Why is the word 'cunt' so offensive?

Dr Gloom

I think if you go to Scotland and asked this question it wouldn't be a question. I remember reading in one of Irvine Welsh's books, some old timer died and his missus went "he wis a wee awwd cunt but a loved um ken". That sums it up, it's just another word with a hundred meanings, one of the most creative words in our vocabulary. Francis Begbie's usage of it, is how it should be used imo.

"Cunt" is just what Scottish people say when they can't think of another word and need to keep their sentence going. "Aye, we're going down the, erm...cunting paper shop"

Aye like friends can say "ya daaaaaaaaaaft cunt :o " and it's not seen as offensive. It's how you it too though like someone could annoy and you could say "who the fuckin ye taakin tee ya daft cunt???" and it has a far more aggressive meaning. It's tone, but also as you say also in Scotland especially it has so many meanings. Like take Begbie when he's in the pub on about on about Spud, "ah wis eh cunt the tried tae get um off it" was he shite but that's irrelevant, he's referring to himself as a cunt, cunt meaning person. Or someone could use the word cunt as an entity like "ma fuckin mortor conked oot so it hus, am sick of eh cunt". You know the crack anyway.

I know what you are saying, but it does come down to being a bit retarded too, in the fact that if you have to use the word cunt, or any swear word just to keep a sentance going, then you must be pretty thick.

For instance:

"ma fuckin mortor conked oot so it hus, am sick of eh cunt"

Is pretty moronic, especially when the following is hardly shakespeare but would suffice:

"My car's broken down and i'm sick to the back teeth"

I know your example was just to show how it could be used, but I'm very much of the opinion that if you have to resort to using it to describe something, and that you are unable to contruct a sentance without swearing, then you are a bit of a mong.

*When I say "you" i'm not referring to you, i'm referring to "you" in a wider context btw.

I must be a bit of a mong then. To be fair I swear when it's appropriate and some doilum from Bishop Auckland doesn't have the right to class someone as a "mong" because that way of speaking doesn't fit in with their idealistic methods of communication.

"Sick to the back teeth"?!?!?!? I'm from the West End of Newcastle not fucking Windsor.

I bet you're the type of kid who says "bugger" and feels a bit uncouth saying it.

Yeah I agree you must be.

I dont have a problem with people swearing when its appropriate, but the examples you gave would be from someone with a seriously low IQ and a failure to grasp even the most basic concepts of the English language.

"sick to the back teeth, pissed off, this car is doing my fucking head in" what ever, any of them are fine, and you dont have to be from Windsor to speak with some sort of Intelligence btw.

I can't stand people who walk around and every other word is fuck or cunt though... even when they are going in to a professional place like a bank or shop and talking to the staff... utter mongs if you ask me.

People who have a poor comprehension of the English language resort to articulating with swear words because they are unable to grasp the basic concepts of conversation i.e:

"Aye like me fuckin car's proper fuckin knackered again, am proper fuckin sick of the cunt"

Its hardly the words of a properly educated person, and the reason why they include so many swear words is beacuse they are unable to convey their feeling about the situation in a coherant and proper manner. Being from x part of any city doesn't prevent someone from speaking with a certain degree of correctness, and hiding behind where you are from is just using that as an excuse to speak like a retard (if you used swear words in the context i've specified... and again i'm using the word "you" in a wider context than just you specifically).

Also being from Bishop Auckland or any other place isn't a correct way to judge why a person speaks correctly (to an extent as even I dont speak the Queen's English by a long stretch), as there are plenty of people in Bish or other places that speak like utter mongs too.

And I'm not from Bishop Auckland anyway so your point is redundant.

I agree entirely. I was stood in a post office queue the other day with some teenage girls in front. Their foul language used every other word just made them sound thick and cheap.

Edited by Toonraider

What a fanny.

That's a great comeback, but bravo for not using any swear words in your reply :o

I'd say it was a mild one depending on the generation - when my niece and nephew were kids (less than 10) they used to semi-innocently wind my Mam up by talking about "willies and fannies" (not in a sexual way of course) and someone from her generation did think of those words as impolite.

What a fanny.

That's a great comeback, but bravo for not using any swear words in your reply :o

I'd say it was a mild one depending on the generation - when my niece and nephew were kids (less than 10) they used to semi-innocently wind my Mam up by talking about "willies and fannies" (not in a sexual way of course) and someone from her generation did think of those words as impolite.

Yeah that's definately true, as the generations pass then there is less offense taken to certain words.

In Holland they use the word "cancer" as a pretty bad insult... maybe we'll move on from body parts to illnesses too once we run out of swear words?

Growing up in Walker definetly softens the blow of hearing 'cunt'. No different to any other swear word to me.

Agreed, there's not a word in the world that could get my back up. I'd rather be called a cunt by someone than a mug.

Growing up in Walker definetly softens the blow of hearing 'cunt'. No different to any other swear word to me.

Agreed, there's not a word in the world that could get my back up. I'd rather be called a cunt by someone than a mug.

Same here, or a doilum.

Up until the 18th century it used to be a lot more acceptable. Almost every city and town in England would have a street named 'Gropecunt Lane' which was where Prostitutes would ply their trade (Newcastle's Gropecunt Lane is now known as Pink Lane). If you go back to before the 16th century some of the prostitutes themselves would be known by surnames like Smallcunt or Widecunt etc. So I'm not sure why its no longer acceptable, but I would suggest its related to Prostitution which became more morally unacceptable by the turn of the 19th century.

Indeed :)

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...mp;#entry739593

I've always presumed that, along with 'twat', it generated more of an intake of air than the likes of 'prick' or 'cock' because both are considered derogatory terms for female genitalia.

I think it's fair to suggest that they majority of offence to it is experience by women and I think gentlemanly respect for the opposite sex played a role (certainly in past generations).

I love the 'black people say nigger all the time' argument. Apparently rappers and kids from rough urban backgrounds represent all black people.

Africa: population 1,000,010,000. I wonder if they go round calling each other nigger all the time?

I hate people who say 'the N word', or 'the C word'. I saw David Baddiel doing a campaign trying to stop people chanting 'Yid' at football games. He had an interview on BBC breakfast about it where he constantly referred to it as 'the Y word' and said he'd rather it were never uttered in any context. That is childish in my opinion and stifles discourse. This american standup called Louis CK did a bit on 'the N word':

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

I've never really thought that mug was offensive i'd rather be called a mug than a cunt tbh.

Discussed this thread in the pub tonight, more to do with the pink lane thing than anything else, and surprisingly 3 of the women around the table (all 30 or under) had no problem with the word and even described it as one of their favourite swear words.

An age thing it would seem.

I like that it's offensive, leaves me with something in my arsenal. People using that word as a synonym for "person" is just retarded imo