Cameron --- Pen Pushers can't stop your Royal party!

Christmas Tree

You'd have to be a moron to lap up this sort of popularist guff. No offence, CT.

None taken :( By popularist Im not sure if your're referring to Cameron or the Street parties.

In all seriousness and while I accept a bit of electioneering, its still nice for him to come out and say what he's said, particularly in these times when everything is red tape.

With regard to the street parties, in the 70's these were a chance for whole streets and mainly pretty deprived kids, to have a very special day and a bit of fun and change from the norm. While we have many cynical adults, you would be hard pushed to find any kid who would be over the moon to see the street decorated with bunting and all the adults and children taking a day out from the norm to have a good time.

Even more of a novelty in these days where some people find it too much of a strain to even communicate with their neighbours.

Atheists have no problem celebrating Christmas so the likes of NJS should have little problem enjoying a street party.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd have to be a moron to lap up this sort of popularist guff. No offence, CT.

None taken :( By popularist Im not sure if your're referring to Cameron or the Street parties.

In all seriousness and while I accept a bit of electioneering, its still nice for him to come out and say what he's said, particularly in these times when everything is red tape.

With regard to the street parties, in the 70's these were a chance for whole streets and mainly pretty deprived kids, to have a very special day and a bit of fun and change from the norm. While we have many cynical adults, you would be hard pushed to find any kid who would be over the moon to see the street decorated with bunting and all the adults and children taking a day out from the norm to have a good time.

Even more of a novelty in these days where some people find it too much of a strain to even communicate with their neighbours.

Atheists have no problem celebrating Christmas so the likes of NJS should have little problem enjoying a street party.

I meant Cameron. Agree 100% with the bit in bold too.

I was heading out of London for the weekend anyway, now I can make an extra day of it. If people want to celebrate it then fair enough, but I really couldn't give a toss.

However, surely Cameron should be imploring people to save the money for these dark days ahead?

Will by avoiding it as much as possible as my sister's getting married the following day and I really can't fake interest in 2 weddings in 2 days. I'll enjoy the day off though.

I must be a natural born cynic - I was 13 in 1977 and remember thinking it was a load of shite then.

I actually agree about the community thing - though of course think the "cause" is 100% wrong.

I'm doing the 3 day/11 day break thing but won't be participating surprisingly.

I must be a natural born cynic - I was 13 in 1977 and remember thinking it was a load of shite then.

I actually agree about the community thing - though of course think the "cause" is 100% wrong.

I'm doing the 3 day/11 day break thing but won't be participating surprisingly.

I can envisage the NJS Royal street party :razz:

guillotine.jpg

When one of them dies do we have to be sad?

If it's Kate, you break open the coffin and give her one right there in Westminster Abbey. If it is William, you get Elton John to re-write another of his hits, and then sacrifice him on the altar for the Diana version of Candle in the wind.

I wonder if bookies will be offering odds of if/when they divorce?

That Kate seems like a right Heather Mills type somehow.

I'm not a royalist, but I dont see why to be negative against two people getting married?

That said, we're arranging to take the kids camping when its on just to keep out the way.

If it is William, you get Elton John to re-write another of his hits, and then sacrifice him on the altar for the Diana version of Candle in the wind.

Easy choice right there. :(

Interesting to note that a Republican street party being arranged in that there London on the same day has been blocked by the council.

Camden Council has been accused of discrimination on the grounds of political belief after it withdrew permission to close a central London street to traffic for a ‘Not The Royal Wedding’ event organised by anti-royal pressure group Republic.

The party was originally planned for 11.30am on 29 April on Earlham Street, Covent Garden and was given the go-ahead by council officials in March. But a request for a temporary traffic order has now been rejected, meaning the party is effectively banned. Republic’s Executive Officer, Graham Smith, said in a press release:

‘This is a disgraceful attack on the rights of republicans to make their voice heard and to hold a fun and peaceful event. Camden Council is allowing a few vocal residents and businesses to veto any event in central London they do not support. Our street party is designed to be a peaceful, fun, family event with food, music and stalls. The police, local businesses and the council’s own staff have been fully supportive of our plans. We can only assume this is a politically motivated ban and we will challenge it all the way.’

The ban follows hot on the heels of Prime Minister David Cameron’s warning to local authorities not to interfere or indulge in petty bureaucracy over events planned during the impending royal wedding. Even the Elf n’ Safety bunch have instructed us not to be fobbed off by council jobsworths attempting to put the kybosh on local celebrations by over-interpreting health and safety guidelines, though, the wedding planners are probably wishing that the HSE had come in a bit more useful when trying to find reasons to get rid of the Parliament Square peace camp in time for the nuptials.

Republic, who have developed a nice line in anti-royal wedding merchandise, say that the party was planned to demonstrate dissent against the hype around the royal wedding – a view shared by others who have planned similar events around the capital. It’s not just events either; the Met have warned that anarchists may plan disruption during the weekend, presumably armed with royal wedding sick bags and mugs. The pressure group says it is seeking legal advice and may challenge Camden’s decision in the courts.

Edited by Ketsbaia

Am I right in thinking all those who don't like the Royals and are having a pop at this will be going to work that day as normal? Bit hypocritical if not.

Am I right in thinking all those who don't like the Royals and are having a pop at this will be going to work that day as normal? Bit hypocritical if not.

Do you love Jesus?

Do you love Jesus?

Just asking, but if you're going to say I should work Christmas if I'm not a Christian then I'd agree with you. Not detracting from my original question I do attend church on occasion, I am baptised and I was married in a church, religion is a personal thing and I wouldn't push it on anyone the same as I wouldn't want to push my royalist tendancies on others - I do think it's a tad hypocritical of anyone bitching about the Royals to take the day off though to be honest.

:( It's like a mong and an argument had sex and made a baby. A mongument.

So Christians get Christmas off but others dont. Do athiests get to pick days of their own choosing? What about religions with the most festival days. Should the workshy convert?

Public holiday are decided by central government and no-one should be obliged to believe or act in any way because of what has been decided. The fact that I've been gifted a 4-day weekend does not make me want to get out the bunting any more than it does praise the lord or dance round a maypole.