Brighton vs Newcastle (FA CUP)

Toon_Man

Terrible result, but to be fair Brighton aren't that bad and they'll have raised their game given they're playing against a team from a higher division.

Hardly a "giant-killing". They're a good side who ran Liverpool very close earlier in the season and beat Sunderland too.

They looked shite to me and scored a dodgy goal with one of their rare forays into our half.

Aye, they were completely there for the taking and we weren't up for it. And yet again, we're out of another cup because of it.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree this 4-3-3 experiment hasn't worked at all it could work with Cisse-Ba-Ben Arfa but it doesn't work at all with Best-Shola-Ben Arfa, Shola has proven numerous times he can't lead the line by himself and needs a strike partner close by for knockdowns etc.

At least it'll dampen down the Pards is god nonsense for a bit.

Tactically all over them, just couldnt find that killer ball in the final third. Created enough to win it easily and we nullified them for most of the game. Mistakes by 3 of our players in a row cost us.

He didnt show enough ambition at half time in retrospect but i was happy with a draw from the start so wasnt worried about it at the time either, as someone said though he should have changed it earlier as they were piss poor. We were unlucky today but i guess with all your chat about creating your own luck, you put that down to Pardew.

He's done an amazing job overall getting us where we are with the squad he has, and if you had ever managed anything other than getting out of bed by lunchtime you might recognise that. ;):lol:

The only reason I can see Pardew persisting with the 4-3-3 is that he see's it as our long term formation when Ba and Cisse are with us, however tonight he should have dropped back to 4-4-2 at half time when it clearly wasn't working.

The frustrating thing is that I could understand it if Brighton raised their game but they were worse than us, we controlled the tempo and had the majority of chances but the formation left Shola completely isolated, I don't think either him or Best had a bad game but they were just too far away from each other so everything they did was solo effort rather than team play.

Ben Arfa was a waste of space apart from one quality pass and Jonas wasn't in the game at all in the second half, personally I thought we looked pretty solid with Guthrie and Cabaye sat in front of the back 4 and it was a fluke own goal that gifted them it.

The worst thing was I never felt we could get back in the game after they took the lead.

how can anyone have a pop at the ref who missed cabaye kicking the face off an opponent

Bah, Cabaye was just trying to get some balance to get up and back in on the attack.

A bitterly disappointing result but what would you expect?

The tactical set-up was very poor and Pardew most take some of the blame for that, but I'm not that arsed. Even with Man United and City out we weren't gonna win it. Let's try and get Europa League Qualification now.

Words never fail me.

That was fucking disgraceful to put it mildly.

Stroller was his usual best, his best being useless as usual.

BenArfa was totally disappointing, he did nothing of any description.

Jonas was disappointedly quiet and disappointing.

Best was trying but not hard enough, he should have sank that header early on.

Cabaye & Guthrie put in decent shifts but not decent enough to control the game.

Perch did as well as you could expect him to do, which isn't a whole lot.

Willo is lost without Colo.

Wilson, (ok Simpson) is not high on my list of good right full-backs.

Santoni (sounds more woppish with an 'i') wasnn't as effective as he has been.

And then comes Pardoo, triple change when it's near the end, we're one behind, and neither one of them is a forward likely to score. FFS.

Tactically all over them, just couldnt find that killer ball in the final third. Created enough to win it easily and we nullified them for most of the game. Mistakes by 3 of our players in a row cost us.

He didnt show enough ambition at half time in retrospect but i was happy with a draw from the start so wasnt worried about it at the time either, as someone said though he should have changed it earlier as they were piss poor. We were unlucky today but i guess with all your chat about creating your own luck, you put that down to Pardew.

He's done an amazing job overall getting us where we are with the squad he has, and if you had ever managed anything other than getting out of bed by lunchtime you might recognise that. ;):lol:

r

Bit personal the last sentence Adam. ???

I can get up late sometimes as you know I run my own business.

We've had some good games under Pards and I do stick up for him sometimes but we've also got through a lot of games just with Ba's goals. Think you can admit that.

Words never fail me.

Cabaye & Guthrie put in decent shifts but not decent enough to control the game.

And then comes Pardoo, triple change when it's near the end, we're one behind, and neither one of them is a forward likely to score. FFS.

Hysterical much?

We weren't that bad, we just weren't clinical enough. Agreed about the subs though, utterly bemusing. What exactly is Ryan Taylor going to add?

Words never fail me.

Think they all had a bad game tbf...Just weren't at the races for whatever reason. The first 11 looks shaky and lacks drive without Tiote and Ba. But we know that.

how can anyone have a pop at the ref who missed cabaye kicking the face off an opponent

So, according to your logic, we shouldn't complain about bad officiating because bad officiating worked to our benefit too?

jus saying its swings and roundabouts. Cabaye shoulda won a pen, but he shouldn't have been on the pitch.

Edited by Happy Face

Thing is for me when we lose under Pardew it tends to be massively depressing. It's cos of the way we're set up. Brighton were absolutely shambolic and couldnt pass the ball to save their lives so we should have stuffed them, but Pardew always sets us up first and foremost to not lose. For me his only thought tonight was to make sure a cup tie never broke out because that could only be to Brighton's advantage. That plan absolutely worked as well as it was the most boring pile of shite going (and I accept that often has to be the case during the early stages of games fwiw so I have no qualms about it) with the focus then being on trying to pick up a goal as the opponent runs out of ideas/steam and at a stage of the game when its harder for them to do anything about it . Only we didn't do that tonight of course or look like doing it. And then of course Brighton go and score a shite goal that was just entirely a matter of luck.

In the past under other managers when we've lost playing gung-ho it's been more gut wrenching. We've gone to places where we've had a palpably better team (like tonight), but then because we've just decided to go out and try and play football as the better team, we've shit ourselves when it's become a cup tie and we've lost the competitive battle. We'd score some great flowing goals and then concede when the opponent just punted it up the pitch to us and we bricked it at centre half and passed it back to their forwards under the pressure. It always felt like we had to move heaven and earth for a goal and then we'd make the opponent do nowhere near as much for their's.

The Liverpool away as an example Pardew took an absolute slating. For me though it was the perfect away performance for about 70 minutes because we were still in it going into the final phase. Because we'd never had a go at them in any massive way however, when we got beat it felt depressing because you come away feeling like we'd never expressed ourselves. The reality is though, 99/100 if we had expressed ourselves we'd probably have been out of the game after 10 minutes, and that's absolutely what Pardew won't tolerate as a manager. As a club we're more capable than most of losing a game before it's started and for me that's what he's focussed on getting away from. This is a bi-product of it though.