Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

CT - aside from the arguing, is there anything that has come to light post-Brexit that you feel is either not what you were promised, or which looks like it will be bad news for the country? Not asking you to regret your vote, just curious if you can see any downsides at all.

In terms of upsides, if we somehow manage to replicate our access to the EU with no meaningful changes, but are also then free to look at trade globally without restriction, this may be positive. That said, I don't understand the dynamics fully. And I can't be certain that the benefit will outweigh the publishment we'll get from Europe. Hypothetically it could be a positive though.

Also believe that politicians could now take the time to fear and cater for the working class vote. More of a byproduct than a direct effect of leaving the EU though.

Germany has just set out that we have to trigger Article 50 before any talks can happen. So there goes that plan. Boris and Gove are going to have to play a blinder here.

This is a really good post - the money is, of course, going to come from students. Fees will rise. That's the young damned again, CT.

To be fair though, we don't want experts. I think people in this country have had enough of experts!

Germany has just set out that we have to trigger Article 50 before any talks can happen. So there goes that plan. Boris and Gove are going to have to play a blinder here.

i don't see how the rest of the EU countries are going to let us withdraw from the union while keeping all the bits we liked about being in. BoJo's column in the Telegraph was pure fantasy - as if they're going to give us a one way street on freedom of movement. They're going to break our balls in the negotiations, and who can blame them? otherwise, every member state is going to hold an in/out referendum, which would surely lead to the EU breaking up given Brussels is even less popular in parts of continental Europe than it is here.

i don't see how the rest of the EU countries are going to let us withdraw from the union while keeping all the bits we liked about being in. BoJo's column in the Telegraph was pure fantasy - as if they're going to give us a one way street on freedom of movement. They're going to break our balls in the negotiations, and who can blame them? otherwise, every member state is going to hold an in/out referendum, which would surely lead to the EU breaking up given Brussels is even less popular in parts of continental Europe than it is here.

Didn't one of Merkel's subordinates just say that you don't get anything for nothing in this world?

CT, where's the money going to come from for this?

On a personal level this is scary, heartbreaking and infuriating in the extreme. Seen as part of the wider scheme of things, it's completely mind-boggling. UK universities have done so well out of EU funding and have managed to trade on former glories and prestige to make them an attractive proposition for EU grants, collaborations and researchers, and to therefore continue to access a very large slice of the EU pot. This has in turn kept them productive, competitive and prestigious, and the cycle continues. That is, it did before Friday. If anyone thinks a Tory government is now going to make up for these funding losses they have no idea what they're talking about. I don't blame people like CT for voting Leave. It's clear they just didn't understand what they were voting for and what the ramifications would be. But it really is almost beyond belief that something as monumentally stupid as this could have been allowed to happen. We're all fucked.

It's easy to respond that all "EU funding" is actually tax payers money that's gone on a jolly first so it could be reallocated directly but the basic stupidity of this is of course that it requires a Tory government to do so.

I'd love to think that the development funds that have aided the NE, Yorkshire, South Wales and the rest will be forthcoming - actually increased by the wake-up call - but that's fantasy.

It's easy to respond that all "EU funding" is actually tax payers money that's gone on a jolly first so it could be reallocated directly but the basic stupidity of this is of course that it requires a Tory government to do so.

I'd love to think that the development funds that have aided the NE, Yorkshire, South Wales and the rest will be forthcoming - actually increased by the wake-up call - but that's fantasy.

Ebbw Vale, a town so stupid they can't get vowels right, let alone work out which side their bread is buttered on...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/25/view-wales-town-showered-eu-cash-votes-leave-ebbw-vale

Exactly - the Tories are going to have to abandon their 'austerity'/ideological shrinking of the state in order to make up the shortfalls. Which they won't do, because if they did, they may as well be the Labour party.

Aye, this thread is basically everyone attempting to demonstrate to CT that the risks were too great with facts, evidence and statistics, and him ignoring us. He was initially undecided though, until it became clear that so many of us thought Brexit was a bad idea. Then he knew what his position had to be.

EDIT - Maria Eagles gone too. How the Tories must love the Labour Party... this is sensational stuff :lol: No coming back from this IMO, whatever happens. Will be really interesting to see if they manage it.

Edited by Rayvin

I like Corbyn and what he stands for but the general public, as well as a lot of the Labour party hate him. He has to go but Labour are in such a mess that it'll take them an age to challenge the Tories again. Labour had a great chance to capitalise on this this short storm but have shot themselves in the foot yet again. What a mess.

:lol: :lol:

Intro to Finance by CT "these things go up and down" ffs.

He's right though tbf.

I guess from the wrong perspective they could look like they're going in and out.

Aye, this thread is basically everyone attempting to demonstrate to CT that the risks were too great with facts, evidence and statistics, and him ignoring us. He was initially undecided though, until it became clear that so many of us thought Brexit was a bad idea. Then he knew what his position had to be.

Memo to CT:

The games up mate, your bell end-in-chief is having second thoughts...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/brexit-kelvin-mackenzie-eu-referendum-leave-vote-latest-news-bregret-the-sun-a7105431.html

I like Corbyn and what he stands for but the general public, as well as a lot of the Labour party hate him. He has to go but Labour are in such a mess that it'll take them an age to challenge the Tories again. Labour had a great chance to capitalise on this this short storm but have shot themselves in the foot yet again. What a mess.

He's not a leader though. He's not remotely enthusiastic (or seemingly capable) of getting his message across to the public. It's a massive failing irrespective of his beliefs and actually prevents those beliefs being heard on the whole. I agree with you and what HF said earlier in that I like and respect him a lot more than I do most of his colleagues but he's not the man for the job. Re: Labour, I'd rather they had a coup now if it's going to happen.

Re: Labour, I'd rather they had a coup now if it's going to happen.

I can see from their pov that if there is an election this year than its better now - I just don't think there's anyone inspiring to step up.