mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Really don't see any chance of him staying.  I still think other clubs would look at him at that age and even if it's not premier league, I think he'd want to move back down south.

I think you're overestimating Watmore comparing him to Long.  He's just a ginger Forrest Gump.  Last time I heard even their fans thought there wasn't enough pitch for him to run into.

Just said he was in that mould; Busy, quick, a nuisance.

Yeah they don't seem to think very much of Watmore. Pickford is held in quite high esteem but I reckon they'd keep him no bother. Clattermole would stay. Probably about his level these days anyway.

I reckon Rodwell would probably stick with them too :lol: Much as they'd hate that.

Borini would be off I reckon.

There's absolutely no way their squad would piss the Championship, it is fucking dreadful. They're struggling more than Villa were last season and look where Villa are.

Watmore is utter shit as well, they'll have him until he ends up at a League one side. They're fucking mental, they laughed at us saying our squad would manage down here but then they're saying theirs will with nowt but a 36 year old Defoe up top :lol:

Edited by Howay

There's absolutely no way their squad would piss the Championship, it is fucking dreadful. They're struggling more than Villa were last season and look where Villa are.

Watmore is utter shit as well, they'll have him until he ends up at a League one side. They're fucking mental, they laughed at us saying our squad would manage down here but then they're saying there's will with nowt but a 36 year old Defoe up top :lol:

After £50m was spent on their squad. Do sunderland have £50m to spend on an overhaul?

Sunderland's relegation is about 5 years in the making, it's mental that they've clung on as long as they have.

That said, they're going to throw the kitchen sink at staying up in the January transfer window. And presumably they'll get M'Vila back then.

Sunderland's relegation is about 5 years in the making, it's mental that they've clung on as long as they have.

That said, they're going to throw the kitchen sink at staying up in the January transfer window. And presumably they'll get M'Vila back then.

It'll be interesting to see how much they do throw at January, especially if they're not much better off than they are now.  The summer suggested to me that Short has them working to a much smaller budget than most teams in the division and they were struggling to attract players.  If they're right in the shit come January, they're going to struggle to get much more than loan players in.  Their best hope is probably another manager and hoping that he can give them a bounce.  Of course longer term that's just going to keep the cycle of shit going as it has been and if they keep doing it, sooner or later it will fail and they'll be relegated.  I've not really seen much of them this season but looking at their squad, I think this will be the season they go down.

It'll be interesting to see how much they do throw at January, especially if they're not much better off than they are now.  The summer suggested to me that Short has them working to a much smaller budget than most teams in the division and they were struggling to attract players.  If they're right in the shit come January, they're going to struggle to get much more than loan players in.  Their best hope is probably another manager and hoping that he can give them a bounce.  Of course longer term that's just going to keep the cycle of shit going as it has been and if they keep doing it, sooner or later it will fail and they'll be relegated.  I've not really seen much of them this season but looking at their squad, I think this will be the season they go down.

The new manager bounce is their speciality tbf. If it keeps on like this, Moyes won't make it to Christmas though. If Short has any sense, he'll let Moyes soldier on, accept relegation, and give him the chance to bring them back around. He won't though, he'll sack him and probably try to bring back Allardyce or scramble for whoever gets chopped next.

RTG is now a constant source of entertainment as they implode; those who think they'll go down and those who then label them as "bedwetters" with regular what-ifs and "we'll have 20 points by Christmas, everyone will be fit and we'll be fine"

Given their current performance and the quite public annual losses, cash wise,  each year; how long could they survive in the Championship before the running costs of the stadium becomes an issue?  If Short has given up on them, as many of them believe, the 100 million TV payout at the end of the season could go straight to paying his numerous bailouts rather than new players.

Edited by MiddleAgeCool

Although it'd be annoying if Short sells. He's definitely the root cause of their problems.

Mad isn't it? We've hated Ashley for years and now that the right manager has come in and laid down the law, nobody is as vocal in their contempt for him. Down the road, however, Short has been similarly destructive to their football club and doesn't seem to get nearly as much abuse. They seem to point the finger at the manager or the players, something that they derided us for doing when PardewOut.com was at it's peak.

Poyet's right in that they don't know what they want - besting us (in the games at least) for 4 or 5 years has kept them happy and hidden the stench.

It looked like they'd "got it" with Bruce as he at least wanted to push on but his nufc links made them eager to turn on him at the first chance - hoist by their own bitter petard.

Ashley more or less ended his failed experiment when Rafa came in though, and I think for most of us, that's the important thing - it's almost as if we're in a new era now. If we'd had another useless appointment we'd still be going on at him. Short fundamentally doesn't know what he's doing IMO. No vision for the club at all. I think the Johnson case and subsequent loss of Byrne probably hurt them more than we thought actually, if she was the one running things. Sudden departures of CEOs are never a good thing.

The club is tearing itself down of its own accord. I don't think relegation will be good for them as such, but it'll see them back to where they should be.

RTG is now a constant source of entertainment as they implode; those who think they'll go down and those who then label them as "bedwetters" with regular what-ifs and "we'll have 20 points by Christmas, everyone will be fit and we'll be fine"

Given their current performance and the quite public annual losses, cash wise, each year; how long could they survive in the Championship before the running costs of the stadium becomes an issue? If Short has given up on them, as many of them believe, the 100 million TV payout at the end of the season could go straight to paying his numerous bailouts rather than new players.

20 points by Christmas?! Such ambition.

Aye, there's absolutely no chance they'll have 20 by Christmas, honestly they'd be lucky to have that by March. I knew they were shit but getting comfortably humped by a completely out of sorts Stoke made me realize they're on another level shiteness wise.

They're a complete and utter fucking mess tbh, they have relentlessly attacked us for our dislike of Ashley over the years so now a lot of them refuse to criticise Short over some ridiculous loyal fan crusade, I once saw a thread where a bloke criticised Short and called for Ashley out type stuff and he got dogs abuse for being like the mags :lol:. It's almost as absurd as the classy thing, the owner has completely fucking given up on their club and they refuse to complain in some warped attempt at giving them something to look down at us over.

There are a few of them who see him as the issue mind. I think the situation is becoming serious enough now that they're actually having to confront reality.

That said, their real issue is that they're just shit. I don't think there's anything structurally wrong in the background, it's just that Short is trigger happy and they've bought shit continuously year on year. That's it.

Took them 25 games to get 20 points last season, they only had 12 by the start of January.

Their run for the next few games doesn't look good. I can't see any of the next 4 where they'd pick up points. Their home match against Hull would be the first one realistically, and that's back end of November. They might get something away at West Ham, but that's as optimistic as I think they can get.

I don't understand why so many would prefer to rinse and repeat, finishing 17th every year, rather than accepting relegation as part of the rebuilding process, so that they return to the Premier League without the millstone of a losing culture dragging every effort to progress back into the mire of survival.

I reckon they know that they wouldn't be coming back up any time soon. The Championship is full of 'big' clubs who've just got stuck there. To be honest, our refusal to entertain the possibility that it might happen to us is probably one of the factors behind the fact that we're doing so well. We're just not accepting it and doing whatever is necessary to get back out. Hard to say they'd do the same.

Their run for the next few games doesn't look good. I can't see any of the next 4 where they'd pick up points. Their home match against Hull would be the first one realistically, and that's back end of November. They might get something away at West Ham, but that's as optimistic as I think they can get.

West Ham and Bournemouth aren't great, and yeah Hull are dire, but surely the other teams would see Sunderland as the perfect fixture to improve their form (West Ham) or get a step closer to safety (B'mouth/Hull).

It's a horrible situation and not one I can see them getting out of this year. I honestly think the fire that was put in their bellies for the derby every year helped them over the line each time.