Brighton vs Newcastle (FA CUP)

Toon_Man

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That game could go on for hours, we were never going to score. Didn't help that the crossing from our wide players was absolutely shocking.

Abso-exac-olute-ly, the crossing was disgraceful. Shola actually looked like he wanted to win headers today, and by and large was winning the majority of them against their centre halfs. If we'd managed some better balls into the box i could have seen him notching, however crossing was poor, and Best should hang his head for some of the chances missed, especially the one Shola headed back across the him. For all Pardew is getting a slating, if one player had taken one chance i don;t think we'd have been troubled.

Disappointing. That formation doesn't work with Shola up top. Needs someone who is going to move, come deep, make runs, link play. Shola does none of that. Ben Arfa had his worst game for us, aboslutely nothing would stick for him.

At least we can take solice that Senegal are out of the ACN and Ba and Cisse will be back hopefully for Blackburn.

However, Cabaye will get suspended for the flailing leg on the Brighton fullback. Not good.

Thought it was a dreadful match however I put it mainly down to missing four or five quality players who are currently out.

The day Ameobi retires will be a happy day for me.

Someone also seems to have stolen Ben Arfas magig. Thought he looked poor. Also think Jonas doesn't work in the middle.

Shane however looked great when he came on ;)

Can't wait to have the proper team back and hope Cabaye won't be suspended for too long.

Thought it was a dreadful match however I put it mainly down to missing four or five quality players who are currently out.

Someone also seems to have stolen Ben Arfas magig. Thought he looked poor. Also think Jonas doesn't work in the middle.

Can't wait to have the proper team back and hope Cabaye won't be suspended for too long.

Brighton were the ideal team to play while we were without our top performers. Woeful team who insisted on trying to play football when they blatantly couldn't, the absolute dream opponent as far as cup ties against lower opposition go. An absolute gift of a tie that we got wrong.

Can't say anything other than that it was completely and utterly gutting stuff. Would we have been allocated the same number as Brighton? Cos a trip to Anfield would have been the same old shite no doubt. Let's try and look on the bright side, we'll be a completely different team with the Dembas and Tiote back and we might sneak ahead of some of the teams who are still competing on different fronts!

Ameobi is not fit enough to start so many games consecutively. He just tires completely by the end. How we thought he could lead the line on his own after the disastrous second half last week I have no idea. It would be amiss not to mention how shite Brighton are, how they cheated throughout from management down and how Lee Probert was fucking awful though.

Brighton were the ideal team to play while we were without our top performers. Woeful team who insisted on trying to play football when they blatantly couldn't, the absolute dream opponent as far as cup ties against lower opposition go. An absolute gift of a tie that we got wrong.

Aye, that's why it was so fucking depressing tbh. We went out with a whimper. We only showed any real urgency in about the last 10 mins, by which point it was far too late to try and up the tempo. If we'd approached the game like that from the off I think we'd probably have won by a couple of goals. And, like you say, it's not as though they were a big physical 'route one' side that we struggled to cope with in that regard. I also blame Pardew for that daft formation. The same personnel would've been more effective in a conventional 4-4-2 imo. Shola as the loan target man. Jesus wept. Especially when Best is a better target man and he was playing on the wing.

Edited by alex

The problem is that Pardew thought that the formation worked so well against QPR (sarcasm) that he'd hit upon the answer to everything.

Hopefully he's now realised it's shit.

We battered them all game like. If we'd had two decent quality strikers who were above League 2 standard then we would have been sitting pretty in the next round of the cup.

Bafra was wank, not doing his first team chances much good if he performs like that again - his first touch had left him in that game.

Absolute disaster of a ref; blatant hand ball yet nothing given. Sickening result tbh, we should've put them away.

Oh and Simpson was utterly dreadful, we need to start playing Santon at RB and bring in a natural LB.

We didn't batter them like, Brock. A draw would've been fair enough but you could see it coming, i.e. if they got a goal we were fucked. If they'd scored with about 35 mins to go I doubt we'd have managed an equaliser.

As for Simpson, people will point out he couldn't have made a challenge for the goal as he was already on a yellow, but what the fuck was he doing committing himself that far up the pitch, if he wasn't 100% certain he was going to win the ball? Especially seeing as he's got plenty pace. Cabaye then made the effort to get back well only to stand off the player and shepherd him into the box. Fucking school boy stuff.

Edited by alex

They barely threatened our goal! Second half was all us until we let them score a jammy winner.

The moment he got the yellow (which never was a yellow I may add) he became even more of a liability than usual. Just sauntering along and letting people breeze past lest he get booked again. Sorry excuse of a display.

Hopefully the lads will realise they let themselves down - it should have been an easy win but they just didn't take it seriously enough.

Hey ho, let's hope we don't get stuffed by Blackburn - real yoyo results with them so far this season.

Monday's newspaper match reports include comments from Albion's Adam El-Abd, who was reportedly told by match referee Lee Probert that he intended to review video footage of his clash with Yohan Cabaye

We barely threatened their goal though.

Can't recall us having a shot at goal in the second half. I was right behind it too.

Been to QPR and Brighton this season. Wank.

Can't recall us having a shot at goal in the second half. I was right behind it too.

Jonah tbh.

Oh, so it's your fault?