So who actually thinks we will finish 4th?

Kid Dynamite

It's such a cliché but every game really does feel like a cup final now. If we beat Wigan (which I think we will, just think they won't be able to pull off another big result so soon) then we go into the last 3, tough tough games knowing 2 wins and a draw will guarantee 4th (at least!!). Don't think we'll need that many points, but if we go into those games knowing its in our hands I think it'll give the players just that little extra boost.

Keep telling myself we'll finish 5th/6th to not get carried away and too disappointed, but can't help feeling genuinely convinced we will manage it now, which is just mad.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we beat Wigan, Draw against Chelsea, Lose to City then beat Everton we'll finish fourth. Those results mean that we finish on 69 points and Tottenham would need 10 points from their remaining four games to get us. At the rate they're going they'll need four months rather than four games to get that many points. Draw against Chelsea and they can't finish on more than 68 points. So they would be essentially be out of the running.

I think 4th is a real possibility. Those four results from our last four games are not only possible they are the likely results at the rate we're going compared to the teams we'll be coming up against. I would even say we could get something from City if the title race is over by then, which it probably will be. It comes down to Tottenham really. If they can start winning they could run us down if not then we've got them. The best part now is though, that it is in our hands, we're clear in fourth and if we get better results than Spurs for the remaining games and don't lose to Chelsea then we're in the CL. Provided Chelsea don't win the Champions League obviously.

Amazing amazing season.

I dunno. I think 8 points from the next 4 games is possible and despite Spurs poor run of form I cant see them getting beat again. That said, when you look at the Spurs games they look easy initially. But if Villa get sucked into things, which they nearly are. they they will start fighting and Spurs have to go there. Going to Bolton wont be easy for them either given where Bolton are.

I do think we'll finish above Chelsea. Im hoping that Barca put them out on Tuesday though that will likely make them fight against us all the harder.

Keeps things interesting anyway!

Don't underestimate the Dicky Branson Midas touch ;)

He buys a bank, sponsors it's "local" football team for a very resonable rate, what's the chances he's got a bargain and got his bank Europe wide exposure within 6 months. :D

Spurs have Fulham as well who aren't a walkover. I think there may end up 1 point in it

They've been shite in away games for a good while, they've only won 3 away this season.

Can barely believe that we're in this position at this stage of the season. Whatever happens from here it's amazing, but I do think we have a very good chance to finish in that top four. Our team is capable of beating any team in the league and we shouldn't be worried about facing Chelsea or Man City.

Again am desperate for third. It's certainly doable - the fact we have 12 points to play for as opposed to Arsenal's 9 could be crucial. As is their superior goal difference.

Like jonasjuice says every game is a cup final now, we can't really afford to lose any of them (if we do then we're relying on other clubs to get results against our rivals).

We won't settle for fourth (or fifth/sixth) fortunately.

2 fixtures apart from our own will go a long way to deciding decide where we actually finish:

Barca v Chelsea on Tuesday....if Chelsea are dumped out they will strangely have a lot more to play for against us by the time we roll into town on the 2nd May..although they do have the small matter of the FA cup final 3 days later as well...gotta love fixture congestion

Man Utd v Man Cty a week Monday...if Man City get beat youd have to wonder how motivated theyll be when they come to SJP.

If things go our way in these fixtures we may not need to beat Chelsea, which is the one am really not that confident about out of the 4 remaining. I think anyone saying "we've got a game in hand on Arsenal" is forgetting its against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, where our record is appalling. And it has to be said that Spurs were in a similar situation to this 2 seasons ago when they won their last 3 games to get 4th place...including going to Man City and beating them in the last game to do so. But we're the form team at just the right point of the season... and it does appear more and more that Spurs have shot their bolt. Cant see them getting more points than us from their remaining games. If we beat Wigan and they drop points at home to an obviously motivated Blackburn next weekend then that could be it for them.

Basically fuck knows where we'll finish, but its going to be a brilliant end to the season. We're in unchartered territory with a new side, we're not sure how they'll handle proper pressure games. But the signs are good, very good if yesterday is anything to go by.

Edited by PaddockLad

I think we'll get fifth, 4th (3rd?!!!) seems to good to be true!)

Me too. The form book says we're favourites but the cynic in me is doomed to disappointment.

Either way, I'm not going to get too down. What an amazing season. Whether its 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th. Unbelievable stuff.

The big question is whether we can challenge the top 4 again next time around. Or if this is a fluke season.

Can an entire season be classed as a fluke?

We've benefited from Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs having bad spells, that's for certain. But it's been up to us to take advantage of that and take advantage we have.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Can an entire season be classed as a fluke?

We've benefited from Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs having bad spells, that's for certain. But it's been up to us to take advantage of that and take advantage we have.

Teams are more likely to underestimate a newly promoted team and bust a gut against a champions league team. It won't be as easy to repeat next season.

We've benefited from Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs having bad spells, that's for certain

After 34 games last year Chelsea in 2nd had 67 points, Arsenal in 3rd had 64 points, Manchester City had 62 points in fourth & Tottenham 55 points in 5th.

The only team that haven't been reasonably consistent with or better than their last seasons form is Chelsea.

Realistically we've just been ridiculously good.

Me too. The form book says we're favourites but the cynic in me is doomed to disappointment.

Either way, I'm not going to get too down. What an amazing season. Whether its 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th. Unbelievable stuff.

The big question is whether we can challenge the top 4 again next time around. Or if this is a fluke season.

I can't understand how you can talk about fluke.

The team has been assembled, the players like Perch have been improved, Pardews achieved this utilising the full squad, Pardew foretold last year the style of play he wanted us to play.

I think Fluke does us down and isn't deserved.

You can end up with a bit of luck sometimes. The fixture list can end up kind, playing teams when they're out of form etc. However, we are so far ahead of the chasing pack that it simply can't be fluke.

We well and truly deserve our league position.

If an admin changes his name to Dr Smiles or something along those lines, will 'gloomy' stop feeling that he has to live up to his (user)name?

I'm sure back in September when he was glooming, he said he would change his name if the good run continued!

I'll have to search for it tomorrow ;)

It's not a fluke in that it's happened by chance, but plenty of teams have had great seasons as a "one off" (remember Ipswich finishing fifth then getting relegated, or the mackems in seventh for a couple of years before the same happened). Obviously different circumstances apply but it goes to show that teams can fade after having a great year, and we need to be wary of such a fate befalling us.