mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

2 hours ago, Renton said:

So STID3 is out. Might watch it but obviously for NUFC fans it will not be as funny as the previous 2. I suspect that will be true for the neutral too.

The SMB have several threads on it of course. THis one is funny.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/netflix-exposure.1627292/

It's quite insane. To summarise, it criticises the club for not capitalising on merchandise from the first two series, which made Sunderland a massive club on all SIX continents apparently. Apparently, accorsing to half a dozen on the thread, we're jealous as fuck of them because they're on Netflix. And my favourite, Stanger Things sold loads of merchandise and that was on Netflix, so why isn't the club selling millionsof replica shirts from their shed in Bishop? Sample posts below.

Like the difference in league quality thing, I'm not sure they actually get the fact that what made STID unmissable viewing, for neutrals and NUFC alike, was it was comedy gold and showed the club being utterly humiliated. :lol: The first series was a black comedy and the second was like a world class mockumentary. I fucking loved the Office, but not because Daivd Brent was a good example of an office manager. I watched it to laugh at Brent. And that was made up. 

image.png.5209d04a7e63318fb02fcb57b7b8ebf1.png

image.thumb.png.6bff596c9e63c9e8c1ed7891807b73c6.png

Fucking hell, this brain donor Nelford apparently can't tell the difference between a sit com and a documentary. :lol:

image.thumb.png.64f341d72cff218521b207e46e14b174.png

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

Adam Pearson scores for Huddersfield against sunderland😂 ok his first name isn't Adam 

Aye, Wor Adam scoring on Valentine’s Day is pushing the bounds of reality. :lol:

• Haha 6

Getting beat off Huddersfield who are constant relegation battlers. Jack Clarke must be touring the Bernabau facilities with Jude Bellingham

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, Renton said:

Screenshot_20240214_174946_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a119bcc271c2e55d11019945f8ef4f39.jpg

Yep, Jobe Bellingham, who scored what I would call a functional goal against a poor second tier defence, is England's brightest talent again. 

4 hours ago, Renton said:

Apparently Jobe is shit again. I can't keep up. 

Screenshot_20240214_211909_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3cc6cf1637dfad3003a0d0165cdf7374.jpgScreenshot_20240214_212102_Chrome.thumb.jpg.715e644f35523dd25d88bec66f2c6219.jpg

Fuck.  I was just about to say that I thought he was shit in response to Rents' original post and the mackems beat me to it. :smile:

Edited by RobinRobin
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I watched the first couple of episodes of STID last night.

The place is a toxic environment which Alex Neill and Jack Clarke aren’t even subtle about.

Aye, me too. Boring as fuck tbh. Contrary to what they think, the fans don't come across as particularly well. They're 100% reactionary and often very strange looking. The idea that someone stateside would say "Wow, look at those fans, I want some of THAT!!!" is laughable. :lol:

Also why do they love that Onion person? What a whinging fanny he is. 

• Haha 1

I've just started watching it. 

The "Previously on..." for the first episode was glorious. All of that sadness and turmoil distilled into 3 minutes. Like a thick misery syrup. 

• Haha 6

28 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I've just started watching it. 

The "Previously on..." for the first episode was glorious. All of that sadness and turmoil distilled into 3 minutes. Like a thick misery syrup. 

Just finished it. It's a stretch trying to paint Sunderland getting out of League1 via the playoffs as some sort of plucky fairy tale mind! Their budget/playing squad must be triple of most teams in that league.

I assume the next season shows Ross Stewart, Alex Prichard and Alex Neil all fucking them off :lol: 

• Haha 4

Does the season finish with them getting promoted then? 

I know we take the piss and stuff but that owner they've got. Fuck me. He's just a bairn. Making mad decisions like sacking the boss with no replacement and then you see on this that the bloke they eventually appointed proactively got in touch with them to see if they had any interest in him. 

Just brutal mismanagement. 

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Does the season finish with them getting promoted then? 

I know we take the piss and stuff but that owner they've got. Fuck me. He's just a bairn. Making mad decisions like sacking the boss with no replacement and then you see on this that the bloke they eventually appointed proactively got in touch with them to see if they had any interest in him. 

Just brutal mismanagement. 

Aye, slow motion footage set to soppy music of them beating Wycombe in a half empty Wembley. Stirring stuff

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Renton said:

They're upset by this lady nailing it.

As someone who inexplicably lived in Sunderland for a year during my days at uni I can confidently say the only thing this lass go wrong was the manc accent

The latest season of STID feels a lot like they just felt like they had to draw a line under it. 3 very half hearted episodes and I'd be surprised if they bothered their arse with a fourth season.

Mental really when you consider the huge global appetite for terrible lower league football, morbidly obese fans, and that beeyewtiful accent.

• Haha 6

Where are people gonna go now to get top level sporting content like the blow-by-blow inside story of Luke O'Nien man-marking Sheffield Wednesday's Barry Bannan out of the league one play-off semi final?

It's one of the great sporting contests. Ali v Frazier, Coe v Ovett, O'Nien v Bannan.

Just feels like Netflix are making a huge mistake if they don't keep this going.

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

The latest season of STID feels a lot like they just felt like they had to draw a line under it. 3 very half hearted episodes and I'd be surprised if they bothered their arse with a fourth season.

Mental really when you consider the huge global appetite for terrible lower league football, morbidly obese fans, and that beeyewtiful accent.

Also funny when you consider the people who made it are actual Sunderland fans :lol: 

• Like 2