mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

17 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol: They’re so weirdly obsessed with Staveley, she’s a minority owner of the club. How would any of this be embarrassing for the Saudis? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

“ sunderland is upcoming with lots going on”

last time I went to sunderland other than for a football match was to see siouxsie and the banshees at the polytechnic in about 1978.

the spice girls and elton john would suggest things have gone downhill since then.

23 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: They’re so weirdly obsessed with Staveley, she’s a minority owner of the club. How would any of this be embarrassing for the Saudis? 

No, you’re wrong. They’re going to kill her over some unrelated legal dispute. Even though they’d already have been aware of it when she was involved in brokering the LIV Golf deal. Or something 

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

Listen to the intro :lol: 

BBC used to do this a bit, I remember Bobby Charlton co-commentating on them and called them Geordies as well. The term mackem hadn't made it south of the NE at this point in time. (Then again, maybe Jimmy knew fine well and was just having another little joke at their expense the little tinker). :lol:

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

BBC used to do this a bit, I remember Bobby Charlton co-commentating on them and called them Geordies as well. The term mackem hadn't made it south of the NE at this point in time. (Then again, maybe Jimmy knew fine well and was just having another little joke at their expense the little tinker). :lol:

When did the term become commonly used in the NE though? I don't remember it being used that much in the 1980s at school tbh. Didn't it really take off during the Hall era? 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

When did the term become commonly used in the NE though? I don't remember it being used that much in the 1980s at school tbh. Didn't it really take off during the Hall era? 

I saw some bloke on TV-AM in the 80s and the Geordie accent was brought up. I think it was in relation to Auf Wiedersehen, Pet. Anyway the bloke was from Wearside. And he said something like I’m not really a Geordie, I’m a Mackem. And explained it’s because we mack ‘em and they tack ‘em, in relation to ships (or bow-aats). It sticks in my mind because I’d never heard it before in my life 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renton said:

We used it in school going back to the mid eighties so definitely pre-Hall. I knew a few ex-shipyard workers who loathed them and it had fuck all to do with football more with them coming over here and working themselves and not sticking together v the company.

13 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

We used it in school going back to the mid eighties so definitely pre-Hall. I knew a few ex-shipyard workers who loathed them and it had fuck all to do with football more with them coming over here and working themselves and not sticking together v the company.

If the etymology is true (and I think it most likely is), it probably started as a Wallsend thing. Let me know what the next term you guys come up with to take the piss out of the SMB. 👍;)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

aye, remember mates from sunniside who'd previously worked at marley hill colliery and were transferred to vane tempest and monk wearmouth pits referring to mackems, must have been shortly after the miner's strike.

don't think I can recall it before then though.

• Like 1

My old man used to drive us past their old training ground in Washington on the way to see our Grandad, and he’d regularly shout “ Dorty mackems!” out the window at them. :lol:

This was back in the early 1970s. 

• Haha 6

Or just remind them they didn’t even have a nickname and they had to have a vote in the early 2000s to come up with one 👍🏻

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Alex said:

I saw some bloke on TV-AM in the 80s and the Geordie accent was brought up. I think it was in relation to Auf Wiedersehen, Pet. Anyway the bloke was from Wearside. And he said something like I’m not really a Geordie, I’m a Mackem. And explained it’s because we mack ‘em and they tack ‘em, in relation to ships (or bow-aats). It sticks in my mind because I’d never heard it before in my life 

:lol: :lol: :lol: 

• Haha 3

So the thread on Newcastle fans wearing replica kits is still ongoing, now with over 600 posts. You can add that to the 750 post "summer edition sportswashing" thread that started just last weekend, and a lengthy one about Maddison which is really about us. 

Anyway, a lot are absolutely fewming about mag tops iin "their territory". Someone had the temerity to wear one in Jordan Henderson's butcher shop and this MLF is not happy. Shop boycotted. 

image.png.3fddbb51ae830a9c904be60657efbba6.png

• Haha 7

10 minutes ago, Renton said:

So the thread on Newcastle fans wearing replica kits is still ongoing, now with over 600 posts. You can add that to the 750 post "summer edition sportswashing" thread that started just last weekend, and a lengthy one about Maddison which is really about us. 

Anyway, a lot are absolutely fewming about mag tops iin "their territory". Someone had the temerity to wear one in Jordan Henderson's butcher shop and this MLF is not happy. Shop boycotted. 

One of those where I’m not quite sure if it’s worse if he made that story up or if it’s true :lol: 

• Haha 6

'Nobody likes the occasional Mag at work when he's being ok more than me...... But if he smashed my winda, crawled in and tried to commit burglary in my own house..... Whilst wearing his gravy stained, sports washed Mag Saudi shirt? I'd be..... Ee-ah! Mag! Nooooo! I admire the fact that Bobby Robson and Jackie Milburn were both probably MLFs but I do not admire you trying to burgle my house!!!'

'What would you do, marra?'

'Ahd flo-wa the cunt with a oner, marra. Fucking cheeky Mag cunt!'

yskp366ihgry80kwfpjj.thumb.jpg.52979afe782180a9217e8f4bd2533693.jpg

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I heard that Stirks owes staff thousands in unpaid wages from failed restaurants, which he shut without notifying them. Good to see their moral compass remains as dysfunctional as ever.

Well I don't know about "Stirks" but I was curious so looked up Hendersons. It's fucking disgusting they served this mag scum marra. The should tayake down Jordan's shirt from the window. Absolutely fewmin. FTM.

In all seriousness wtf is this place? Somebody's converted a small terraced house into a butcher's shop?

image.thumb.png.f793c8ab79616fb093096b472af112e8.png

Random. Whilst I was looking at Sunderland on Google maps as part of my tremendous research (so you don't have to), I never knew that like Newcastle, Sunderland has a town moor. Sort of. ABout the size of a large garden. What a place.

image.png.8686af6252aaf6e886a18179dd5e0a49.png

• Haha 7

Newcastle Town Moor.

image.png.0a2b021dd3c000e292b1c885aef7510b.png

Sunderland Town Moor

image.png.46f0b39b2519147fbac6d647eae1f0df.png

:lol:

I miss the post something shit on Sunderland thread. It's so much easier nowadays with Google maps and Streetview too. 

• Haha 9

11 hours ago, Renton said:

:lol: I’m sure he doesn’t have a job, but if he does I hope he quits it when he figures out they employ people that support Newcastle. I fully support his stance tbh, that list of boycotted stores should include every major retailer and supermarket since they all have Newcastle fan customers and staff! What a fucking knacker. 

• Haha 4