Favourite experience meeting a footballer

Ayatollah Hermione

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh totally forgot also about meeting Jack Charlton. Met him at Hillsborough in the Championship season on boxing day. Was down watching the toon with my fatha' and we were in the lounge/restaurant part before the game with lots of posh people. I was sat with me dad's mates drinking before the game after an amazing meal and turned to my side to realise that Jackie was sat next to me on the other table. Id had a canny few red wines (and tinnies on the way down) so I got my bottle up to strike a conversation. Lovely bloke, was sound as fuck. was on the razza himself at 10:30.

You'd be a cunt if you were outstanding ugly like him though. Imagine waking up knowing more than 70% of the people who clap eyes on you in a day are going to think you're noticably fuckin mingin.

Gary Neville was lovely, mind, and he is hardly the most attractive man in football.

Had a chat with Pav after he'd signed earlier in the week for us, I say chat but he couldn't speak much English at the time and he was buzzing off his tits at a fan recognising him and his new job in England, he had about 20 'Whatshop' bags on him and when I mentioned it he had a big cheesey grin saying just 'presents' and 'family'. I got my ticket and went home afterwards and was trying not to laugh on the Metro. Not surprised at all the players who said Pav was a lovely lad, he seemed genuinely privileged to play for us.

Met SBR not long after he came back as our manager and he was top class, seemed genuinely interested in our new plant at the Tyne Brewery, (which was the reason for his visit), and wandered off with some of the lads from the next shift in to get a proper look at our workplace and let them show him around despite some S&N bigwig trying to usher him away.

I don't bother footballers, but my pals do, and the best one was Barry Fry. When he poses for a photo he does the thumbs up grin and goes "eeeeey!" like the Fonz.

Worst was Beardsley, didn't want a bite of my mates sausage roll first time around (as a player), second time around he was having a pop at the fans for being harsh on Ashley.

Who told the story on here about Bobby when they ran into him when they were filming an advert for The Sun? Basically, Bobby was decked out in an all-white suit and some kid rode past on his bike and shouted "How, man, Bobby, you're deeing an advert for The Sun, not frigging Persil!" and he just started laughing.

Mrs HF was on a course where they were stood in the lobby on a break eating the snacks that had been laid on. She was stood by the window eating a sarnie when Sir Berb walked bast and caught her eye. He wagged his finger at her and said with a cheeky grin "you'll get fat!". I wouldfn't get away with that, but she loved him for it.

On the other hand Kevin Philips was chatting to her and her mates in a club one time and apparently he was a proper cunt.

I've met all the Fairs Cup players from 1969 on a personal level, bar David Craig. Really nice group of blokes, down to earth, friendly and chatty, bar 1. And I'm not saying who that is.

The best company at holding the group of us and telling us his "stories" was Wyn Davies by a mile, nowt against the others but he was different class.

Edited by LeazesMag

I shook Joe Harvey's hand when i was a kid, we were at Roker Park for a derby and all hell was letting loose in the ground, my dad knew Lawrie McMenemy who was on the staff at sunderland at the time and he took us through the lounge entrance to get away from the trouble.

When we were stood at the bottom of the stairs Joe Harvey came down and I said to my dad in what I thought was a quiet voice look dad it's Joe Harvey! to which he smiled and did the hair ruffling thing!! it made my day to say the least!!!

If I remember rightly it was a 1 - 1 draw Billy Hughes scored for Sunderland and Pop Robson scored for Newcastle

Edited by BigAl

I've met Kevin Keegan a few times, the best was at a talk in somewhere in South Shields in the 80s, at the end of it he got a few fans on stage and had a game of headers with them, he never invited me for a game but one of his headers went astray and came to me perfet head hight.

I tried to heed it back but messed it up as it hit me on the lug, the lug soon went as red as my face.

Keegan just shrugged his shoulders, he didn't ask me for a trial for Newcastle.

Met Speed, Harper, Barton etc at a talk in.....

Beardsley a few times at various do's....

Jack Charlton at the ground....

Sir Bob late at night at the Gosforth Park when Mrs Tree ravished him.....

Gaza at the Gosforth Park for a night on Pina coladas.....

Keegan many times. Used to have to go to his house and get stuff signed for my boss. Such a down to earth man and always had time for the fan (s).

NB Live about 200 yards away from Stephen Caldwell but have never met him. His wife is very nice.

Keegan many times. Used to have to go to his house and get stuff signed for my boss. Such a down to earth man and always had time for the fan (s).

NB Live about 200 yards away from Stephen Caldwell but have never met him. His wife is very nice.

Recognising the back of their heads as they run away screaming doesn't count as "meeting". ;)

Don't forget the time you drove the cab to Shane's house and sat outside for 9 hours until he came out then tailed him to training and went home for a wank.

Be interesting to know which footballers you've picked up in your taxi tbh!

My missus used to work for John `Budgie` Burridge when he had a sports shop in the newgate centre, had to go to his house in Durham one monday night, he was watching a game on sky, sitting in his living room with his football boots and keepers gloves on, bouncing a ball on the floor .. also went with him to toon v Chelsea game in the players lounge, met Keegan and all the players and Sir John Hall, bumped into Phillipe Albert in Jimmys .. nice bloke and Huge, talked to big Jack in Fitzgeralds, good crack. Have met Bobby Moncur, and was very pleased to meet David Craig in his newsagents shop in North Shields. Met Andy Cole when my missus bought me a limited edition print of him, he presented it to me at the club shop, got it professionally framed, gave it pride of place above the mantlepiece.. next day he was sold to ManUre ... bummer.

My favourite meet was Ron McGarry .. he was working as a tilers mate on the same site as me, he was funny, great crack and a genuinely nice fella, said to him, went home last night and told my missus I had met my boyhood hero, he asked what she said and I said ... never fucking heard of him ... he just laughed.

Edited by phil robbo

Kiston is a mentalist. Wouldnt mess with him. What did you do?

Me and me mate were just laughing at him. It was totally surreal cos he came out of nowhere wanting a barney. Talking to this lass and all of a sudden i had that that big nosed cunt peering through his curtains all up in my grill. Howey was on the scene pretty quickly and that was that.

Met Watson and Robbie Elliott (handing out my awards) at Wallsend Boys Club.

Saw Grobelaar at Heathrow in 2002

Met Bellamy, Bassedas and Cort outside Baja Beach Club (shortly after we beat Man Utd 4-3). Bellamy was very polite.

I met Rob Lee a couple of Xmas' ago at a talk in. To be honest, I was expecting him to be a bit of a boring bastard for some reason buy his craic was superb, especially the piss taking of Shearer and the limo story. In fact, some of the stuff he told about Big Al, saying he's far from the boring bastard he's portayed as was excellent..like Shearer texting from an event he's at with someone like Kirsty Gallagher and proclaiming he'd 100% smash her back doors in. :lol:

Asked for a photo afterwards which he duely obliged and took the piss ouy of me on. Top banana.

My missus used to work for John `Budgie` Burridge when he had a sports shop in the newgate centre, had to go to his house in Durham one monday night, he was watching a game on sky, sitting in his living room with his football boots and keepers gloves on, bouncing a ball on the floor

:lol: The worst thing is, this will be 100% the truth!