Newcastle v Swansea (H) 17/11/2012

The Fish

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree Fish. I know he will say stuff to protect or lift the players. Even though i know this it still bothers me. Then again, If he came out and slated the players fans would give him stick as well. We just need a cat to kick and he's it.

You'd have thought that last season's finish would give our average players, like Williamson, more confidence not less.

If they're starting to doubt their ability then we're in for a long season starting with 3 of the next 4 games away from home.

WTF is with everybody jamming "turgid" into their posts left, right and centre, and using it out of context? Is there a competition on to see who can overuse and misuse it the most.

it's taken over from "moral," which was last month's buzz word about the Wonga deal, when it should have been "ethical"

Next month we'll be using "complaisant" when we should be using "complacent"

Don't understand why people get so irate at what Managers say in an interview immediately after the game. I'd be surprised if they didn't choose their lines with both eyes firmly on the impact they'll have on the dressing room. Right now, we're playing without confidence, I can't imagine your boss saying you're fucking shit will inspire you that much. :lol:

I get that but nobody wants a public bashing episode anyway.

Pards has generally been quite objective in interviews for us which shows he believes our players are not so weak mentally so as to collapse over a bit of honesty from their manager. When we havent played well he's been man enough to admit so. So to see him start making excuses left right and centre now is a bit unsettling.

Oh well, much ado about nothing anyway.

Under Ashley, Pardew is about as good as it's going to get imo. There's no point swapping him for another moderately paid manager who isn't going to have much to spend. Also the odd season like last year now and again (if we're lucky) with mid-table being the norm is another thing we need to get used to. Changing the manager isn't going to change anything in the medium to long term. So I suggest you stick a tampon in and deal with it, Brevik.

Yup, we all knew when he arrived he wasn't a world beater or any better than average, the sensible amongst us knew last year was a case of screamers from in form strikers and a "perfect storm" of results from other teams slipping up and the fact we had no major injury catastrophes.

This season it's a bit more like what we all really know, outside of our fit first 11 we've no depth/cover to be challenging the top4 we're not even close.

Our first 11 when all playing will give anyone a game, but injuries suspensions and a drop of form will always happen and that's were we need luck to cover our weakness and we aren't always going get a 30yard screamer to save the day.

My mate says the same about his team Everton....they may be a good guideline for how we're likely to do under Ashley/Pardew. Good and bad spells during the season, leading to the inconsistancy which seperates the top 5/6 from mid table sides. Whether we're entitled to expect more is neither here nor there (I think we are, but its a bit of a folorn hope at the moment) things aren't going to change very much.

Whilst obviously not an Ashley sympathiser, I must say that the blame being laid at his door seems pretty desperate and smacks of Ashley haters who were forced to sit on their hands last season.

Since relegation (Yes, his own making so lets leave that to one side), he has stabilised the club no end and put us in an extremely healthy position.

Lets recap

Financially stable (not to be sniffed at given the current footballing climate).

Secured our best players on long term contracts.

Secured Managing, coaching and scouting staff on long term contracts.

Overseen the arrival of real talent through the door. (Tiote, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Ba, Cisse, Santon etc)

Kept a great squad that finished fifth together.

Added a raft of future stars to the squad and academy.

Overseen a return to European football.

Introduced the half price balti pie offer

Frozen ticket prices for 10 years

Set great pricing deals for European nights.

And probably other stuff I cant think of due typing whilst tapping my toes to the Mamma Mia soundtrack.

And yet here we have Team Ungrateful bleating on about all our woes been down to Ashley not spending the cash in the summer!!!

If Debuchy had arrived, 90% of people would have been fairly happy. He was who we held out for and who we didnt get, most likely due to the fact that the president of Lille was pissed off about us pick pocketing Cabaye.

All the things Ive listed above are the sort of sensible stabilising things we have been desperate for at Newcastle for years.

There are a few things that have fucked up this season including;

Cabaye having his head turned / playing with a groin injury

Injuries

Suspensions

etc

However the main one for me is the team Pardew has sent out and the negative football he has instructed us to play (More long balls than anyone else in the premiership ffs). This dismal playing style has chipped away at morale and confidence and we are now looking at a disjointed and disgruntled squad that could very easily get sucked into the mire. Very easily.

While its silly to talk about Pardew out, it is time for someone to take him to one side and give him a good fucking talking too.

If its not broke dont fix it.... If it is broke THEN FIX IT .

*and breathe......

There is very little ball retention and the long ball drives me mad. He have 3 very similar strikers and need to mix this up. Whether we put Ben Arfa off a striker or not.

I'd prefer a much more patient passing game with getting the ball up field on the deck and waiting until we have attackers in good positions. Pardews direct game paid off last season but it looks terrible when it it doesn't.

I think we may have been found out & have a few keys players missing/off form. We have 3/4 centre midfielders who all like sitting in the centre circle and dont link up in the attacking third. We actually miss Danny Guthrie a bit (sad as it is) when Cabaye isnt around. At least he could get the ball moving.

CT it was Ashley who appointed Pardew and Ashley who wouldnt do the deal for Debuchy. Or had that escaped your notice?

I'm not launching a huge lecture on what a cunt he is. His is the only game in town at the moment though and if he's just given Pardew an 8 year conract I expect he thinks he's doing fine.

CT it was Ashley who appointed Pardew and Ashley who wouldnt do the deal for Debuchy. Or had that escaped your notice?

I'm not launching a huge lecture on what a cunt he is. His is the only game in town at the moment though and if he's just given Pardew an 8 year conract I expect he thinks he's doing fine.

Only involves a two year pay-off though.

My understanding is we agreed a price for Debuchy and then they decided to up it again. Pretty obvious to most commentators the president of Lille didnt want to sell.

My understanding is we agreed a price for Debuchy and then they decided to up it again. Pretty obvious to most commentators the president of Lille didnt want to sell.

Wouldnt disagree, but then I'm not complaning that we didnt strengthen. We are where we are. I certainly don't disagree with much you've been saying, I just fail to see what can conceiveably change.

Well, I thought it was better up until they scored. Notice I said better, not good or excellent, just a little bit more coherent and a little less aimless than it has been. The goal then knocked the stuffing out of us.

Aye. Everyone else in this thread thought the same. There's not a single concern uttered over the performance in this thread until about quarter past 4. Then all of a sudden we're utter gash.

The same people who waxed lyrical last season about how great we were cos we were in the top 5 and winning games, despite playing some dour shit are the ones now complaining how shit we are despite what was a canny performance in large parts.

Doilums.

There is very little ball retention and the long ball drives me mad. He have 3 very similar strikers and need to mix this up. Whether we put Ben Arfa off a striker or not.

I'd prefer a much more patient passing game with getting the ball up field on the deck and waiting until we have attackers in good positions. Pardews direct game paid off last season but it looks terrible when it it doesn't.

I think we may have been found out & have a few keys players missing/off form. We have 3/4 centre midfielders who all like sitting in the centre circle and dont link up in the attacking third. We actually miss Danny Guthrie a bit (sad as it is) when Cabaye isnt around. At least he could get the ball moving.

3? :blink:

Shola? No no no no no no we are not putting him in the Ba/Cisse category!! :boss:

Wouldnt disagree, but then I'm not complaning that we didnt strengthen. We are where we are. I certainly don't disagree with much you've been saying, I just fail to see what can conceiveably change.

Lots could have changed. Most people seem to agree that we have improved our attacking play in the last two matches and the number of crosses / shots seem to back this up. Could we have changed earlier?

We have been one sided with HBA carrying the strain all season on the right. Might a few games in the middle have made him more dangerous and less predictable?

Then there is this defend fits / attack second approach that has seen us almost sit back and wait for teams to attack.

Ba not playing on the left is fine for him but doesnt suit the team.

These are all things that Pardew could tinker with rather than just continue with what hasnt worked.

Change seems to have been forced on him and come to late when the team is demoralised.

Regardless of injuries and summer signings etc, we have had enough quality players taking to the field to get us results and they havent.