Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If say a ref is agreed for August or September, I think the euro elections campaign will give us pointers on how the ref one will be - probably pretty tosic unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, NJS said:

If say a ref is agreed for August or September, I think the euro elections campaign will give us pointers on how the ref one will be - probably pretty tosic unfortunately. 

I don't know about this - there's a larger number of diehard remainers than diehard leavers, it would seem. Just compare the petitions.

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

JRM is now proposing that if we're staying for a year, we be total dickheads to the EU.

This is why I think we need to leave on the softest terms possible. It's not going away. 

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

JRM is now proposing that if we're staying for a year, we be total dickheads to the EU.

While inadvertently confirming that we have plenty of sovereignty and influence within the EU.

Just now, Renton said:

This is why I think we need to leave on the softest terms possible. It's not going away. 

It’s not going away anyway. It’s clear that the ERG are now viewing a soft Brexit as a staging post to go hard Brexit.

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I don't know about this - there's a larger number of diehard remainers than diehard leavers, it would seem. Just compare the petitions.

I'd hope that in the EU elections people will get over their usual apathy and get out and vote on the remain side. At the same time, how can you motivate u yourself to campaign when you know they could be cancelled at any time? 

Just now, ewerk said:

It’s not going away anyway. It’s clear that the ERG are now viewing a soft Brexit as a staging post to go hard Brexit.

I'm confident they will lose on that battle ground though. 

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Yeah but it isn’t the hardcore from either side that will win it. For remain it’s definitely about getting those who aren’t too bothered to get out and vote for the status quo.

Just now, Renton said:

I'm confident they will lose on that battle ground though. 

Why? Once May goes they get a hardliner in No.10. Your confidence isn’t based on anything. I was confident that remain would win the referendum and look where we’re at.

The thing for me is that nothing that has happened since the 2016 referendum should have swung any remainers over to leave, with the possible of exception of those who feel the government should honour the original vote. I can't really believe there are too many of those.

There -should- be plenty of leavers who, even if they don't want to stay in the EU, won't want TM's deal. Plus we have the extra 2 million young people + however many old people have died since.

You're right, we need to mobilise them, but surely, surely we can manage that. Surely.

17 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Why? Once May goes they get a hardliner in No.10. Your confidence isn’t based on anything. I was confident that remain would win the referendum and look where we’re at.

Well I wasn't confident in 2016. Why were you? 

If we are in a Norway plus situation, then that's a victory for leave. A pyrrhic victory, but victory nonetheless, we are out the EU. To then move from there to a harder Brexit the leavers will have to directly and honestly advocate leaving the SM. Causing huge problems with trade and agriculture, and breaking the GFA. That's a position they can never hope to get a majority for imo. 

Norway plus has always been the logical conclusion of this shitty referendum. You need to think of compromise, but more importantly you need to consider what's best for the EU as a whole. Are you honestly telling me you think they are better with us and obstructive shithouses like Farage in it? Increasingly EU27 members don't think so, and they are absolutely correct. 

Edited by Renton

To the surprise of no one, talks between Labour and the Tories have failed.

Now we move on to government backed indicative votes which will, also, fail.

PV2 miles away again, IMO. Only real chance of it was if Labour stitched it onto the WA.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

PV2 miles away again, IMO. Only real chance of it was if Labour stitched it onto the WA.

And with what Germany and France said today, a very real of falling out without a deal as well. This situation seems hopeless. May is just doing the same shit, over and over again, trying to frighten people into voting in her shitty deal. It's never going to work. What an utter cunt that woman is. If the below is true, that she won't even countenance a change to the wording of the political plan, its simply unforgivable. 

Meanwhile, the shadow Brexit secretary, Keir Starmer, said that the government was refusing to countenance changes to the political declaration negotiated with Brussels.

Edited by Renton

13 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Two sides to every story but, given what we already know, the claim that May is refusing to compromise is completely believable 

I don't follow. Assuming that information is accurate (of course it isn't), how is 44% (or 45%?) the preferred choice? 

The ERG are becoming increasingly desperate and dangerous. Its exactly right to compare them with other extremist groups in the EU and US. 

2 hours ago, Renton said:

I don't follow. Assuming that information is accurate (of course it isn't), how is 44% (or 45%?) the preferred choice? 

The ERG are becoming increasingly desperate and dangerous. Its exactly right to compare them with other extremist groups in the EU and US. 

It’s just a deliberate misquotation of the actual yougov poll, which actually came to the conclusion that hardly anybody, not even leavers, want a no deal outcome.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/04/04/what-do-public-think-about-no-deal-brexit

It are worrying times when even the political masterclass resort to those tactics and not just wilfully leave it to (russian) trolls and bots...

• Thanks 1