Wayne Rooney...

Dr Gloom

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has to be the difference for us if we're going to do anything more in these tournaments. Ronaldo has shown what a top top world class player does for a country whose other players are average or whose other top players are not firing on all cylinders. I don't think they'll get past Spain, but if they do, he'll be the difference.

Whatever Gazza's faults he always turned up on the field for England. Rooney has never looked close to doing the same, as supposedly the best English talent since Gazza he needs to start doing that.

I don't think Brazil is his last chance like, he's only 26. Possibly 3 more tournaments in him.

Ronaldo is one of the best players of all time, and can make something happen out of nothing. Rooney just isn't that sort of player.

i don't think you can compare rooney to gazza. gazza in his prime was a genuine world class talent. rooney falls a fair bit short of that. he's a good player but over hyped for sure.

I remember everyone saying he can only get better when he burst onto the scene but I have always thought that is a far from certain claim. He was a bit like Tyson when he was young, he just loved to play and couldn't wait to get stuck in. He was unstoppable. Now it's as if he thinks too much (which perhaps isn't one of his strong suits) and has lost that directness of play.

In fact, as much as we held on last night for 120 mins, that's all we were doing. It was very dull to watch. I don't know if we'll ever have the levels of skill needed to quickly and clinically take our chances when we do have the ball against decent opposition.

i don't think you can compare rooney to gazza. gazza in his prime was a genuine world class talent. rooney falls a fair bit short of that. he's a good player but over hyped for sure.

I think the comparisons when he was at Euro 2004 were justified. He's just not that type of player anymore.

He's shit, can't remember when he last had a good game in an England shirt. We honestly looked better in the first 2 games with Welbeck/Carroll up front.

I think Rooney is too weak mentally to ever be a great player. That spell he had for several months of being absolute shite because some granny had come forward in the Sun with a kiss and tell, or whatever it was, is a prime example of his mental deficiency as an athlete--not to mention his sendings off in international games. I think he is a very immature man, with the disposition of a tantrum-prone 4 year old.

I think Rooney is too weak mentally to ever be a great player. That spell he had for several months of being absolute shite because some granny had come forward in the Sun with a kiss and tell, or whatever it was, is a prime example of his mental deficiency as an athlete--not to mention his sendings off in international games. I think he is a very immature man, with the disposition of a tantrum-prone 4 year old.

Think he switched to older prey as he started losing his pace. Real predator.

I think the comparisons when he was at Euro 2004 were justified. He's just not that type of player anymore.

what do you put that down to? has he lost a yard of pace, or was it a purple patch when he was young, more athletic and a bit more naive?

the players around him definitely aren't as good as they are at club level - he still looks a lot better playing for man u than he ever seems to in an england shirt. still goes through long periods when he's out of nick at club level too like but he never seems to be able to do it when it matters for his country, that first major tournament aside.

I think he's become less about pace and power and more about supposedly being technical, he was better when he was rawer

ferguson refuses to consistently play him in one position too which is to the detriment of his england career

I think he's become less about pace and power and more about supposedly being technical, he was better when he was rawer

ferguson refuses to consistently play him in one position too which is to the detriment of his england career

Fergie has a thing for Smithifying strikers.

The Rooney who was ripping teams apart before hobbling off against Portugal was only a glimpse of what could have been. He's a good player now and definitely one of the best in the league, but he's been stifled. As you say - he's been fucked about by constantly having his role in the side changed too often.

He's fucking shite man. He's always been shite too. Only reason he gets goals for Manure is because of all the penalties that him and Young 'win' from the paid off Premier League refs. Every now and then, 1% of his long range shots will go in and it'll end up being shown on perma repeat by Sky like that flukey overhead kick that came directly off the centre of his shin.

Anyone who plays as the main striker for Man U should get plenty of goals on a plate. Even Shola would get 20-30 goals a season with the service Rooney gets.

Rooney is the biggest fraud in world football, at least Parker put in a shift last night. Slow, shit control, can't finish, can't head, lost possession every time. He has always been wank in an England shirt, but no manager has had the balls yet to put him to pasture and tell him he isn't fit to wear the shirt.

Oh, and his attitude stinks and he's a cast iron prick too. A perfect storm of shiteness.

Thought you were going to be less of a WUM now?

Rooney at Man United is a different beast to Rooney at England. At Man U he comes short & gets the short pass from Scholes, Nani, Anderson etc. at England he comes short to pick it up & one of 2 things happen;

1) Gerrard sprays a 45 yard diagnol ball out of play, or

2) Parker plays a 5 yard square ball to Gerrard who repeats "Phase One".

The fact Carroll came on purely for route one game was poor.

Still think Roy's the right man for the job.

i don't think so hes a money grabbing little cunterhead playing for money hes got no passion for England, oh but when he plays for man united oh he can bang those goals in no problem.

Guest CabayeAye

Thought you were going to be less of a WUM now?

Thought I was going to get at least a few days before people tried to get a rise out of me.

Apologies if this has been posted.

http://www.guardian....and?INTCMP=SRCH

Good article.

"Hodgson the problem is that English football is being pulled in two directions simultaneously. We want a healthy and competitive England side, but the development is hindered by the hideous statistic which says that only 30-odd per cent of the Premier League's players are eligible to play for England, compared with 70-odd per cent of La Liga's players qualified to play for Spain and an only slightly lower figure for German players in the Bundesliga. As great a commercial triumph as it may be, the Premier League's new £3bn TV contract will only make the situation worse. Even more Eden Hazards and Marko Marins will be attracted to England's Champions League contenders by even higher wages, at the expense of a brilliant prospect such as Josh McEachran, who should now be playing for Chelsea every week."

Guest CabayeAye

The solution is obvious - FA to impose a cap of no more than 6 non-English players per 23 man squad by 2017. Take the risk of being slightly less competetive in the CL for an infinitely better England team.

Or even better, FIFA impose that ruling worldwide on club football. It would mean that only the best foreign players got to play in the PL and young English talents won't be sidelined by average foreign players.

It won't happen though, because the FA are on the take.

It always seems that as he's evolved over the seasons he's come here he's spent more and more time whinging, whining, chasing refs and giving up on trying to win a ball back when he thinks he's been unfairly treated (ie not got the free kick he's adament he's entitled too). I remember the young kid at Everton who tore us a new arsehole in the cup up here and was unplayable. What the fuck happened to him? When he gives the ball away nowadays it's head down and couldn't give a fuck..at least that's what it looks like. Going through the Billy Big Bollocks stage I think, I think you'll have another few years of him looking like he couldn't give a shite then suddenly at 30 he'll grow up and have a great tournament. Maybe.

I've also notoved the New Saviour of England (Copyright The London Press) Jack Wiltshire is become just as much a whinging little prick as well.