Newcastle v Swansea (H) 17/11/2012

The Fish

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two home games we really ought to have won. 6 points dropped. Looks like we're reverting to type and last season really was a blip most of us feared.

All Ashley's fault for not putting his finger in his pocket this summer. The some addition of Anita plus a couple of kids not good enough.

I'm honestly surprised that I'm seeing such positive thoughts about this match. Home losses to Swansea and West Ham are not acceptable if you want to challenge even in the top 8 in this league.

We had two decent players on the pitch, HBA and Ba. The rest were absolutely dire.

Now I know we have injury problems and are missing our best CB and CM, but that's the point people are making- we KNEW that we wouldn't stay so healthy/lucky as we did last season (even without Europe folks) and that we couldn't rely on the likes of Williamson to push towards another top 6 finish. Let's face it- there were a lot of times we didn't deserve to win last year but did. Now maybe that luck has turned....

So we shouldn't be relying on that. We needed another young striker to challenge Cisse/Ba. We needed a full-back to challenge Simmo and even Santon if he's having a bad run. Frankly, I even thought we needed a winger. We got none of those- and spent a whole negative 3 million on transfers. For a squad taking on a bunch of extra matches, that's really poor.

It's not doom and gloom- I don't expect this team to be relegated or even have to fight that challenge at all. However, it's bitterly disappointing that after years of struggling to get back to the top 6 in English football we broke through and seem to let it slip out of our grasp. Had we made 10-15 million in investments- who knows where we'd be sitting right now.

Call me a pessimist- but I don't see the likes of Caybe, Ba, Ben Arfa etc willing to sit around for a club that's 12th in the Premier League.

Edited by colinh9

Let's face it- there were a lot of times we didn't deserve to win last year but did. Now maybe that luck has turned....

Let's not face it, thanks. If such a thing happens so often, it's not luck. Sure, there might be an element of luck but it's more to do with taking chances when the other team didn't.

We were "lucky" last season in terms of a relative lack of injuries/suspensions. To say we were lucky to have such form is unfair on the players and is an overly pessimistic point of view in my opinion.

Let's not face it, thanks. If such a thing happens so often, it's not luck. Sure, there might be an element of luck but it's more to do with taking chances when the other team didn't.

We were "lucky" last season in terms of a relative lack of injuries/suspensions. To say we were lucky to have such form is unfair on the players and is an overly pessimistic point of view in my opinion.

we were lucky in a lot of games when we went on that unbeaten run at the start of last season in that we ground out victories or draws which weren't deserved on the balance of play. we only played really well consistently at the back end of the season after signing cisse.

Really pissed at Pardew's interview. As expected, blamed everything on luck and injuries and Senegal. Pathetic. Yes it wasnt a great week for us, but that is to be expected at this level. All these things are. There are rubbish tactics and some rubbish players that need sorting. Get your thick head out of Ashley's arse for a while and realise there's a bit of a job to be done here. :angry2:

We had more shots today (26 excl blocked shots) than any team in the league has for 2 years. I can only remember 2 or 3 saves though. Far too many shots blazed over or blazed wide today

10 on target. More than Man City managed.

Well then, I hope you won't be claiming we were "unlucky" not to win today then

I've not read it all yet, but the complete about turn in this thread when the first goal went in is hilarious. 90% of comments up to then are positive, about hoe much better we look and are contolling the game. Then in one counter attack pardew is Shit and its been a shambles of a performance :D

We were horrid. Their goal came during our best period of play. Typical. It was all over from there. That's the kind of shit out of form teams don't cope with.

On a positive Benny showing no signs of sulking. He'd have had every right to sit down on the pitch today w/ the shit that he was surrounded with.

Did you see some of Benny's own shots? Lordy!

Nowhere near the problem, a bereft midfield and inability to cross or take chances is not on defenders.

We've scored 5 less and conceded 6 more than this time last year. Bit of both tbh. Our excellent start last year was built on the meanest defence in the league though. Not a bit if it this time around.

I sat at the game yesterday getting increasingly irate at a fella behind calling every player on the pitch a prick and a Dick and a cunt and a twat. So thick he was shouting contradictory bollocks. Raging that no-one was chasing for the ball one minute, apoplectic that we were shadow chasing the next. Vexed at Simpson not busting a gut and being late to come forward for a 50-50, outraged in the same run of play that he had vacated his position for a 50-50.

There were big laughs all around when in the end another fella loudly pronounced "here, there's some right doilums follow the toon".

He was spot on.

If you thought last year made us champions league contenders you're a doilum. If you boo the team off after 2 defeats in 6 you're a doilum too.

Bullshit, many of our games were eerily similar to the shit we have served up in the two last games (or the entire season for that matter). The difference is, we are now getting the results we deserve. We got away with it last year but when you play turgid fotball you are not going to be successful in the long run.

Your luck is bound to run out or the other teams find you out. Or both.

Pardew always starts out well in his clubs then faeces hits the proverbial, looks like that time has come to tyneside at least.

I predicted this last year and made no friends in doing so, but it seems to be happening at last. Cant say Im happy to be right, unfortunately i cant see many positives as long as ashley is owning the club...

Edited by Lake Bells tits

There is no such thing as luck.

Easier games early on, better discipline, staying injury free...all contribute to a roll, when you're on that roll momentum and belief are generated that are a massive part of continued success.

Ashley sucked all momentum that had been generated out of the club when he failed to dig any deeper in the summer.

We've scored 5 less and conceded 6 more than this time last year. Bit of both tbh. Our excellent start last year was built on the meanest defence in the league though. Not a bit if it this time around.

Aye but we also played a settled (or mostly undisrupted) side in that stretch as well, the whole strengthening thing is a red herring, we wanted a CB and FB, our weakness in putting teams away (or even scoring) would not have been solved by those additions, that's my only point really.

We actually did add depth to our midfield, of the right kind (developmental/cover) we weren't going to replace Cabaye/HBA/Tiote/Jonas. They've hardy played as a unit all season.

The first goal yesterday was a gift from one of our top players (and yeah I know no-one tracked the run, but they were completely wrong footed by a perfect twenty yard pass from our goalie to a winger in space), one of our other top players (Colo) has hardly played, even if we had strengthened at the back even the prospective "new" CB would have been a step down from Colo (playing well) because it's Colo, our best defender, that were missing at CB.

Danny Simpson is shite, crossing is not a difficult skill yet he's fucking useless at it. He's constantly out of position too. Williamson is out of his depth in the prem. Need defenders in Jan as a priority.

BA was shit yesterday but everyone is entitled to an off day.

There is no such thing as luck.

Easier games early on, better discipline, staying injury free...all contribute to a roll, when you're on that roll momentum and belief are generated that are a massive part of continued success.

Ashley sucked all momentum that had been generated out of the club when he failed to dig any deeper in the summer.

I cant disagree with the fact that the summer did us over, but you cant blame ashley for the poor physical condition, shit tactics and turgid fotball. Blaming it on the squad is burrowing the head in the sand.

A lot of lesser clubs serve up far better fotball at the moment with weaker squads.

There is no excuse for this, least of all lack of spending in the summer market.

Aye but we also played a settled (or mostly undisrupted) side in that stretch as well, the whole strengthening thing is a red herring, we wanted a CB and FB, our weakness in putting teams away (or even scoring) would not have been solved by those additions, that's my only point really.

We actually did add depth to our midfield, of the right kind (developmental/cover) we weren't going to replace Cabaye/HBA/Tiote/Jonas. They've hardy played as a unit all season.

The first goal yesterday was a gift from one of our top players (and yeah I know no-one tracked the run, but they were completely wrong footed by a perfect twenty yard pass from our goalie to a winger in space), one of our other top players (Colo) has hardly played, even if we had strengthened at the back even the prospective "new" CB would have been a step down from Colo (playing well) because it's Colo, our best defender, that were missing at CB.

See my previous post about momentum and strengthening. Cabaye's been the most publicised player to have been underwhelmed. I'm sure he's not alone.

I cant disagree with the fact that the summer did us over, but you cant blame ashley for the poor physical condition, shit tactics and turgid fotball. Blaming it on the squad is burrowing the head in the sand.

A lot of lesser clubs serve up far better fotball at the moment with weaker squads.

There is no excuse for this, least of all lack of spending in the summer market.

Spot on.