Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

Dunno like, I struggle with the national anthem. I'd refuse to stand, sing, bow, whatever if it came on. Not sure I'd turn my back in his position, but I'd be doing my best to look disengaged.

That said, if we had an anthem that wasn't praising and singing for the good health of a small number of 'elites' then I'd be on board with it, so maybe that is a difference.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno like, I struggle with the national anthem. I'd refuse to stand, sing, bow, whatever if it came on. Not sure I'd turn my back in his position, but I'd be doing my best to look disengaged.

That said, if we had an anthem that wasn't praising and singing for the good health of a small number of 'elites' then I'd be on board with it, so maybe that is a difference.

Yeah, your issue is with a mythical creature defending some German lass who won the bloodline Lottery. Understandable.

This guy strikes me as Joey Barton with less brains.

Jesus christ! It's a wonder he can stand up without instruction.

If bloodline lotteries didn't have so much influence over the respective social positions of most of the people in this country, then yes, it'd be an irrelevant position to take.

No one was asking him to belt out the words. Of course the anthem is a pile of shite but it shows a complete disdain for the country in which he's happy to earn to a living. When the likes of Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness are happy to shake the Queen's hand then it shows this twat up for the petty idiot he is.

Well he's being put into this position by his career choice. He may be misguided but what is actually wrong with standing up for what you believe in? He's got to look the catholic community back home in Derry in the eye, I imagine that means more to him than pissing off the internet and football people in general tbh.

I think protesting the Royal Family is a better use of your time than protesting a song about them. :dunno:

I feel hugely uncomfortable whenever I've stood up for the anthem in the past (which I now don't do) because I simply don't believe in the words on the level of principle. I do not owe them my allegiance, and I will not stand respectfully for them while singing for their good health. I think it's a farce that the anthem that represents 60 million people is dedicated to a single old woman.

I'm not going to protest about it though, I'm just expressing personal preference. McClean is a slightly different case if his issue is more with the UK, as that does raise the spectre of 'well you're happy to earn a living here'; but if it's directed at the Royals as mine is, then I can't fault him. I doubt it's the latter though, that doesn't seem to be the political angle for Ireland. That said, I can understand his position and the sentiment, even if it is a tad misguided.

I feel hugely uncomfortable whenever I've stood up for the anthem in the past (which I now don't do) because I simply don't believe in the words on the level of principle. I do not owe them my allegiance, and I will not stand respectfully for them while singing for their good health. I think it's a farce that the anthem that represents 60 million people is dedicated to a single old woman.

I'm not going to protest about it though, I'm just expressing personal preference. McClean is a slightly different case if his issue is more with the UK, as that does raise the spectre of 'well you're happy to earn a living here'; but if it's directed at the Royals as mine is, then I can't fault him. I doubt it's the latter though, that doesn't seem to be the political angle for Ireland. That said, I can understand his position and the sentiment, even if it is a tad misguided.

:dunno: It's a partisan song that I only ever hear at the beginning of a sporting event, I can honestly say it doesn't impact my life whatsoever... beyond the fact it's a dirge and it's hardly a stirring call to arms.

The Royal family as an establishment is another issue.

When I went to our games n the US in 2000, I remained standing for the two anthems out of good manners in someone else's country more than anything else so I think on that basis I think he's slightly wrong. Overall however I made a point of sitting down at the cup finals when GSTQ was played as I did when it was played at SJP for the royal deaths. I don't think I will ever stand for it again given the slightest choice.

Well he's being put into this position by his career choice. He may be misguided but what is actually wrong with standing up for what you believe in? He's got to look the catholic community back home in Derry in the eye, I imagine that means more to him than pissing off the internet and football people in general tbh.

The point is that the war is over. 99% of people in this country want to move on from our bloody past but there are idiots who would still like to see us shooting and blowing up 'the Brits'. The likes of Shane Ferguson is also from Derry but that's hasn't stopped him from playing for NI or turning his back during GSTQ.

:dunno: It's a partisan song that I only ever hear at the beginning of a sporting event, I can honestly say it doesn't impact my life whatsoever... beyond the fact it's a dirge and it's hardly a stirring call to arms.

The Royal family as an establishment is another issue.

Have thought about this a little more - I think I'd say that the singing/standing would be tacit acknowledgement of their position and a demonstration of the level of acceptance in our society that we have for this hierarchical system. So no, the anthem in itself, if considered alone, is not worthy of ire. When considered as part of our social conditioning however, for me at least, refusal to take part is necessary.

The point is that the war is over. 99% of people in this country want to move on from our bloody past but there are idiots who would still like to see us shooting and blowing up 'the Brits'. The likes of Shane Ferguson is also from Derry but that's hasn't stopped him from playing for NI or turning his back during GSTQ.

This is a fair comment. As a public figure, he does have a level of responsibility.

He's even played for Rangers.