Owen - If only the fans knew the facts!

KeithJ

I work with a few former rugby players and honestly I'd have to wonder how the doctors would be able to establish what is the result of head trauma versus normal run-of-the-mill class-A stupidity in most of them. :lol:

And then there's the recreational drug use which is like incinerating a melted candle with a blowtorch for these fuckers.

Anyway, head knocks -- serious business. Stop distracting me from my outrage! 😛

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if a manager used a head ‘injury’ to make another substitution if the concussion rules allowed it.

Then you need severe sanctions for anyone deliberately abusing it - see Dean Richards in rugby / Bloodgate. Also, TV footage would clearly show if the player didn’t receive a blow to the head. People will always try to take advantage of things by cheating but that’s not a reason not to take concussions etc. much more seriously than is currently the case

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Then you need severe sanctions for anyone deliberately abusing it - see Dean Richards in rugby / Bloodgate. Also, TV footage would clearly show if the player didn’t receive a blow to the head. People will always try to take advantage of things by cheating but that’s not a reason not to take concussions etc. much more seriously than is currently the case

Taking the decision of concussion injuries out of the manager's hands could a way around it. The Premier League dispatch an independent medical delegate, qualified in neurology to each match whose call it is to make whether a player suffering a head injury should be allowed to continue or not. 

• Like 2

Going back to the point in hand however, it's one thing Owen having that 'caveman' opinion, it's quite another that he verbalised it in front of a fellow ex-professional who has been well documented for passionately fighting the crusade against Alzheimer's / Dementia suffered by footballers.  

Complete lack of class, the utter cunt.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Craig said:

Going back to the point in hand however, it's one thing Owen having that 'caveman' opinion, it's quite another that he verbalised it in front of a fellow ex-professional who has been well documented for passionately fighting the crusade against Alzheimer's / Dementia suffered by footballers.  

Complete lack of class, the utter cunt.

He's a winnet.

Don’t think he realised / did it deliberately but that doesn’t make it any less insensitive. I get the impression he does fuck all research and just wings it so possibly isn’t aware of the context. All he’s interested in is the 2.40 at Newmarket 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Don’t think he realised / did it deliberately but that doesn’t make it any less insensitive. I get the impression he does fuck all research and just wings it so possibly isn’t aware of the context. All he’s interested in is the 2.40 at Newmarket 

Then at best he's an ignorant cunt. Either way I imagine he's being paid handsomely for being so.

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

in case anyone needs reminding 

well done, he's 13

tbh and being objective, this is less about Owen and more about the mindset of a professional footballer - especially a striker. Doesn't matter who they're up against, their competitive instinct will naturally kick in. Southall's comments is more about keeping the lad's spirits positive but lets face it, a GK is expected to subject to a whole load of sledging,

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

tbh and being objective, this is less about Owen and more about the mindset of a professional footballer - especially a striker. Doesn't matter who they're up against, their competitive instinct will naturally kick in. Southall's comments is more about keeping the lad's spirits positive but lets face it, a GK is expected to subject to a whole load of sledging,

i can understand wanting to score, but celebrating like that for putting one past a 13 year old is the action of a prize cunt 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

Nah, I don’t buy that. It’s all about Owen being a horrible charmless little cunt. No way would the majority of pros act like that to a 13 year old. 

I refer you to the Toontastic Hall of Cunts thread which Owen won at a canter even though one of the other players is a kiddy fiddler who played for Sunderland.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

Nah, I don’t buy that. It’s all about Owen being a horrible charmless little cunt. No way would the majority of pros act like that to a 13 year old. 

I refer you to the Toontastic Hall of Cunts thread which Owen won at a canter even though one of the other players is a kiddy fiddler who played for Sunderland.

I did a 'soccer schools' event as a 10 year old when Gazza, Roeder and Goddard rocked up. Trust me, Gazza was far worse coming up against me than Owen is in that clip. Fucker was just taking the piss, it's inherent.

1 minute ago, Craig said:

I did a 'soccer schools' event as a 10 year old when Gazza, Roeder and Goddard rocked up. Trust me, Gazza was far worse coming up against me than Owen is in that clip. Fucker was just taking the piss, it's inherent.

Unless you have video footage of Budgy Burridge shouting “Well done, he’s ten” then I’m afraid I can’t accept any attempt to defend Owen.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

Unless you have video footage of Budgy Burridge shouting “Well done, he’s ten” then I’m afraid I can’t accept any attempt to defend Owen.

Before Burridge's time :lol: but no, no footage. I'm not trying to sanitise the level of cuntiness from Owen in any shape or form, but anyone who thinks pros in the main wouldn't behave in a similar way are frankly kidding themselves. 

43 minutes ago, Craig said:

Then at best he's an ignorant cunt. Either way I imagine he's being paid handsomely for being so.

Aye. He offers absolutely nothing as a pundit. I just don’t get it (apart from his name / career as a player). 

Saw a documentary with Gazza in ages ago and there was this bit where he was playing against kids and he was still trying to beat about 10 players and score and taking the kick about 100% seriously 😂

31 minutes ago, Alex said:

Saw a documentary with Gazza in ages ago and there was this bit where he was playing against kids and he was still trying to beat about 10 players and score and taking the kick about 100% seriously 😂

Yep - that was pretty much the size of it. One of the lads when were playing had enough and dived in. Gazza demanded it was a penalty .... and was deadly serious! :lol: 

The pros have this instinct that they cannot disengage. So Owen's 'cuntiness' in this video isn't unusual as far as I'm concerned. 

Dunno like, Gazza’s got the mentality of a kid. I think most pros would have a bit of common sense about them. I helped out once where John Barnes and Pedro were doing a session with some other coaches and a bunch of under privileged kids as part of football in the community. They didn’t go on like that. 

23 minutes ago, Alex said:

Dunno like, Gazza’s got the mentality of a kid. I think most pros would have a bit of common sense about them. I helped out once where John Barnes and Pedro were doing a session with some other coaches and a bunch of under privileged kids as part of football in the community. They didn’t go on like that. 

I take it the kids weren't black or Pedro would've laced them