Gay Marriage in Churches

Christmas Tree

Can't speak from a religious viewpoint as that has never been something I have grown up with, but why would you want to marry in a church anyway? Christianity is a traditionally homophobic institution/religion and I don't know why you would want to be a part of that by having a church wedding. Don't know why you would want to be part of the institution of marriage as a gay couple in general. Appreciate the need for equality, and appreciate that this isn't the view held by the majority of the gay community (well, that is difficult to say), but gay marriage in the form being campaigned for isn't something I necessarily agree with.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't speak from a religious viewpoint as that has never been something I have grown up with, but why would you want to marry in a church anyway? Christianity is a traditionally homophobic institution/religion and I don't know why you would want to be a part of that by having a church wedding. Don't know why you would want to be part of the institution of marriage as a gay couple in general. Appreciate the need for equality, and appreciate that this isn't the view held by the majority of the gay community (well, that is difficult to say), but gay marriage in the form being campaigned for isn't something I necessarily agree with.

They're not campaigning for church marriages though. And I don't understand why you believe that gay couples shouldn't have any interest in the institution of marriage.

Marriage is a traditionally conservative, racist, and homophobic institution. I have no idea why you would want to be part of that. But then I err on the side of the radical queer theorists and don't necessarily believe homosexual relationships always need to show such heteronormativity. Like I say, I can see the need for some form of equality, but equality shouldn't necessarily negate diversity.

• 3 months later...

Mine voted against the pillock.

Might have to send a letter to my MP about this.

Knowing the bloke personally doesn't help, he's the biggest cunt I've ever met.