sunderland v Newcastle United (a) 21/10/2012

The Fish

That bit where Atkinson played advantage, waited for the mackems to miss, before awarding the free kick in a dangerous area. So they had TWO excellent chances to score. What the fuck was that about? :rolleyes:

Edited by Renton

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree.

I'd also say of those claiming it wasn't a red - how many of you, hand on heart would have thought the Mackems had been harshly dealt with if it had been the other way? Or more relevantly, how many of you would have been screaming "fix!" if one of theirs had got away with it?

As I said before people scream for a card all the time these days. It doesn't mean all those challenges deserve a card. Most of the time it's because the player goes down like he's been shot.

That bit where Atkinson played advantage, waited for the mackems to miss, before awarding the free kick in a dangerous area. So they had TWO excellent chances to score. What the fuck was that about? :rolleyes:
That really summned him up for me - I thought the rule was you only brought back play if the advantage petered out not ended up with a chance.Looking at his history and the fact that he gave us slightly dubious calls at SJP makes me think its not that he hates us, he's just a very strong Homer. Edited by NJS

careless. don't see how it could be the other two. he has one foot on the floor at one time. genuine attempt to win the ball if you ask me. it's a clumsy, late challenge rather than a malicious one. i don't think he went into it looking to injure the other player.

Didn't see it as an attempt to win the ball but rather as an attempt to recover the ball after losing it when fouled for which there was a free kick in our favour. He went to play the ball not Fletcher, and Fletcher came in like an express train and played the drama queen. It was not a straight red card not sure even a yellow.

BTW Pardew has never said that he believes it was a red.

“At first I did not think it was that bad a tackle but looking at the replays I don’t have any complaints.

"I have kind of accepted in my mind to accept it. There is absolutely no doubt - and I know Cheick - that he has not tried to do the player, he is just late, if I am honest, and the referee has deemed that a red."

Which is 100% correct. The referee made the decision that it was a red based on his interpretation of the severity of the challenge and the intent of Tiote. He got it wrong, but there was a foul there anbd it was completely careless and so to argue against the judgement of the referee when it's a matter open to interpretation would be unequivocally fruitless in the context of an appeal to the FA. They would never down grade or overturn it on principle alone. Pardew has accepted that and has rightfully moved on.

BTW how many of you on here saying that it wasn't worthy of a red felt that De Jong's challenge on Ben Arfa should have resulted in an early bath?

Can't have it both ways...

De jong lunged in both feet off the ground using vastly excessive force - frankly it's ridiculous to draw any comparisons between the two.

Ben-Arfa-blessure.jpg

Leazes Mag could have settled this debate.

Love this bio pmsl :lol:

NUFC matchgoer for 47 years. Not fooled by the NUFC bullshitters. Tells it like it is, to the annoyance of 10 year old babies on toontastic or from Singapore

De jong lunged in both feet off the ground using vastly excessive force - frankly it's ridiculous to draw any comparisons between the two.

Ben-Arfa-blessure.jpg

His right foot is irrelevant, and by most normal definitions that is not a two footed tackle.

WestHamTackle_468x345.jpg

This is. I don't see what de Jong's right foot has to do with anything there like.

Aye, that was shocking. Felt embarrassed for the bloke in the end, derbies like this are clearly beyond him.

As I said before people scream for a card all the time these days. It doesn't mean all those challenges deserve a card. Most of the time it's because the player goes down like he's been shot.

Aye agreed,but in this instance it was fully justified.

That bit where Atkinson played advantage, waited for the mackems to miss, before awarding the free kick in a dangerous area. So they had TWO excellent chances to score. What the f*ck was that about? :rolleyes:

I agreed - he was absolutely sh*te. But he called the Tiote situation spot on. One of the things he actually got right.

The Craig Gardner & Mike Williamson corners that were never given were utterly shocking - especially the first one!

BTW Pardew has never said that he believes it was a red.

Which is 100% correct. The referee made the decision that it was a red based on his interpretation of the severity of the challenge and the intent of Tiote. He got it wrong, but there was a foul there anbd it was completely careless and so to argue against the judgement of the referee when it's a matter open to interpretation would be unequivocally fruitless in the context of an appeal to the FA. They would never down grade or overturn it on principle alone. Pardew has accepted that and has rightfully moved on.

He also said:

"At first I didn't think it was that bad, but looking back at it again we can't have any complaints.

Aye agreed,but in this instance it was fully justified.

I disagree. The only thing bad about the challenge at all for me was that it ended up half way up his shin. But that was only because he was swinging for the ball and Fletcher got there first. It wasn't his studs, it was the inside of his foot. It wasn't overly aggressive he was just trying to make a good contact with the ball.

I really am at a loss to see why anyone would think it's a justifiable sending off.

I disagree. The only thing bad about the challenge at all for me was that it ended up half way up his shin. But that was only because he was swinging for the ball and Fletcher got there first. It wasn't his studs, it was the inside of his foot. It wasn't overly aggressive he was just trying to make a good contact with the ball.

I really am at a loss to see why anyone would think it's a justifiable sending off.

I agree with you. I didn't think it was a red at the time, and don't think it's a red now. What I take into account is that he's being pulled back by Colbeck. You can see he's trying to pull he weight forward but Ginger is holding him back. When the whistle blows, he lets go and Tiote looks to try harder to reach the ball. Now if he wasn't being pulled back, that 'challenge' would have met the ball, so I believe by Colbeck pulling, it causes the 'challenge' to happen. I don't think the ref has taken the whole situation into consideration. He's just seen the boot high and sent him off. Shame because we would have completely destroyed them.

Love this bio pmsl :lol:

NUFC matchgoer for 47 years. Not fooled by the NUFC bullshitters. Tells it like it is, to the annoyance of 10 year old babies on toontastic or from Singapore

Alex tried to sign up on HTT as Singapore-Toon last week and had his account deleted without being approved. :lol:

He also said:

[/i][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font]

Err....That was in my post?

Separating out the red card any people drawing comparison between Tiote's challenge and De Jong's are frankly being ridiculous.

Tiote got a red based on his reputation, if another player without the reputation had done the same thing it would have been a justified yellow card and there would have been no further discussion about it. The majority of other players would not be so foolish as to be so careless when they clearly just had to go to ground under a clear foul, so wrapping it up Tiote was fucking stupid and can blame noone but himself. I on the other hand can blame the referee for being influenced by the crowd and the name on the back of the shirt and subsequently making the wrong decision.

Edited by OTF