mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Pickford isn't actually that good though, surely they'd go after a good keeper if they were willing to spend big money on one especially after they tried to go the young prospect route with Karius already. He's getting so much attention because their goal is peppered every match, so if he saves most of them he's class and any mistakes he makes are written off as he's young and his defence is shite.

Jack Butland went for about 3m a few years back, I know it's a few seasons ago and transfer fees have went up but Butland was by far a bigger potential prospect than Pickford (they're pretty much the same age in fact) and despite his injury set back Butland is clearly the better keeper imo. I'm not saying Pickford is shite, I just think he's being overrated to fuck by the mackems, and only really the mackems so I don't see a big bid coming in for him.

He's good enough, young enough and English enough to command a big fee though. And we can't very well dismiss the likelihood of a club spending over the odds on someone who's been mostly average apart from a few highlight reels, can we? 

He won't go for the £30m some are expecting, but he'll be the one player that demands a high fee.

I think Liverpool will get Joe Hart and there is no way Mourinho will go for Pickford.

You're right, but Mourinho might go for Lloris, or Butland, and that'll have Spurs or Stoke looking around for a top 'keeper and so on.

Sunderland won't really be in a position to demand big money though. They'll be in the Championship and teams know they're strapped for cash. We weren't when we went down so we could hold clubs to ransom.

Joe Hart will be on the market too I'm the Summer and clubs would probably prefer to tempt him.

They also knew that Sissoko wanted to go and we wanted to sell. Oh, and the world knew that Sissoko was horse shit.

They also knew that Sissoko wanted to go and we wanted to sell. Oh, and the world knew that Sissoko was horse shit.

Sissoko had a strong 5 minute highlight reel showing in an international tournament though. Pickford has a season worth of labouring behind an abysmal defence.

I think they'll get about £20m for him, but it won't go far enough to make a big difference.

Sissoko had a strong 5 minute highlight reel showing in an international tournament though. Pickford has a season worth of labouring behind an abysmal defence.

I think they'll get about £20m for him, but it won't go far enough to make a big difference.

£5 to the SBR foundation they get no more than £10 mill for him.

To be fair I think we held a decent hand with Sissoko. Rafa came out and said he wanted him to stay, and we didn't really need the money - we'd have just about broken even without selling him.

I do rate Pickford, but I'd agree he won't be making a move to a top 6 club. Everton would probably be a decent shout - that Robles is absolutely hopeless. I could see him going for around the £15m mark.

EDIT: Actually, scrap that. Hot young English talent? That'll be enough to bump it to £20m IMO.

Edited by rogerbarton

You're right, but Mourinho might go for Lloris, or Butland, and that'll have Spurs or Stoke looking around for a top 'keeper and so on.

There's no way a side like Spurs would buy him man, overrating outfield players based off a European Championship final is one thing spunking a fortune on the goal keeper of the bottom side when you're 2nd in the league is another. Stoke would probably get Begovic back from Chelsea or something.

He's good enough, young enough and English enough to command a big fee though. And we can't very well dismiss the likelihood of a club spending over the odds on someone who's been mostly average apart from a few highlight reels, can we? 

He won't go for the £30m some are expecting, but he'll be the one player that demands a high fee.

He's not that good though, and 20m plus would be a British record for a goal keeper, I think De Gea holds the record and he was only about 18m and was touted as potentially one of the best goalkeepers in the world. I agree with KCG that 5-10m is far more likely, I don't know if they'll accept but I can't see someone paying a British record fee for a goal keeper from the worst side in the league. People tend to try and just fill the GK slot with the best and cheapest option, it's not usually the area big sides look to get English players in which is why players like Butland haven't been overrated price wise.

£5 to the SBR foundation they get no more than £10 mill for him.

If he's sold he'll go for >£10m.

£5 to the SBR AND NOT A FUCKING PLANE

There's no way a side like Spurs would buy him man, overrating outfield players based off a European Championship final is one thing spunking a fortune on the goal keeper of the bottom side when you're 2nd in the league is another. Stoke would probably get Begovic back from Chelsea or something.

He's not that good though, and 20m plus would be a British record for a goal keeper, I think De Gea holds the record and he was only about 18m and was touted as potentially one of the best goalkeepers in the world. I agree with KCG that 5-10m is far more likely, I don't know if they'll accept but I can't see someone paying a British record fee for a goal keeper from the worst side in the league. People tend to try and just fill the GK slot with the best and cheapest option, it's not usually the area big sides look to get English players in which is why players like Butland haven't been overrated price wise.

Meant that Spurs would go off and sign a top 'keeper and whomever they buy from will need a replacement. 

I know what you're saying and frankly if the market wasn't fucking bonkers I'd agree that a fairly raw 'keeper shouldn't command a big fee. But honestly, this is the Premier League we're talking about; Hull paid £13m for Ryan Mason, John Stones went for £47.25m, Palace paid £10m for James fucking Tomkins ffs!

Is Jordan Pickford likely to command a higher fee than 27 year old shitheap James Tomkins?

Meant that Spurs would go off and sign a top 'keeper and whomever they buy from will need a replacement. 

I know what you're saying and frankly if the market wasn't fucking bonkers I'd agree that a fairly raw 'keeper shouldn't command a big fee. But honestly, this is the Premier League we're talking about; Hull paid £13m for Ryan Mason, John Stones went for £47.25m, Palace paid £10m for James fucking Tomkins ffs!

Is Jordan Pickford likely to command a higher fee than 27 year old shitheap James Tomkins?

I know what you're saying but they're all outfield players, the market isn't quite as mental for goalkeepers. Spurs would likely go abroad or get Butland (like you mentioned iirc) and then Stoke would probably try and get Begovic back or go abroad. Teams have money but I think they'd rather spend it on outfield positions. I'm just saying I don't think a lad who has let 35 goals in 21 starts is going to break the British leagues record for a GK signing, I get the market is mental and dross like Sissoko goes for well over asking but Sissoko plays in an overvalued position and had a Euro Championship final performance that for some reason was raved about, Pickford isn't getting that type of hype or exposure and plays in the only position that has up to now been exempt from this mental market. 

Edited by Howay

I know what you're saying but they're all outfield players, the market isn't quite as mental for goalkeepers. Spurs would likely go abroad or get Butland (like you mentioned iirc) and then Stoke would probably try and get Begovic back or go abroad. Teams have money but I think they'd rather spend it on outfield positions. 

Well, I've made the bet now, so we'll see. 

Why would Spurs let Lloris leave? And would he want to leave a side in a much better state than Man U?

Because my tuber chomping chum, it's just a hypothetical. Maybe Lloris develops a love of a barm cake? Or he can't stand the arseholes in London anymore, and want to move to Manchester to see what Northern arseholes are like instead?

Why would Spurs let Lloris leave? And would he want to leave a side in a much better state than Man U?

The only conceivable answer for both is £££. if there's an answer to be had at all, that is. He certainly wouldn't move for anything else.

Because my tuber chomping chum, it's just a hypothetical. Maybe Lloris develops a love of a barm cake? Or he can't stand the arseholes in London anymore, and want to move to Manchester to see what Northern arseholes are like instead?

He's called Hugo man, he must love it in London knocking about with blokes called Tarquin and people with two surnames.

Now that's a bet.

:puke:

He's called Hugo man, he must love it in London knocking about with blokes called Tarquin and people with two surnames.

Yeah I'm sure footballers spend a lot of time in the Sloany Pony and the Ship... ;)

No chance is that going to happen. I mean, come on. That's just setting us up to be the fall guys in some bizarre PR stunt where Defoe comes out and says he's leaving, but he's turning us down on principle :lol:

Edited by Rayvin

Yeah I'm sure footballers spend a lot of time in the Sloany Pony and the Ship... ;)

Rumour was that Pickford was in the boozer most nights of the week when he was injured.

Rumour was that Pickford was in the boozer most nights of the week when he was injured.

Meant that footballers aren't likely to be hanging out in the pubs filled with Tarquins and Ruperts i.e. the White Horse in Parsons Green (Sloany Pony) or the Ship in Wandsworth.

They'll be in the kind of bling bars that Alasdair and Tippy wouldn't dare set foot in.