Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Did a return trip from Durham to Swansea the other week and yep - the motorways were fucking plastered with leave propaganda, which seemed to peak with a twin-screen giant Orwellian UKIP advert.

Frightening, so I necked two fosters, got a taxi, discussed the Brexit and went home to walk the whippet to the flat cap shop, leave guvnor.

:lol:

Presumably coming as no surprise to anyone, Sunderland is one of the most Eurosceptic cities in the country, because:

“We’re being taken over by foreigners,” he said. “People from Israel, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Syria – they all end up living here.”

Smoking under a plastic shelter away from an unseasonably arctic wind, a colleague, Mark Willshire, pointed out that none of those countries were actually in the EU. But Winyard’s mind was made up: “My great grandad fought for British independence. We shouldn’t let foreigners take over now.”

And of course:

Kevin Guthry, 59, who is on the Nissan apprenticeship scheme as a condition of collecting jobseeker’s allowance, said he too would be voting to leave. “Look at all these lads,” he said, gesturing with his lit cigarette, “these lads are here because they can’t get real jobs because of all the immigrants.” Guthry is a life-time Labour voter, but not any more. “I don’t like the new leader. It’ll be Ukip for me next time.”

Working at Nissan not being a real job, apparently.

Local people being forced into skilled factory jobs because of eastern Europeans taking up all the positions for harvesting asparagus by hand and the like.

Just watched the vote leave broadcast on bbc1. Wow. Absolutely no words for this. Unbelievable they can continue the same lies (Turkey joining EU tomorrow, we will spend 350M a week on the NHS if we leave, et fucking cetera) without a legal challenge.

Just watched the vote leave broadcast on bbc1. Wow. Absolutely no words for this. Unbelievable they can continue the same lies (Turkey joining EU tomorrow, we will spend 350M a week on the NHS if we leave, et fucking cetera) without a legal challenge.

Add to it lies and myths about legislation and jurisdiction. I only caught glimpses of the debate on itv but Boris Johnson again came up with european judges preventing the UK from deporting criminals and terrorists. What he doesn't mention - I am pretty sure he knows it - is that those decisions came from the European Court of human rights, an institution that has nothing to do with the EU and whose decisions the UK will still have to obey unless they will also discard the European Convention of Human rights, which is basically a British idea...

What specifically has turned you?

I was struggling to decide a few months back and the main thing that had me as remain was the possible risks towards companies like Nissan fucking off.

The more debates / news etc I watch, I think this is less likely (see JCB today).

The Eurozone seems to be self imploding and I believe we will continue to import BMW's / French wine etc and export our products.

It also then allows us the freedom to sell into new markets.

While I have no problem with immigrants, we need them, it seems sensible to have some controls on who we let in and how many (depending on economic needs).

I also get the impression Europe wants to get politically ever closer, which will leave us as in previous years, the annoyance in the room if we stay.

There's still time for me to shuffle back to remain, but that's where I am at the minute.

I think either result may lead to difficulties, but believe a mild economic bump the lesser of the two evils.

There's time yet though for a few flip flops ;)

I was struggling to decide a few months back and the main thing that had me as remain was the possible risks towards companies like Nissan fucking off.

The more debates / news etc I watch, I think this is less likely (see JCB today).

The Eurozone seems to be self imploding and I believe we will continue to import BMW's / French wine etc and export our products.

While I have no problem with immigrants, we need them, it seems sensible to have some controls on who we let in and how many (depending on economic needs).

I also get the impression Europe wants to get politically ever closer, which will leave us as in previous years, the annoyance in the room if we stay.

There's still time for me to shuffle back to remain, but that's where I am at the minute.

I think either result may lead to difficulties, but believe a mild economic bump the lesser of the two evils.

This is why democracy is failing.

Why are you citing JCB, the exception, when Nissan itself and Hitachi, 2 massive local employers, have already indicated they will stop investment in the event of Brexit?

How will immigration be controlled? In your own words please, I've been asking this for weeks now without answer.

Cameron has managed to get a clause that the UK will not be parted of increasing union. Do you not believe him? As it is, we're not part of the eurozone. or liable for it. We have border control because we're not in Schengen. We get a huge rebate. We're never going to get a better deal than that.

Oh, and the NE, like other poor regions, is a net beneficiary of EU spending. Never mind all this though, you and millions of other NE fossils want out. Thick as mince. :lol:

Edited by Renton

Why are you citing JCB, the exception, when Nissan itself and Hitachi, 2 massive local employers, have already indicated they will stop investment in the event of Brexit?

How will immigration be controlled? In your own words please, I've been asking this for weeks now without answer.

Cameron has managed to get a clause that the UK will not be parted of increasing union. Do you not believe him? As it is, we're not part of the eurozone. or liable for it. We have border control because we're not in Schengen. We get a huge rebate. We're never going to get a better deal than that.

Oh, and the NE, like other poor regions, is a net beneficiary of EU spending. Never mind all this though, you and millions of other NE fossils want out. Thick as mince. :lol:

:lol: and you expect an answer.

Unless we'd all come out for leave, in which case... :razz:

But in all seriousness, I think he could be a bellwether for how this is all going to turn out. People are conditioned to be fundamentally Eurosceptic and Remain is doing a lousy job of illustrating the areas where they shouldn't be. No wonder the campaign isn't catching fire.