Wimbledon

LeazesMag

I don't mind watching Tsonga actually :lol: Yes, he's got a huge serve but he moves around well for a huge bloke and has some pretty nifty touches aswell. I found Sampras to be unwatchable, personally - bored me senseless. Much preferred Agassi, who at least showed a bit of emotion when he played. I find Federer and Djokovic to be as robotic as the Roomba.

I don't mind watching Tsonga actually :lol: Yes, he's got a huge serve but he moves around well for a huge bloke and has some pretty nifty touches aswell. I found Sampras to be unwatchable, personally - bored me senseless. Much preferred Agassi, who at least showed a bit of emotion when he played. I find Federer and Djokovic to be as robotic as the Roomba.

Yup. Agassi had a fire and charisma which made his matches infinitely more watchable.

Agassi was great with his flowing mane of fake hair and load bearing 90s day glow bandana.

The fake hair thing man! What was that about and how did he keep in in place??

Wouldnt mind someone like Sampras right now, at least there'd be some change from this senseless baseline drudgery. Little chance though with the way the game is designed these days.

People will say Nadal was the one started this run around the baseline till you die approach but I loved watching him in his prime, still hope he can get back close to it. Ridiculous top spin on the forehand, extra bounce, inside out shots etc etc at least he had something different. Murray and Djokovic are horrendous to watch. Might as well put two of those ball throwing machines on either end and let them go at each other.

The bairn has just wangled himself an extra 45mins after his bedtime as he started asking about the tennis scoring system. I was particularly proud when he got the tie-break principle on first explanation :lol:

Wouldnt mind someone like Sampras right now, at least there'd be some change from this senseless baseline drudgery. Little chance though with the way the game is designed these days.

People will say Nadal was the one started this run around the baseline till you die approach but I loved watching him in his prime, still hope he can get back close to it. Ridiculous top spin on the forehand, extra bounce, inside out shots etc etc at least he had something different. Murray and Djokovic are horrendous to watch. Might as well put two of those ball throwing machines on either end and let them go at each other.

It's funny that because back in the 80s and 90s, the hard hitting serve and volley players were seen as boring and the baseliners like Agassi were seen as more exciting to watch. Funny how style goes in and out of fashion.

I personally like both styles. Murray is entertaining to watch, as henman was, because every match is an emotional roller coaster. You know he's always only five minutes away from an on court mental breakdown.

It's not about styles.

Racket and fitness technology has destroyed the sport.

Tennis used to be about instinct, intelligence and god given talent.

Edited by Park Life

It's funny that because back in the 80s and 90s, the hard hitting serve and volley players were seen as boring and the baseliners like Agassi were seen as more exciting to watch. Funny how style goes in and out of fashion.

I personally like both styles. Murray is entertaining to watch, as henman was, because every match is an emotional roller coaster. You know he's always only five minutes away from an on court mental breakdown.

Might be for you lot, the emotional roller coaster part. Its not just about being at the baseline, its that they rely on fitness and keeping the ball in play rather than 'style' or 'talent'. Seems silly saying those two dont have 'talent' but you know what I mean, its in comparative terms. They're ridiculously good athletes no doubt. Thats why I mentioned Nadal, same baseline defend philosophy on the whole but does have that X factor that set him apart from everyone else.

Agree about Henman though, quite entertaining watching the crowd drag him to the semis each year.

Edited by aimaad22

I reckon as the game is now dominated by baseliners, people think nostalgically about the days of the chip and charger. Watching someone like ivanisovic or Sampras was pretty dull in reality. You see far more exciting rallies watching Murray or Djokovic. In those days, the game was dominated by powerful servers.

Macenroe was still the greatest I've ever seen when in his prime. His game had everything and he dominated in the wooden racket era. The fact he was totally bonkers added to his appeal.

Tsonga seems like a much nicer lad than his cousin.

Tsonga seems like a much nicer lad than his cousin.

A slightly more imposing figure too :D

Liam Brodie (GBR) about to start his 2nd round match soon if any of you working peeps want something to listen to.

Still find it hard to believe it's 30 years since Becker won for the first time as an unseeded 17 year old. His rivalry with Edberg was class.

Still find it hard to believe it's 30 years since Becker won for the first time as an unseeded 17 year old. His rivalry with Edberg was class.

becker 85 was my first proper memory of wimbledon. he was class, diving around everywhere.