mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

I always think there's another really significant distinction between the way we talk about them and the way they talk about us though - mostly their threads are discussing NUFC itself, so the club, its results, etc. Their focus and obsession is Newcastle. This thread is discussing their obsession with us, not so much Sunderland itself. Most of their games don't even get a mention on here. We don't talk about their players unless they turn out to be paedos, and only talk about the club directly if its doing something hilarious.

If you took out all the discussion in this thread about their obsession with us, I doubt it beats 200 pages in full, even over however many years. None of their threads are focused on what we think about them, it's all directed fully at the club itself.

That is the purity of their devotion to NUFC. This thread is schadenfraude, their's is a jealous love letter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

Only talk about the club directly if its doing something hilarious.

Well tbf, that is quite a lot, they manage to fuck up on a weekly basis and have zero self awareness.My favourite was after taunting us with "Enjoy Burton", the very next year them getting relegated by Burton with the crucial goal goal scored by Darren Bent. Filmed for posterity by a Netflix documentary supposed to be about their promotion. I mean, you couldn't make that shit up, pure kismet. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

Some pretty decent company!

:lol:

I think ed sheeran's shit, but I'd have still been inclined to have left his name in there in preference to bob dylan, who's fucking abysmal.

on a positive note though.....

absolutely delighted you omitted queen altogether!

• Haha 3

Queen played SJP  in the mid 80s. Wouldn’t say I was a massive fan (or MLF) but appreciate they were a class act. Edit: beat me to it, Craig 

Edited by Alex

3 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

I'd rather buy a season ticket for sunderland. fucking appalling band.

radio ga ga goo goo, is probably the worst record ever made.

I wasn't commenting on them as an act, but you can't deny it wasn't a big name to draw at the time. What did Roker Park have? 

Edited by Craig

21 minutes ago, Tom said:

Some pretty decent company!

He cites Bruce Springsteen as a major influence doesn't he? Now that'd be some support act 

1 minute ago, Alex said:

The Spice Girls is a good name for the women of Sunderland 👍🏻

Bob Mortimer described them as "walking about like the aliens from district 9"

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

The Spice Girls is a good name for the women of Sunderland 👍🏻

They'll REALLY struggle to find a Posh Spice (or a sporty for that matter, ugly lookalikes aplenty, but sporty .............nah)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Toonpack said:

They'll REALLY struggle to find a Posh Spice (or a sporty for that matter, ugly lookalikes aplenty, but sporty .............nah)

They’re all on it though 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Craig said:

I wasn't commenting on them as an act, but you can't deny it wasn't a big name to draw at the time. What did Roker Park have? 

Have you forgotten about David Bowie playing Roker Park? 'GOOD EVENING, NEWCASTLE!'

• Haha 5