qualifying for this tournament is a joke as well. It's something like 23 teams (plus the hosts) out of 50-odd will make it to the finals. I think the best 3rd place team gets through then the others meet each other in playoffs or something like that. :lol:

Oh don't get me wrong, the performance wasn't great and England looked witless in attack, but England still beat them 5-0 and are getting pelters. I don't see the value for either side in these games.

I know what you're saying about the teams getting humped, but they'd be getting humped by Spain instead of Ireland. Should the argument be against them being in competitions with the "big teams" at all?

I think that's where the mindset ends up, at least. But then a qualification round would be more in keeping with the Champions League approach to exclusivity and I'm more of an "unseeded European Cup" kind of guy, so y'knaa.