mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

It's also worth remembering money doesn't go a long way for the Mackems, they had to pay players ridiculous wages to attract them in the Premier League. Imagine the sort of shite they'll be struggling to attract next season.

Stuff like this wont help attracting players:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/04/05/patrick-van-aanholt-explains-how-he-forced-through-crystal-palac/

Their fanbase also seems to be very occupied with the quality of the Championship " I think quality of the championship is exceptionally poor this season in terms of the games I've watched, Brighton don't look great shakes either" they're forgetting that their team is utter hopeless as well but also that while the teams are full of cloggers it doesn't make beating them a cakewalk

"As bad as we are in the Prem we would still beat your lot like" Comments like this show how little many of them understand about football, this type of thinking has been evident from them all season that simply because their team happens to be part of the Premier division it is better. Ridiculous logic, I hope they carry it into next season as they'll be in for a hell of a shock.

Just noticed a new trend from them: this season is the worst ever quality wise ever for the Championship. :lol: Interesting that the maggie bastards got that sort of luck.

Set up nicely for "This season the standard in the Championship is much, much higher. That's why we're 12th." being the rhetoric come December 2017.

by the way, this will go down well; http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/04/04/mark-lawrenson-compares-sunderland-to-newcastle-united/

Edited by The Fish

Is that them gone? Hull winning last night puts them 10pts clear with only 8 games left. Sunderland's PpG of 0.66 would have to lurch to 3PpG to better Hull's predicted 37pts?

They were cockahoop at the thought of us being in the Championship and both of them being up in the top flight. Fully taken advantage of that situation, haven't they? :lol: 19th and 20th.

:lol:

Sunderland absolutely have suffered from not having us in the league with them, mind. We seem to be a hugely motivating force on them, and without us they're just insipid.

Aye they're down like. They need to make up a gap of 10 points in 8 games (They currently only have 20 points from 30) and then win points on top of that whilst hoping Swansea and Hull pretty much dont win another game in their remaining 7 or 8 fixtures.

Great escape that you twats.

I really want them to though... Well I want them to get enough points for them to really believe that it's going to happen only for it to be denied at the 11th hour. 

Edited by MiddleAgeCool

Even if we'd gifted them 6pts, they'd still be in the drop zone. 

Aye but if we were there struggling with them they'd be kicking the team on like last year. Boro apparently aren't quite capable of evoking the same response :lol:

I suspect they'll be in deep trouble next season. Can quite easily see them towards the bottom of the Championship.

They might screw their season in the same fashion as Norwich and Villa, but I can't see them ending up bottom 3rd of the table. 

They might screw their season in the same fashion as Norwich and Villa, but I can't see them ending up bottom 3rd of the table. 

Why? Cos, assuming Defoe is away, who is going to score goals :lol:

It really depends on Short IMO. He could absolutely stiff them in the summer by withholding funds.

Why? Cos, assuming Defoe is away, who is going to score goals :lol:

It really depends on Short IMO. He could absolutely stiff them in the summer by withholding funds.

Whichever striker they buy with the funds they get from Pickford and the others. 

Even though they're knackered, they're still going to be able to attract Championship players, ageing Premier League players and decent young players on loan from top clubs (think Tammy Abraham from Chelsea).

Their biggest problem is the size of their squad. Once everyone who wants to leave goes, someone on RTG says they'll be left with:

Whats the squad going to look like ?

Returning to home club - Denayar, Zanuzaj, Manquilo

Freed - JoS, Larrson, Pienaar, Anichebe, Defoe(!!!) Kirchoff,

Sold - Pickers, Kone, Borini, Khazri, Mannone, Ndong [?]

Try to sell due to wages - Catts, Rodwell, Djilibotchup,

Staying - BJ, Love,Oviedo, McNair, Watmore, Gibson

That is one hell of a rebuilding job with very little money

When we went down we lost a significant number of 1st team players permanently or on loan, but our squad was good enough to be the squad we added 1st team players to.

Once they get rid of the 'has beens', the 'never were' and the 'might bes', there's very little left and certainly not good enough to form the basis of a squad looking to bounce back. 

Not sure they'll get all the money from player sales... their squad depth is absolutely an issue though, and their limited funds will be spread more thinly as a result. In trouble IMO.

A lot of their talk about funds is constantly focused on getting loads of money for Pickford. The issue with that is keepers rarely move for those sorts of fees, how many clubs are desperately screaming out for a goalie? And is he even that good? They've been banging on like he's immense but from what I've seen of him he's just a canny young keeper, it's not like he looks like Donnarumma or De Gea (when he was that age) ffs.

A lot of their talk about funds is constantly focused on getting loads of money for Pickford. The issue with that is keepers rarely move for those sorts of fees, how many clubs are desperately screaming out for a goalie? And is he even that good? They've been banging on like he's immense but from what I've seen of him he's just a canny young keeper, it's not like he looks like Donnarumma or De Gea (when he was that age) ffs.

I think they might get £5 million for him, none of the big teams are desperate for a keeper and that is the only place you could get silly money for him.

I think they might get £5 million for him, none of the big teams are desperate for a keeper and that is the only place you could get silly money for him.

I agree that it'll be much more like that sort of fee than the 20m or more they all seem convinced of.

Liverpool are after a 'keeper. De Gea moving to Spain might shuffle the pack too. I'd not be surprised if they got a big fee for Pickford. English, highly rated, young.

Plus if teams like Crystal palace can spend £75.5m you needn't restrict big spenders to the "big" clubs.

Liverpool are after a 'keeper. De Gea moving to Spain might shuffle the pack too. I'd not be surprised if they got a big fee for Pickford. English, highly rated, young.

Plus if teams like Crystal palace can spend £75.5m you needn't restrict big spenders to the "big" clubs.

Pickford isn't actually that good though, surely they'd go after a good keeper if they were willing to spend big money on one especially after they tried to go the young prospect route with Karius already. He's getting so much attention because their goal is peppered every match, so if he saves most of them he's class and any mistakes he makes are written off as he's young and his defence is shite.

Jack Butland went for about 3m a few years back, I know it's a few seasons ago and transfer fees have went up but Butland was by far a bigger potential prospect than Pickford (they're pretty much the same age in fact) and despite his injury set back Butland is clearly the better keeper imo. I'm not saying Pickford is shite, I just think he's being overrated to fuck by the mackems, and only really the mackems so I don't see a big bid coming in for him.

Sunderland won't really be in a position to demand big money though. They'll be in the Championship and teams know they're strapped for cash. We weren't when we went down so we could hold clubs to ransom.

Joe Hart will be on the market too I'm the Summer and clubs would probably prefer to tempt him.

I think Liverpool will get Joe Hart and there is no way Mourinho will go for Pickford.