mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

35 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

So, this may be common knowledge for all I know - I wasn't aware of it but there's plenty of people on here more knowledgeable on the region than me - I was told earlier today by my old man that the animosity between Sunderland and Newcastle (or at least the overenthusiasm for it on wearside) stems back to the 1700s and the English civil war.

Apparently Newcastle was a royalist city, and Sunderland threw in with Cromwell and, by association, the Scots. When the Royal family was restored or however that went, Newcastle was rewarded for its loyalty by being given mining contracts that were otherwise with Sunderland. A grudge that the Sunderland residents apparently have generationally hung on to without necessarily being aware of it.

And from that point they've been economically behind us. It's interesting because the English civil war was a great waste of everyone's time that Sunderland seems to have wholeheartedly embraced following a populist uprising, which they 'won' and then disproportionately suffered for.. which, idk, sounds kinda familiar to some other great event that perhaps occurred more recently...?

I know a few who worked in the shipyards and they fucking loathed them more than just football fans. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

So, this may be common knowledge for all I know - I wasn't aware of it but there's plenty of people on here more knowledgeable on the region than me - I was told earlier today by my old man that the animosity between Sunderland and Newcastle (or at least the overenthusiasm for it on wearside) stems back to the 1700s and the English civil war.

Apparently Newcastle was a royalist city, and Sunderland threw in with Cromwell and, by association, the Scots. When the Royal family was restored or however that went, Newcastle was rewarded for its loyalty by being given mining contracts that were otherwise with Sunderland. A grudge that the Sunderland residents apparently have generationally hung on to without necessarily being aware of it.

And from that point they've been economically behind us. It's interesting because the English civil war was a great waste of everyone's time that Sunderland seems to have wholeheartedly embraced following a populist uprising, which they 'won' and then disproportionately suffered for.. which, idk, sounds kinda familiar to some other great event that perhaps occurred more recently...?

Honestly, I've heard all this before and personally think its bollocks. Newcastle is an ancient dwelling going back to the Romans and was one of the biggest and most important  mediaeval cities. Sunderland is just a large industrial town which was more like a village during Cromwell's time. Tgere may have been friction between Newcastle and Durham but if there was it doesn't exiat now does it? This is juat fanciful mackem invented bollocks to give them some excuse to keep this ridiculous grudge. File under Magedia, shady Tyneside cabal, etc. 

Might add, i cant think of a single example where 2 largish areas of population don't compete with each other. Liverpool Manchester. Cardiff Swansea. Norwich Ipswich. Nottingham Derby. Burnley Blackburn. Portsmouth Southampton.  You get the gist. Nowt to do with the civil war. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

I was aware but yes, totally nailed. The animosity between the two places is deep rooted.

I don’t blame them for being little bitter bastards tbh. Newcastle is basically the better looking, cooler, interesting, and richer brother. For years we beat them and the rivalry wasn’t as pervasive as it become recently, then when they started to win and our team got involved in the fights for relegation with them it got nastier and more bitter. 

Obviously I will never try to pretend I’m not biased, but Sunderland genuinely is a fucking shithole. Every bit of it is worse than Newcastle, they’ll deny it, or do their usual trying to pretend certain things actually are Sunderland to make themselves feel better, but it’s fucking true. The Bridges is their Northumberland Street/Eldon Square and it’s honestly struggling to be on the same level as North Shields high street, it’s pathetic, genuinely fucking embarrassing for a ‘city’ centre shopping district. The architecture is concrete fucking crap, the entire place, whereas parts of Newcastle are fucking stunning. The comparison between football clubs doesn’t even need to be discussed anymore, we are on different planets now. I think Sunderland Uni is among the worst in the UK, Newcastle Uni on the other hand consistently ranks high especially for medical school iirc. 

Newcastle is known elsewhere, maybe through the club, maybe through the beer, or people like Sting. They used to be called plastic Geordie’s iirc as the standard tag on when people didn’t know where Sunderland was would be “…near Newcastle, aye geordie that’s right”. Sunderland is just fucking irrelevant tbh, that’s why they now try to claw places like Durham as part of Sunderland. 

So aye, I understand the bitterness from them tbh - that season we were in the championship and they were in the PL was the fucking peak for them, you could tell by the way they clung on to that no matter how insane it was “we might be bottom marra but that’s one playuce above ya FTM” even after 37 games in the PL and our guaranteed auto promotion status, it’s been a break neck reality check since.

I would say that now their club is about on par with the rest of that fucking tip they call home. At some point they’ll be looking over the mounds of shit filled carrier bags, fake historical landmarks, dog todd, and cans of special brew at the bright lights of an actual city, with history, significance, and culture, they’ll turn to their pet Alsatian called Callum while it’s love making with a stray Staffordshire bull terrier and they’ll say “ye knarrr what Callum? Theyssse says it’s Newcastle airport buyyt reyylee we knars it’s Pontelands. FTM” before passing out on their mattress that’s on the floor. “On the rivvvahhhh where they used to make the boooooattsss…” 

• Haha 8

Oh aye, to crank up the paranoia on their eyesore of a forum I’ve signed up to it. In the words of perhaps the most famous mackem of all time “I see you are still having no luck catching me”

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Howay said:

I don’t blame them for being little bitter bastards tbh. Newcastle is basically the better looking, cooler, interesting, and richer brother. For years we beat them and the rivalry wasn’t as pervasive as it become recently, then when they started to win and our team got involved in the fights for relegation with them it got nastier and more bitter. 

Obviously I will never try to pretend I’m not biased, but Sunderland genuinely is a fucking shithole. Every bit of it is worse than Newcastle, they’ll deny it, or do their usual trying to pretend certain things actually are Sunderland to make themselves feel better, but it’s fucking true. The Bridges is their Northumberland Street/Eldon Square and it’s honestly struggling to be on the same level as North Shields high street, it’s pathetic, genuinely fucking embarrassing for a ‘city’ centre shopping district. The architecture is concrete fucking crap, the entire place, whereas parts of Newcastle are fucking stunning. The comparison between football clubs doesn’t even need to be discussed anymore, we are on different planets now. I think Sunderland Uni is among the worst in the UK, Newcastle Uni on the other hand consistently ranks high especially for medical school iirc. 

Newcastle is known elsewhere, maybe through the club, maybe through the beer, or people like Sting. They used to be called plastic Geordie’s iirc as the standard tag on when people didn’t know where Sunderland was would be “…near Newcastle, aye geordie that’s right”. Sunderland is just fucking irrelevant tbh, that’s why they now try to claw places like Durham as part of Sunderland. 

So aye, I understand the bitterness from them tbh - that season we were in the championship and they were in the PL was the fucking peak for them, you could tell by the way they clung on to that no matter how insane it was “we might be bottom marra but that’s one playuce above ya FTM” even after 37 games in the PL and our guaranteed auto promotion status, it’s been a break neck reality check since.

I would say that now their club is about on par with the rest of that fucking tip they call home. At some point they’ll be looking over the mounds of shit filled carrier bags, fake historical landmarks, dog todd, and cans of special brew at the bright lights of an actual city, with history, significance, and culture, they’ll turn to their pet Alsatian called Callum while it’s love making with a stray Staffordshire bull terrier and they’ll say “ye knarrr what Callum? Theyssse says it’s Newcastle airport buyyt reyylee we knars it’s Pontelands. FTM” before passing out on their mattress that’s on the floor. “On the rivvvahhhh where they used to make the boooooattsss…” 

Honestly, I was considering making an argument for some of their beaches (they're genuinely nice!) but I wouldn't want to impinge on the majesty of this post :D

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Honestly, I was considering making an argument for some of their beaches (they're genuinely nice!) but I wouldn't want to impinge on the majesty of this post :D

:lol: I suppose Callum has to give his hareem of stray staffy’s something to look at, or they’ll fuck off somewhere nicer like Newton Aycliffe, or Bishop. 

• Haha 2

couple of years ago I was commuting quite regularly up to the hitachi train servicing depot at doncaster. it became a bit of a thing for me and the bloke I worked with to stop at tibshelf services and grab a macdonalds breakfast. (I know, they're shit)

7,30am there's a big fat mackem twat in the queue with his sunderland top on and a pair of cargo shorts held up underneath his massive gut by a builders belt and pouch thing, face red as beetroot and sweating like a pig.

his entire calf from knee to ankle was covered in huge black letters with FTM.

the stupid, tragic cunt had devoted about 10 maybe 15% of his skin to showing the world how much he hated us.

never crossed my mind to get a smb tattoo  not even a little one!   :lol:

• Haha 7

7 hours ago, Renton said:

Honestly, I've heard all this before and personally think its bollocks. Newcastle is an ancient dwelling going back to the Romans and was one of the biggest and most important  mediaeval cities. Sunderland is just a large industrial town which was more like a village during Cromwell's time. Tgere may have been friction between Newcastle and Durham but if there was it doesn't exiat now does it? This is juat fanciful mackem invented bollocks to give them some excuse to keep this ridiculous grudge. File under Magedia, shady Tyneside cabal, etc. 

This, looked at a few 17th century maps and while Durham features prominently,  as it should historically, struggling to find Sunderland tbh. Until the creation of the abortion of Tyne and Wear (sullying the good name of the Tyne) Sunlun was simply a town in County Durham

This whole civil war thing is just another Mackem construct in search of relevance.

059A57EB-B536-40C0-9130-2731876373C1.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NJS said:

Don't forget the irony of their council investing in the airport which they think means they should get to say where it is.... 

They maybe should've thought twice before investing in this at the airport but y'knaa, they had to show their PL trophy off the year we were in (and won), the championship.....

safcmain.jpg

• Haha 3

@Howaynow that you've got an account on RTG, could you just ask for an update on the whereabouts of the NE Top Dogs trophy, please? I just haven't heard it mentioned for a while, and wondered if it's still being awarded each season. It's something they used to track very closely. 

• Haha 4

....and don't forget to remind them that we now live in a world where Newcastle United are the richest club on the planet and Gateshead gets further in the FA Cup than Sunderland.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

This, looked at a few 17th century maps and while Durham features prominently,  as it should historically, struggling to find Sunderland tbh. Until the creation of the abortion of Tyne and Wear (sullying the good name of the Tyne) Sunlun was simply a town in County Durham

This whole civil war thing is just another Mackem construct in search of relevance.

From the wiki page for sunderland;

” In 1644 the North was captured by parliament.[31] The villages that later become Sunderland, were taken in March 1644.“

So, in the Civil War, it didn’t exist :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

46 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

From the wiki page for sunderland;

” In 1644 the North was captured by parliament.[31] The villages that later become Sunderland, were taken in March 1644.“

So, in the Civil War, it didn’t exist :lol:

In 1634 the Bishop granted them permission to hold a market and an annual fair whooo hooo !!!!

It is also an accepted scientific and historical fact that those 3 villages had an above average population of idiots

Edited by Toonpack
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

In 1634 the Bishop granted them permission to hold a market and an annual fair whooo hooo !!!!

“ Odds bodkins! What hath thee for trade, old crone?”

” Two daughter/sisters and a few staffy pups”

” Pfffsst, away, devils porridge crone - I’ll hie to the great city of Newcassel for my victuals and lodging, there be filthy maidens there by the shitload”. 

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

couple of years ago I was commuting quite regularly up to the hitachi train servicing depot at doncaster. it became a bit of a thing for me and the bloke I worked with to stop at tibshelf services and grab a macdonalds breakfast. (I know, they're shit)

7,30am there's a big fat mackem twat in the queue with his sunderland top on and a pair of cargo shorts held up underneath his massive gut by a builders belt and pouch thing, face red as beetroot and sweating like a pig.

his entire calf from knee to ankle was covered in huge black letters with FTM.

the stupid, tragic cunt had devoted about 10 maybe 15% of his skin to showing the world how much he hated us.

never crossed my mind to get a smb tattoo  not even a little one!   :lol:

The FTM and SMB thing is quite telling I think. "Fuck the Mags", a slogan seething with anger and bitterness. "Sad mackem bastards", an honest appraisal of their outlook tinged with pity. I've never seen anyone with an SMB tattoo either. 

• Haha 5

23 hours ago, Alex said:

Even Penshaw Monument, man. The pride they take in that :lol: It’s a not particularly well constructed Victorian folly. Unlike the ancient Greek temple it apes, it doesn’t even have a roof. In architectural terms, they don’t have a lot else, hence roping in Durham Cathedral. When they redesigned their club badge, which definitely wasn’t done to make it look a bit like ours, they must’ve been scratching their heads as to what to include 

When I met her, Mrs Rents thought Penshaw monument was a bona fide Roman temple. Should have seen how excited she was when I took her to Oban. 

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Aye I recently read something else which categorically stated the Civil War thing was absolute twaddle. The thing is, with stuff like that anyway, it would just be whatever army happened to control / occupy somewhere. It’s not like there’s a referendum where the residents get to decide which side they support. 
Also, one of my favourite things in their endless quest for relevance was the Athletic Bilbao connection with the kits. Which turned out to be total bollocks as it was actually Southampton. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Odds bodkins! What hath thee for trade, old crone?”

” Two daughter/sisters and a few staffy pups”

” Pfffsst, away, devils porridge crone - I’ll hie to the great city of Newcassel for my victuals and lodging, there be filthy maidens there by the shitload”. 

Timothy Claypole clearly a MLF.

Remember children's TV series Rentaghost? It's 30 years since the end of  Birmingham show - Birmingham Live

• Haha 4

I keep going back to their 6inarow shit. Didn't we win something like 5 in a row, and it barely registered? Because, it wasn't a season defining achievement. For them it makes up for everything else going on at their club.

Finished 17th? doesn't matter we beat the Mags 6 in a row.

Got relegated? doesn't matter we beat the Mags 6 in a row.

Got relegated again? doesn't matter we beat the Mags 6 in a row.

Choked at the play offs? doesn't matter we beat the Mags 6 in a row.

Lowest finish in the club's history? doesn't matter we beat the Mags 6 in a row.

Newcastle been taken over to become the richest club on the planet? doesn't matter we beat the Mags 6 in a row.

It's fucking weird.

• Like 4

The big thing they make about the length of time since we’ve beaten them. Nothing to do with them being in a lower division for years 

• Like 2