Newcastle sign four year shirt deal with ''Wonga''

Holden McGroin

Im going to throw a cat amongst the pigeons here and suggest that words may have travelled to different parts of North Tyneside as various people realised they could venture beyond the city walls to work, live and have nights out in other areas.

The same process that means Australians and Americans also speak the English language, despite not living in England.

No one can categorically lay claim to where a word originated unless they created that word themselves. Which none of you did. So give owa talking shite

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time Patrick Collins opens his mouth about NUFC I want top put my fist in it...theres some in the media that aren't keen on us, but this bell end actively despises us...

Every time Patrick Collins opens his mouth about NUFC I want top put my fist in it...theres some in the media that aren't keen on us, but this bell end actively despises us...

He mentions legality but not that Standard Chartered were described as a criminal organisation.

He mentions legality but not that Standard Chartered were described as a criminal organisation.

Double standards from a magistrate and part time football referee, who also happily finds a home at the Mail on Sunday?...who'd have thunk it?

The media fuss in general compared with whats been said about Blackpool and Hearts is fuckin shocking. Theyve not been able to lay much of a glove on us in the last couple of years (whilst simultaneously ignoring that SD paid the square root of fuck all to the club for the name change) so when this all blew up it was right up their street. Yet again there is better and more informed comment on the likes of here than in the press.

Double standards from a magistrate and part time football referee, who also happily finds a home at the Mail on Sunday?...who'd have thunk it?

The media fuss in general compared with whats been said about Blackpool and Hearts is fuckin shocking. Theyve not been able to lay much of a glove on us in the last couple of years (whilst simultaneously ignoring that SD paid the square root of fuck all to the club for the name change) so when this all blew up it was right up their street. Yet again there is better and more informed comment on the likes of here than in the press.

Regardless what anyone says, Newcastle are national news. We're one of the 7 clubs the media put their magnifying glass over, Man City and Chelsea are now getting it through their oil driven achievements, Tottenham have in recent years because of the disproportionate amount of Spurs fans in the media, but we always have. You can't compare Blackpool and Hearts to Newcastle United, we could buy both of them and use them as feeder clubs.

Exactly; it news because we're a big club. Man U or Chelsea would get the same treatment if they signed a deal with Wonga. Who cares about Bkackpool? They were happy just to be in the top flight for a season.

Exactly; it news because we're a big club. Man U or Chelsea would get the same treatment if they signed a deal with Wonga. Who cares about Bkackpool? They were happy just to be in the top flight for a season.

The thing is if we're morally bankrupt because we're now sponsored by Wonga, then why weren't Blackpool and Hearts pulled up for it too?....I've googled it and theres fuck all criticising either club till last week, despite what Colins said in the mos yesterday. i understand the reasons why, but its the glaring inconcistancy in the media that boils my piss.

The thing is if we're morally bankrupt because we're now sponsored by Wonga, then why weren't Blackpool and Hearts pulled up for it too?....I've googled it and theres fuck all criticising either club till last week, despite what Colins said in the mos yesterday. i understand the reasons why, but its the glaring inconcistancy in the media that boils my piss.

I take it as a compliment me, as Cantona did. "When people are talking about you, even if it is bad, it's good because it shows you exist."

Guest Your Name Here

Thing is I dont "like" the deal with Wonga as such, but such is the over reaction by the media Im finding myself defending it.

We've got an owner who gets his belly out and downs pints for the cameras, not to mention being photographed lap dancing in his underpants in a curry house. Then there's stuff like dismissing KK and appointing a manager who calls the media cunts, putting the club up for sale on the internet and having a club executive who (allegedly) runs around the pitch with his cock hanging out for a bet. Controversy has been following MA around long before he arrived at NUFC. Ashley + Controversy is the bed he has made for himself in media terms.

The reaction in Newcastle to the deal is also a major factor. Supporters and politicians had all been highly critical of the deal. Whereas places like Blackpool are happy to take anything they can get. I thinks it's a credit to Newcastle that this deal was questioned, at least it shows we don't live in a moral vacuum, or at least until we were bought off with a cheap PR stunt about renaming the ground.

The idea NUFC are being singled out is correct to an extent, but it's a self inflicted situation.

Edited by Your Name Here

Been busy so kept off here for ages, thought I'd hop on to see what old toontastic wiseheads thought of the Wonga deal.

I don't like Wonga or their practices and I'm disappointed they sponsor us. But having a legally operated, if unsavoury company's name on our shirts is no more 'immoral' than having a robbing bank sponsoring a league of clubs owned by oil barons etc with players earning obscene wages who racially abuse each other and go relatively unpunished.

What I find really saddening is the number of people who defend Wonga by stating its transparency, untroubled by the fact that most of its customers are desperate and naive. On page 20 or so Armchair Pundit trotted out some of his usual abhorrent right wing elitism saying those poor people can go fuck themselves as long as we get a new right back. I'm alright Jack.

No-one objected, indeed the most vitriolic this thread has got was over exactly what derogatory term to beat the poor with and where it originated.

Thatcher would be so, so proud of what she achieved - destroys an industry causing widespread poverty amongst the working class, while the club that once was a symbol of these people now proudly wears the name of a company that targets and exploits them, while its supporters argue over how to insult them.

Guest Your Name Here

Well said. Two wrongs don't make a right.

It's a sad state of affairs to see so many views on this subject (not just on here) that boil to I'm alright and everybody else can fuck off.