mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

I think they'll go back up first time of asking tbh but the fact they went down at all, and that a key factor in this is shite home attendances and a toxic atmosphere, will be a stick to beat them with for years to come.

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I think they'll go back up first time of asking tbh but the fact they went down at all, and that a key factor in this is shite home attendances and a toxic atmosphere, will be a stick to beat them with for years to come.

Based on what? They're incompetent at every level, I doubt they're suddenly going to be knowledgeable enough to build a promotion side. Or any kind of functioning side tbh. 

• Like 1

I like how they have this image of themselves as a proper football fan's club, and that everyone in the country actually hates Newcastle despite (what they think) is the media loving us, everyone's second team etc. They think they're a proper old fashioned club and we are 'plastic 1992 Mags' and that match going fans in England know it. They seem to be unable to understand why fans of other clubs are taking the piss out of their laughable football club and their hilarious demise. Apparently Sheff Wed fans were 'disrespectful' to take the piss. Hahaha

• Like 1

They're a terrible investment, not some sleeping giant.  They've overpaid for years for mercenaries just to stay afloat in the Premiership because who the fuck on those kinds of wages with any kind of choice at all wants to even pass through that shithole?

That three-quarter-empty stadium will be a millstone around their neck every bit as much as the unmanageable debt.  I can't see how they're not headed for administration and points docked. 

They'll likely bounce between there and the bottom end of the Championship just by virtue of just how bad League One is, but I can't see them rebuilding any semblance of a Championship promotion side in the near future.  By which time the Premiership will have pulled even further away with even the poorer sides being half a billion or more better off.

All in my ill-informed opinion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Based on what? They're incompetent at every level, I doubt they're suddenly going to be knowledgeable enough to build a promotion side. Or any kind of functioning side tbh. 

Based on the fact that two of the teams who fell out of the Championship last year are both incompetent (Blackburn, Wigan) and are currently 1st and 3rd respectively.

Just now, adios said:

They're a terrible investment, not some sleeping giant.  They've overpaid for years for mercenaries just to stay afloat in the Premiership because who the fuck on those kinds of wages with any kind of choice at all wants to even pass through that shithole?

That three-quarter-empty stadium will be a millstone around their neck every bit as much as the unmanageable debt.  I can't see how they're not headed for administration and points docked. 

They'll likely bounce between there and the bottom end of the Championship just by virtue of just how bad League One is, but I can't see them rebuilding any semblance of a Championship promotion side in the near future.  By which time the Premiership will have pulled even further away with even the poorer sides being half a billion or more better off.

All in my ill-informed opinion.

Depends how long Short is prepared to keep them afloat. They could turn it around if they can offload the chancers and essentially become a 'small club'.

6 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

To be honest, we'll not know their chances until after the dust has settled. Loads of their "stars" will not countenance League 1 football, some of their young lads may be moved on to get some transfer income, those that remain might be good enough to compete in League 1...

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Based on the fact that two of the teams who fell out of the Championship last year are both incompetent (Blackburn, Wigan) and are currently 1st and 3rd respectively.

Aye but they're clubs punching around their weight and know what they're doing down there. Mackems are in disarray. A shambles.

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

To be honest, we'll not know their chances until after the dust has settled. Loads of their "stars" will not countenance League 1 football, some of their young lads may be moved on to get some transfer income, those that remain might be good enough to compete in League 1...

If their external debtor allows them to spend any funds generated, which is unlikely imo

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

When are you going to get sick of your still-overly-optimistic downgrading of their chances every 6 months just to appease your mates over the road. :razz:  

I mean, you'll be right eventually by virtue of eventually predicting at least one fan will turn up for a match I guess.

5 minutes ago, rob032 said:

I like how they have this image of themselves as a proper football fan's club, and that everyone in the country actually hates Newcastle despite (what they think) is the media loving us, everyone's second team etc. They think they're a proper old fashioned club and we are 'plastic 1992 Mags' and that match going fans in England know it. They seem to be unable to understand why fans of other clubs are taking the piss out of their laughable football club and their hilarious demise. Apparently Sheff Wed fans were 'disrespectful' to take the piss. Hahaha

Been pointed out before but they're the ones with the new(-ish) flatpack stadium (with the name stolen from elsewhere) and they even needed a fucking poll to decide on their official nickname such is their lack of identity. They're only really known for being near Newcastle which they don't exactly help themselves with since they can only identify in relation to us anyway. Not sure I believe many of them who say they'd rather have the 6 in a row than be two divisions above (which we all but are now) but the fact they're even prepared to say it defines how small time they are. They can get to fuck tbh. Know a couple of decent lads who support them but the club itself and the support of the paedo shows how 'classy' they really are (one bloke who didn't even go to the game who punched a horse defines us though :lol: ). Enjoy Burton (again) and Accrington tbh

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

If their external debtor allows them to spend any funds generated, which is unlikely imo

Only ways I can see them addressing their sizeable external debts is by flogging their stadium, or a takeover.

1 minute ago, adios said:

When are you going to get sick of your still-overly-optimistic downgrading of their chances every 6 months just to appease your mates over the road. :razz:  

I mean, you'll be right eventually by virtue of eventually predicting at least one fan will turn up for a match I guess.

How's saying "put the champagne back in the fridge until we see what they look like in August" anything but sensible? You goon. I mean, I could predict; administration, eviction and winding up orders, but that's a little premature.

Aye, that's all you said about their movements in the January transfer window. £30m wasn't it? :lol:

Everyone but you thought that was a piss-take but I guess that'll be hindsight too. ;)  

I'm only taking the piss btw, I enjoy your podcast and all that, but you're off your head when it comes to the Mackems lately.

15 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Depends how long Short is prepared to keep them afloat. They could turn it around if they can offload the chancers and essentially become a 'small club'.

I just don't think the numbers even close to add up anymore.

ETA:  Probably haven't added up for a decade in reality, which only leaves them even more fucked.

Edited by adios

I admit to being wrong about their spend in January and frankly it ties into Rayvin's confidence that Ashley will spend. I couldn't believe Short would be so stupid as to fail to invest when it was clear they were in trouble. 

This time round I'm just being cautious. They could be bought by someone who fancies a club with all the infrastructure to be a Premier League club at a knock down price, and they could be back in the top flight in 20/21. Not likely though. They could get down there and field a mixture of decent kids*, experienced heads* and a flash of quality* (for League 1) and storm the league. Likely that they'll be down in League one for at least a season, and if they get back up to the Championship I can't see them getting back into the Premier League for some time. The gap is only getting bigger and honestly, I think the wealth will spread from the Premier League to the top half of the Championship, meaning it's even harder for teams from League 1 to make much headway.

Just now, The Fish said:

I admit to being wrong about their spend in January and frankly it ties into Rayvin's confidence that Ashley will spend. I couldn't believe Short would be so stupid as to fail to invest when it was clear they were in trouble. 

This time round I'm just being cautious. They could be bought by someone who fancies a club with all the infrastructure to be a Premier League club at a knock down price, and they could be back in the top flight in 20/21. Not likely though. They could get down there and field a mixture of decent kids*, experienced heads* and a flash of quality* (for League 1) and storm the league. Likely that they'll be down in League one for at least a season, and if they get back up to the Championship I can't see them getting back into the Premier League for some time. The gap is only getting bigger and honestly, I think the wealth will spread from the Premier League to the top half of the Championship, meaning it's even harder for teams from League 1 to make much headway.

I think we'll spend because the club actually has the money to do so, not because I expect Ashley is going to dig deep for £40m.

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I think we agree on most of that tbf.

30 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Blackburn went down with more points than the mackems could get if they won all of the remaining games.  Wigan also went down with 11 more points than the mackems currently have and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) Wigan had only just been promoted the season before.  Both of those clubs (even with Blackburn being owned by Venky's) always looked better suited for a promotion challenge than the tramps currently do.  Of course anything could happen with their ownership over the summer that could change things dramatically and you only have to look at Burton when they were promoted or Shrewsbury this season to see that in that league it's not uncommon to see someone come out of nowhere to at least challenge for promotion.  But with the way things are looking like heading for them at the moment, a third relegation looks more probable next season than a promotion.