Sir Patrick Moore

ADP

I used to love The sky at night until I saw him cavorting with Thatcher at a celebrity thiing for the 87 election campaign so its a qualified RIP from me.

Edited by NJS

I used to love The sky at night until I saw him cavorting with Thatcher at a celebrity thiing for the 87 election campaign so its a qualified RIP from me.

NJS, you shouldn't let stuff like that get to you. Yeah, he had right wing political views for whatever reason. But he popularised astronomy more in the UK of anyone since Carl Sagan.

This is really sad news, end of an era. Sad that people are equating him to gamesmaster as well.

NJS, you shouldn't let stuff like that get to you. Yeah, he had right wing political views for whatever reason. But he popularised astronomy more in the UK of anyone since Carl Sagan.

This is really sad news, end of an era. Sad that people are equating him to gamesmaster as well.

He was the gamesmaster though you nitwit.

RIP - a man who offered a fascinating insight into astronomy. Brilliantly British too.

I know. Brilliant planetary astronomer and populiser of science (much to the annoyances of fuckwits like wolfy), and people remember him for a bit part in a shit show about video games. There was more to him than Dexter Fletcher ffs.

Big supporter of the BNP apparently

Yeah he held extreme right wing views. Though, I've found if quite disturbing the amount of Patrick Moore quotations on facebook that demonstrates some of his right wing views. There is no defence for racism, homophobia, sexism, or bigotry in any format. But where were these quotes yesterday? I find it quite funny how have seemed to try and point score with the wackiest Patrick Moore quote they can find, as a means to solidify their own stance against bigotry... Does that mean his position on fox hunting cancels out his position on immigration? It's not a sense of 'respecting the dead', just a feeling of unease that that is the appropriate alternative to mourning nowadays for someone whose opinions are morally inaccurate. Nee need to be righteous.

Sorry just had to get that off my chest as these FB statuses have been driving me mental today!

Big supporter of the BNP apparently

He was a member of UKIP wasn't he? I haven't seen any link with the BNP.

And some of the quotes I've seen are nothing the average Daily Mail reader wouldn't be thinking, they weren't exactly racist.

His beeb obituary says he was a UKIP supporter but also a navigator in Bomber Command during the war. This experiance apparently made him deeply mistrustful of the idea of closer European ties and vehemently anti war. Which, it could be argued, is a bit contradictory. Strikes me as pretty much a product of his generation and class, and a very high acheiver across lots of things. He wrote and performed music despite never having had a music lesson in his life. He seems to have been hugely popular where he lived in Selsey. Seems a bit sad some folk are trying to establish their own credentials on the back of someones death, but there you go, thats t'internet for you...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10525469

His beeb obituary says he was a UKIP supporter but also a navigator in Bomber Command during the war. This experiance apparently made him deeply mistrustful of the idea of closer European ties and vehemently anti war. Which, it could be argued, is a bit contradictory. Strikes me as pretty much a product of his generation and class, and a very high acheiver across lots of things. He wrote and performed music despite never having had a music lesson in his life. He seems to have been hugely popular where he lived in Selsey. Seems a bit sad some folk are trying to establish their own credentials on the back of someones death, but there you go, thats t'internet for you...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10525469

I kind of understand that. My Great Uncle had a brother who was a POW in Japan and he was tortured to fuck, so he was massively anti-Japanese. On the flip side though, he was part of a choir and after the war they were sent over to Germany to tour as part of an attempt to build relationships and he loved it. Had loads of German friends after that, some even came to stay with him and my Auntie. Go figure.

Anyway, RIP big fella.

Who is establishing credentials?

It's sad an old man has died. He was a racist old man nevertheless. It's fairly black and white

Sir Patrick attacked over 'racist' comments By Nicola Woolcock (Filed: 24/10/2002)

Sir Patrick Moore was accused of racism yesterday after claiming that Britain was being "swamped by parasites".

Sir Patrick Moore The astronomer and television presenter made the comment while addressing a pensioners' meeting organised by the charity, Age Concern.He criticised the amount of Government and National Lottery money given to immigrants, compared with that spent on the elderly. "We are being swamped by people who come here because we are a soft touch. I know people will say 'racist, racist, racist'," he said.Asked to clarify his point outside the meeting in Winchester, Hants, the 79-year-old presenter of The Sky At Night said: "We are being swamped by parasites. Call me a racist but I would send them all back to where they came from."Everything we do for them takes away from what we can do for ourselves."

A spokesman for the National Assembly Against Racism described his speech as "inflammatory". "This is the sort of language one might expect to hear on a British National Party march not from a public figure."A spokesman for Age Concern said: "We are disappointed that the comments were made at an Age Concern event as they bear no relation to the charity's view."

Who is establishing credentials?

It's sad an old man has died. He was a racist old man nevertheless. It's fairly black and white

Why speak ill of the dead? Because you dont know his family and you're on the internet? Would you tell any bereaved family memebers of someone you did know a few home truths about their loved one?...