The Andy Carroll Con

OTF

Tbh, the team Carroll played in under Hughton was better to watch than the current lot have been this season

That's because of the way Pardew has us setup though. We a squad now that's far more capable of playing decent looking football than the one Hughton did.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While watching his value depreciate the whole time.

Regardless of what we sold him for we'd be spending £10m on a player with both a questionable attitude and injury record best suited to a type of football that most of us don't want to see.

I'm not sure about this link between long ball football and Andy, and him being useless in any other position. He was alright with his feet when I remember him, and to be perfectly honest, I think having a towering number nine thump in crosses is the sort of football that I enjoyed watching at St James. Bobby and Keegan (although they both had better wingers imo).

Don't remember anyone saying "pfft, another header from a cross for shearer or ferdinand, this isn't the sort of football I want to see".

Edited by scoobos

I'm not sure about this link between long ball football and Andy, and him being useless in any other position. He was alright with his feet when I remember him, and to be perfectly honest, I think having a towering number nine thump in crosses is the sort of football that I enjoyed watching at St James. Bobby and Keegan (although they both had better wingers imo).

Don't remember anyone saying "pfft, another header from a cross for shearer or ferdinand, this isn't the sort of football I want to see".

i'm inclinced to agree. he isn't as one dimensional as people make out. yes, his big strength is in the air and using his physical presence to scare centre halves, but he can hold it up (who else in the squad can do that job as well?) and he's capable of belting one in from outside the box. i agree that he could work well alongside cisse too but not sure i'd want us to revert to 442.

i wouldn't mind Carroll on the bench as a plan B. not sure he'd come back for that though, or that we'd pay the wages needed for him to come back and replace shola as our super sub.

I've always preferred a side playing down the wings then crossing it to a big centre forward, perhaps with a smaller, faster foil player running off them. Just more enjoyable and it always seemed to work pretty well as Scoobos said. I'll always remember that season we had Shearer and Duncan Ferguson up front, they scared defences shitless, as well as the Shearer/Bellamy partnership, all relied on wing-play. Hopefully we'd be able to mix it up a bit as well so we could include some play down the middle.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always preferred a side playing down the wings then crossing it to a big centre forward, perhaps with a smaller, faster foil player running off them. Just more enjoyable and it always seemed to work pretty well as Scoobos said. I'll always remember that season we had Shearer and Duncan Ferguson up front, they scared defences shitless, as well as the Shearer/Bellamy partnership, all relied on wing-play. Hopefully we'd be able to mix it up a bit as well so we could include some play down the middle.

I agree. Big lad to head on or hold it up, then a nipper to beat the line and sprint for goal. Why I really liked having oba martins, his pace scared the shit out of back lines. Haven't really had that since until Campbell.

Like the money received for a new shirt in the club shop, a transfer fee received is just income to the club, it's not creative accounting, why don't some people get this ???

While 2 years on the club that had won everything in the last 40 years continue wasting money and Newcastle United are chasing good value . Liverpool haven't really looked back since buying Andy Carroll etc despite the amount of money. If yesterday is anything to go by they are on the way back again too.

• 7 months later...

Anybody else glad we didn't spend £15Million on him in the summer?

You're not the only one...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25374672

West Ham co-owner David Sullivan would not have spent a club-record £15m on Andy Carroll had he known the striker would be out so long through injury.

Carroll, 24, has not played for the Hammers since his move from Liverpool was made permanent in the summer.

He remains at least three weeks away from fitness as he recovers from a double fracture in his right foot.

"Had we known he would be out for this long, we would not have signed him," Sullivan told the BBC's Football Focus.

"We are not a rich enough club to deal with that. You know any player can get injured, but we can't buy a player knowing he is going to be out for half the season.

"When we signed him we were assured by the medical staff that the very, very latest he would be back was 1 September. That would have meant he would only miss two league games."

Carroll has returned to training at the club's Chadwell Heath training ground in the past week, and Sullivan remains hopeful that the England international will come good.

"If you ask me the same question at the end of the season, I hope I will be able give you a different answer and say 'Yes, it was the right decision to sign Andy Carroll'.

"He is a fantastic player and on his day he is unplayable. We love him and that is why we signed him. He is desperate to come back; he is sweating blood in training."

Edited by Monroe Transfer

In reality he still should have a long career ahead of him, but I don't think there was anyone here suggesting that he was worth 15M after his embarrassing stint at Liverpool.

I'd imagine at some stage there will be a lot of speculation about him coming back as I can't see his career going anywhere but sideways or downwards from where he is now (that said if he does end up back here at whatever age it would be a step up).

For someone who has done little in the game Carroll will be set for life. Imagine the signing on fees from the £35m & £17.5m transfers. Insane.

Of course that's with £100'000 in the bank every week since moving.

For someone who has done little in the game Carroll will be set for life. Imagine the signing on fees from the £35m & £17.5m transfers. Insane.

Of course that's with £100'000 in the bank every week since moving.

Ridiculous really.

I'd still love him to come home, he'll only ever be a top striker for us because he loves the club so much and goes the extra mile because of that imo.

Yeah he absolutely adores us, would never see him fucking off the first chance a bit of money was flashed at him...Oh right, yeah.

There may be an element of truth in that - I don't really know but he didn't regret it then and he wont be regretting it now. I've heard stories about him wanting to go because we wouldn't give him a new contract etc, etc.

It seemed a good deal for all parties involved apart from Liverpool.