mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

22 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Hey, I got an MSc from Sunderland Uni :lol: 

I got a bike wheel reflector from my box of Cornflakes. 

I know which is worth more.

• Haha 8
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, strawb said:

Would you say Phillips is their best ever player? 

Pretty low bar 

Besides the older fans who might have hazy memories of players from ye olde Sunderland, the younger ones will say Pickford or Henderson, surely?

Charlie Hurley won their player of the century iirc. 
Phillips was a good centre forward who had one incredible season. But he wasn’t as good as loads of his English peers. Ian Wright, Shearer, Sheringham, Cole, Ferdinand. You’d be luck to get half that fee for him even if he was at his peak now. Just look at how much them lot overrate their current squad though 

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'd guess Raich Carter might be their greatest ever but there's going to be next to nobody who saw him play that's alive now.

Len Shackleton because he hated the mags, marra 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Charlie Hurley won their player of the century iirc. 
Phillips was a good centre forward who had one incredible season. But he wasn’t as good as loads of his English peers. Ian Wright, Shearer, Sheringham, Cole, Ferdinand. You’d be luck to get half that fee for him even if he was at his peak now. Just look at how much them lot overrate their current squad though 

Hurley mainly played for them in the 2nd Division and of the years he played with them in the top flight the highest they finished was 15th.

From Wikipedia:

'Hurley's Sunderland career had a disastrous start; a 7–0 rout by Blackpool, coupled with him scoring an own goal on his debut, which was quickly followed by a 6–0 defeat by Burnley.' :lol:  

'That's Sunderland, that is.'

maxresdefault.jpg

Aye, for their standards I can 100% see how he was their 'player of the century'. :lol:

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

How do you pronounce Raich btw? 
Is it

“ Rake”

“Raytch”

” Better than Sheeayrer”

No idea tbh? 

Raytch. (I think). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

How do you pronounce Raich btw? 
Is it

“ Rake”

“Raytch”

” Better than Sheeayrer”

No idea tbh? 

Reeyatch 👍🏻

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Toonpack said:

It would appear Ellis Simms is shit, now that he's signed for Coventry, per mackem twitter. His mackemactico card has been rescinded.

Apparently his signing fee is £8 million which is more than their entire ST revenue. This frat kid better ask for a pocket money rise from his mummy. 

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 1

Shit strip   👍

Strange looking lass (sister) leaning suggestively across a car bonnet 👍

Shit brutalist architecture in background   👍

Non committal sale date implying supply issues   👍

Homage to the 80s when they could also be found in the third tier   👍

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Shit strip   👍

Non Ccommittal sale date implying supply issues   👍

Tbh we can't really have a superior to them when it comes to supply issues. I was in the silver link the other day, waiting for my daughters, thought I'd have a look at our new shirt. JD didn't have it in so I went to sports direct to have a look and the only shirts they had were kids sizes. I've heard of people who ordered one online on the day they came out have been refunded by castore as they can't get them out to them. A shitty Ashley legacy we're stuck with for a couple of years yet. Nice shirt, shame about the shit wedge we're getting despite being a CL club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Shit strip   👍

Non committal sale date implying supply issues   👍

"For those who are still unaware, although Nike are Sunderland’s current kit supplier – the partnership is managed by its local affiliate Just Sport Group, based in Spennymoor. The deal which began in 2020 has now been renewed until summer 2027. Basically, we aren’t considered important enough to have a direct relationship with Nike, and as such have a deal where we order our kits from their teamwear range and then a modestly sized factory unit in County Durham stick on the Sunderland badges and send them up the A19. When they arrive and their lack of availability, however, is the BIG problem here."

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2023/7/6/23785504/just-not-good-enough-sunderland-need-to-catch-up-off-the-pitch-with-whats-going-on-on-it

:lol:

How am I just finding this out?

• Haha 5