Newcastle v West Ham

topcat

Don't know if it's Cabaye's fault or Pardew's tactics, probably a combination of the two, but something has to change because we are getting nothing going down the middle attack wise. Not even a simple little one-two. There are no chances being created that start from the middle outside the box. Not sure yet Cabaye has the motor for it.

Edited by LooneyToony

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really?

Yes, really. I'd much rather have a go at actually trying to win something than finishing "top" of midtable. Fifth was great last year but we won the right to compete in Europe because of that. Not going to happen this year. Baffles me why teams that qualify for it don't try their best to win it (e.g. Villa under MON).

Yes, really. I'd much rather have a go at actually trying to win something than finishing "top" of midtable. Fifth was great last year but we won the right to compete in Europe because of that. Not going to happen this year. Baffles me why teams that qualify for it don't try their best to win it (e.g. Villa under MON).

Err...Cause the CL teams drop into it and pick off the survivors? :lol:

the useless little cunt missed our best chance; his fault we lost, unquestionably

Jesus Christ :lol: I can only assume CT has gotten to you.

and as for never making it, the lad is what 20? and barely had any first team football, no run of games either. Far too early to be writing him off. Same with Anita.

We have had a handful of 'poor' players written off the last few years who have gone on to be key players, Colo certainly got a fair amount of stick in his first season.

Edited by Gejon

Going to the home game this season is just totally de-moralising. After being buzzing about going to Bruges and having a class time, the Sunday games are turgid affairs. There's nee atmosphere, nee excitement, nee tactics and nowt to get excited about, utter shyte all round.

How hasn't Pardew worked out that 4 4 FUCKIN' 2 doesnt work, we are ballsack as a 4-4-2 team, especially when coming up against teams with 5 in midfield and playing players in positions that arent their natural position.

Jesus Christ :lol: I can only assume CT has gotten to you.

and as for never making it, the lad is what 20? and barely had any first team football, no run of games either. Far too early to be writing him off. Same with Anita.

We have had a handful of 'poor' players written off the last few years who have gone on to be key players, Colo certainly got a fair amount of stick in his first season.

Just an opinion is all. The Colo comparison is daft though as he was an established pro.

Oh, and this thread has gone odd.

Thought Ferguson did okay today tbh, put in a couple of decent crosses and worked his arse off, often stopping attacks from them :unsure2:

Agree with this and think if the majority of the team had put in a similar amount of effort then we would have had a much better result.

Basically, it's all been said today and what I've been saying for weeks, turgid football with no shape or style of play.its like watching a mid table team at the end of a season with nothing left to play for.

Those people who wernt panicking last week should start panicking now. Confidence looks shot throughout the team and there are no signs of green shoots.

I think some clearly have their eyes on pastures new.

I thought Ben Arfa led the way on effort followed by Ferguson ( who at least understands how to close someone down and get a tackle in. Several should follow his example).

After those two the rest were shite and the only winner today was Gemmil.

We are far from needing to panic. Looks like a mid table finish though. Maybe Cissoko and Douglas will come in and change things up a bit. I wouldnt be too disappointed if Cisse moved on tbh, even if he recaptures his form I think Ba's all round game offers more and, as I said previously, we could do with a different type of striker atm.

Lets hope we make a good go of Europe to make up for the shite league form

We are far from needing to panic. Looks like a mid table finish though. Maybe Cissoko and Douglas will come in and change things up a bit. I wouldnt be too disappointed if Cisse moved on tbh, even if he recaptures his form I think Ba's all round game offers more and, as I said previously, we could do with a different type of striker atm.

agreed.

we've lost a league game, not had a season fall to pieces; perspective is needed

Agree with this and think if the majority of the team had put in a similar amount of effort then we would have had a much better result.

Basically, it's all been said today and what I've been saying for weeks, turgid football with no shape or style of play.its like watching a mid table team at the end of a season with nothing left to play for.

Those people who wernt panicking last week should start panicking now. Confidence looks shot throughout the team and there are no signs of green shoots.

I think some clearly have their eyes on pastures new.

I thought Ben Arfa led the way on effort followed by Ferguson ( who at least understands how to close someone down and get a tackle in. Several should follow his example).

You'll be hinting at a relegation battle next week. Not sure you'll be able to bring out the "I told you so" line with that though.

And don't make out that Ferguson was that much better than any of the others.

What bothers me most is that overall we have some decent, talented players but sadly there is no consistancy in their performences as a team week by week. We have the same players as last season but you wouldn't think so by results.

Cisse is turning out to be a dud in regards to his efforts of his half season.

Cabaye seems to have lost his best efforts somewhere.

Santon is improving game by game.

Not sure of Anita's quality.

Wilson & Willo don't belong as first team starters.

Shola never changes, and that's not good.

BenArfa is a quality player.

Ba can be better with the right service and strike partner.

The Hammers were there to be hammered but our journeymen looked like they were on strike.

Must admit I'm always a little concerned about ex-players scoring against us.

And wouldn't you know it, ......... Nolan did us in.

Aye, who'd have thought one of their two forwards would score? That's eerie. :lol:

Pity he didn't bother for their goal.

Just got around to watching this and have to say that I wish I didn't.

What an eyesore of a match that was. We were utterly pathetic, not up for it, no movement no shape and seemingly no care.

On the individual front it's hard to single players out as it's the cohesion and teamwork that is missing. Noone is working hard for their teammates. Ben Arfa had some excellent runs, but his final balls were poor. Santon was dynamic and adept on balance probably our best player. Krul made a good save (though Carroll was off-side). Ba was quite decent in a very poor side.

The free-kicks to Williamson have to go, they're completely useless. Defensively Ferguson has a long way to go to be of suitable standard. He can get pace and movement on crosses but in this game they were very poor and never a threat. Badly scuffed a very good chance on his favoured left. Cabaye seemingly has no desire, doesn't do the hard work anymore and tries to score with ridiculous volleys. Anita plays like he's a physical presence, but he is not. Cisse is embarrassingly poor, his decision making, passing, off the ball runs... all of it.

What bothers me most is that overall we have some decent, talented players but sadly there is no consistancy in their performences as a team week by week. We have the same players as last season but you wouldn't think so by results.

Cisse is turning out to be a dud in regards to his efforts of his half season.

Cabaye seems to have lost his best efforts somewhere.

Santon is improving game by game.

Not sure of Anita's quality.

Wilson & Willo don't belong as first team starters.

Shola never changes, and that's not good.

BenArfa is a quality player.

Ba can be better with the right service and strike partner.

The Hammers were there to be hammered but our journeymen looked like they were on strike.

Pretty much spot on.

Enough quality players within that team to play a decent game of football so more of a worry why Pardew can't get one out of them.

This is the thing...most on here weren't predicting a return to the top 5 and as far back as the end of last season due to the rigours of the Europa League (and a lot were happy enough with that tbh, look at the various predictions back then) so I think CT's wummer comments are a bit of a joke tbh. Not that Pardew (rightly) used Europe as an excuse...he's rotated the squad well enough. Add to that other traditional knee-jerk comments about getting rid of Pardew from the usual suspect(s) and you'd think we were in Sothamptons posistion and not bimbling along in mid table.

Pardew's tactics this season are questionable, thats unarguable, but as we said yesterday, we regularly got into good enough posistions to create real oppurtunities but fucked up the final ball. And anyone expecting to see an NUFC side play like Keegans 1990s side in 2012 is living on another planet. We didnt do that last season either, we relied largely on brilliant runs of form from Ba,HBA and Cisse. Pardew is a pragmatist and demands safety first, thats why HBA couldnt get into the team last season until he bucked his ideas up defensively, and getting now forgotten compliments from many on here for the way he handled that. And he's got an 8 year contract so all those showering him with praise last season and annhilating him this need to have a think about it.

One thing thats plain as day for me though is that some of the top performers from last season dont look interested this season. I think a lot of heads have been turned. This is a trrue test of Pardew's ability as a manager. Redknapp acheived 4th last season from a similar posistion and set of circumstances so we'll see if Pardew can get the likes of Cabaye and Cisse firing again. Or maybe we'll see one or two of them go in January.

I didn't expect you to be too harsh on your Shane, but saying he was one of our top 2 performers is utter drivel.

Total Crosses and Accurate crosses...

Yohan Cabaye 8 5

Hatem Ben Arfa 6 1

Demba Ba 2 1

Danny Simpson 4 1

Shane Ferguson 7 0

For all your claims of him solving the problems we have getting good balls into the box he was a total failure yesterday.

His passing was good, but he hardly saw any of the ball. You could make the argumet that this is a seniority thing and he was a less used option. Personally I thought he wasn't finding the space he should have.

Before a ball was kicked I said we'd come 12th, the same as I said we'd come 5th last season. As soon as the season started and the transfer window closed, you could sense that it all seemed broken, the momentum lost, and without wishing to sound like a broken record, the man squarely to blame is Mike "Fat Bastard Scumbag Barrowboy" Ashley. I'm by no means suggesting Debuchy and another would've made us world beaters, but they would've continued the progress, from signing Fitz Hall 2 and a half years ago, to signing a world class full back. I appreciate they are businessmen, and get good deals, but £6m for someone of his calibre is hardly pushing the boat out. That is the fundamental problem is what we didn't do, and being patronised by the yes man that is Pardew about being "fankfuw to Mike" for NOT SELLING Tiote, and other players is just incredible. Yes be thankful to Mike for not building on 5th place and especially thankful for him not ripping our squad to bits. Arseholes. I could sense it was fucked August 18th, and the system we were using with Ba on the right really worked, but it seems to me Pards hasn't got the balls to piss Demba off by returning to the 433 with Cisse in the middle. It was working well, we were deservedly getting results instead of fluking them, and we have not played really well in one of our 18 games this season.

West Ham are shite, they are a nothing club with owners who will pay decent fees and wages to get players who are above their level, but they are still shite. Fat Sam for all his faults, given time, organises sides to the point where they are hard to beat. The defensive shape of West Ham yesterday was faultless, we'd get past one, there was somebody there, but we should still have the quality and energy to combat this, but it's just not there. We are so static it is unbelievable, there is such little movement, we just don't move off the ball. Our defensive rigid formation is fine when we're not conceding, but we're on the back of a 3-0 home defeat, a 2-2 draw with a team who have lost 5 of their last 6 (the one they didn't lose was against us, and they lost 6-1 yesterday) and the luckiest most undeserved win we've had at home in years against WBA. Because there is such a lack of fluidity the way we are playing, we rely on one of two things, long balls up to Shola or Ba to flick on (see opening goal against WBA), set pieces which we're shite at anyway imo, and Ben Arfa conjuring up a bit of magic. It's shit. Pards has proven a more than competent manager so far so he must be able to see why it's not happening and do something about it.

The crowd don't help neither, I think Ashley has sucked the life out of the stadium, but we have 10,000 people who get behind the side on occasion, and 40,000 mutes who are too boring or too inhibited to stand up and roar them on.

Edited by McFaul